Sansui G-6000 bad left channel question

DirtyDog

Hi,

I'm a newbie to vintage receivers. I found a Sansui G-6000 for sale locally and I went to look at it but when I tested it there was a problem with the left channel.

It looks like there is a high power signal constantly being sent to the left channel on both A and B speaker outputs. When we hooked up a speaker to it and it had extremely loud static and started smoking and the speaker got fried. In any case, the left VU meter is permanently pegged to the max with some mild fluctuations.

Any ideas what could be causing this?

What's your idea of expensive? Outputs are around $5 apiece.

Last edited:
I almost guarantee you have at least one shorted output. And the fact that you burnt up a speaker indicates the protect circuit is not working as well. The protect relay should have reset at the same time as the transistor shorted. So that's two issues that need to be remedied.

Can you read a schematic? Do you have a multimeter?

Well, I ended up purchasing the broken G-6000 after all. I am not sure if I am up to fixing it or maybe I will send it out to get repaired. I have technical computer knowledge but not much electronics repair knowledge.

Nevertheless, I do have a multimeter and can probably figure out how to read a schematic.

If anyone has any suggestions as to what I might be able to do on my own before sending out to a repair shop I would appreciate it. (Any recommendations for a good electronics repair place in the Southern California area (Orange County)?)

I can post some pictures of the receiver too.

I had it repaired by a local electronics shop. They said they replaced 4 FETs on it. It seems to be working fine now.

Back
Top Bottom