Sansui G-5500

bwalk63

Just picked this up yesterday for $85, cleaned and used Deoxit, powers up, but lamps for volt meters and tuning are out, so I ordered replacements. Going to hook it up tonight and compare it my HK 690i, which I love. But I heard good things about the G series and the price seemed pretty good. IMG_8930 2.jpeg IMG_8932.jpeg

I've never owned a "G" series receiver, so I can't tell you first hand about their sound qualities other than what I've read about them - so take that as being next to worthless. Nonetheless, what I've read is that the "G" series equipment sounds very nice, tight, and accurate to the signals fed to it. The same respondents reported that the notable "warmth" of the older series receivers is not a prominent feature of the "G" series. I would assume that to mean that the perceived "shaping" of the low frequency response is less pronounced.

One thing that I can say with utterly no fear of contradiction (since this is my opinion!) - the "G" series receivers are top five material when it comes to visuals. The size and placement of the knobs, indicators, and buttons on that beautiful aluminum faceplate is near perfection. Heck, at the right price, I'd buy a "G" series receiver just for the pleasure of looking at it!

GeeDeeEmm

From the interweb: The Sansui G series Receivers
sansui-g-22000.jpg

Sansui%20G-871DB.jpg

G33ka.jpg

IMG_8934.jpeg
I've never owned a "G" series receiver, so I can't tell you first hand about their sound qualities other than what I've read about them - so take that as being next to worthless. Nonetheless, what I've read is that the "G" series equipment sounds very nice, tight, and accurate to the signals fed to it. The same respondents reported that the notable "warmth" of the older series receivers is not a prominent feature of the "G" series. I would assume that to mean that the perceived "shaping" of the low frequency response is less pronounced.

One thing that I can say with utterly no fear of contradiction (since this is my opinion!) - the "G" series receivers are top five material when it comes to visuals. The size and placement of the knobs, indicators, and buttons on that beautiful aluminum faceplate is near perfection. Heck, at the right price, I'd buy a "G" series receiver just for the pleasure of looking at it!

GeeDeeEmm

From the interweb: The Sansui G series Receivers
sansui-g-22000.jpg

Sansui%20G-871DB.jpg

G33ka.jpg
They are good looking, sounds pretty good as well, not sure it is better than my HK, but has a different sound

Last edited:
I need to pick up a G series. I have had three 881s and while they sounded nice, I was not impressed with the build quality. All of them had warped light boxes that broke the solder on the back and shorted the lamp circuit. I would like to try a newer one to see the difference.

I need to pick up a G series. I have had three 881s and while they sounded nice, I was not impressed with the build quality. All of them had warped light boxes that broke the solder on the back and shorted the lamp circuit. I would like to try a newer one to see the difference.
I had to order new lamps but should be an easy fix. Hard fix might be get no FM reception. M HK picks up every channel within 50 miles

Back
Top Bottom