Sansui Info Needed

Grumpy

Krusty old SOB! Yes, I own Audiokarma
Staff member
Admin
Sponsor
Subscriber
Hi all I passed on a set of Sansui today. Maybe I shouda maybe I shoudnt of. They were the

AU 999
TU 999

I can find gobs of info and pricing on any sansui model but these. I know the dates and that stuff but there has not been any sold on the Bay to give me an Idea of pricing. They were in super condition. Were these desirable? I know about the TU 919 but thats several years after these. Thanks

Dave

From our friends at Tuner Info site

Sansui TU-919 (1979, $585, photo) - The TU-919 is increasingly being recognized as a top tuner and a worthy rival of Sansui's classic TU-9900 (if a bit short of a TU-X1). The TU-919 has a 5-gang analog tuning capacitor with a digital LED readout like the TU-719 has. Our panelist Bob has details on the TU-919's 4 filters: “The filters are set up a little differently than, say, a KT-7500. The TU-919 uses three 280 kHz GDT flat group delay 3-pin filters for Wide mode, and what appears to be one 150 kHz 3-pin filter for Narrow - all Murata, and well-matched stock. In Narrow it is using all 4 filters, and in Wide just the three 280 GDT's. As a result, the Wide is not super wide, and really almost makes the narrow extraneous, sort of like the Accuphase T-100 or Kenwood KT-8005 or 8007. The TU-919 would probably be great for DXing with a 110 kHz filter in Narrow for getting adjacent channels.” The fifth gang makes the TU-919 more sensitive than the TU-717 and 719, and one of the members of our panel says his 919 is as sensitive as his Kenwood 600T! Our audiophile panelists agree that the TU-919 sounds great. Like the TU-719, the 919 is very good in stock (unmodified) form, with only minor improvement observed after modification. AM radio listeners should note that the TU-919 has a Wide-Narrow AM filter which can eliminate typical AM splatter noise, making it the best-sounding AM section our panelist Bob has ever heard. Bob adds, “Sensitivity is very good, and the TU-919 excels in having probably one of the best stock stereo blend noise filters. It really does a good job killing the noise, keeping the stereo image, without rolling off the highs. The ergonomics are good, but you are wishing you could turn the crystal lock off on occasion. It locks on and hangs on well past the indicated dial marking, then lets go. But it does then simply step to the next frequency (in .1's), no silly games there. It's just odd because you are now well past where the dial says you should be. It does this in both directions, depending on which way you approach the station.” The TU-919's current sale price range on eBay seems to be $330-475, depending heavily upon condition, but one sold for $638 in 4/02. The classicsansui.com site has images of a Sansui brochure on the TU-919.

Dennis

Dennis, Dave needs info on a TU999 not a 919. I myself have never heard of either of these model numbers. Maybe its a case of different model numbers for different areas of the world. I know that a lot of companies renumber their products that come to Canada.

Mike

Last edited:
Grumps,

AU999 is from 1970, 50wpc into 8 ohms. Weight 17.5 kg. Would appear to be top of the heap, or near, at that time. Styling wise, appears to be a carryover from the late sixties with mainly black knobs as they the models with all chrome/aluminium(?) knobs also started in 1970.

Perhaps as a guide, I have a AU555A from the same year and mint it can get $130 on the bay I believe.
Jack

The AU/TU 999 WERE TOTL integrated amp/tuner - and in the early '70s, Were they these units?:

AU-999.jpg

Sansui%20AU-999.jpg

TU-999.jpg

Sansui%20TU-999a.jpg

If I recall correctoly,l the tuner sold a few months ago for around 100 - 150 dollars. As for the amp, It would probably be around that price range too.

THE Tuner sold for 170 :
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1362458850

I personally like that series a lot, I hebe a middle of the line AU-555 and love it to death.

Chris

Thanks Guys

Kelly Hit the nail onthe head. They are indeed the 999 series. Believe me I was hoping they were of the 919 series :( The seller agreed to my price on the phone and then tried to hike it way up when I got there. I raised my price buy 40.00 undercutting his price buy 20.00. He said no...So I took my toys and went home:mad:

Dave

Grump

That SUX when people change their conditions from one moment to another - I'd tell him to GFH.

Pity, they are nice units, and would have fetched pretty good money at ebay.

Chris

Back
Top Bottom