Sansui or Marantz?

Which one do you prefer

• Total voters
Voted Marantz , but I have owned both and they each have great qualities. I like the legacy aspect with Marantz . ( Yes I'm fully aware of the ownership lineage )

OK, so I have a Marantz 8 stereo power amp and a Sansui SM-80 simulcast stereo receiver, both 1959 vintage. The Sansui is a delightful time capsule, the Marantz a benchmark Mullard topology amp. Apples and oranges.

Tube days marantz later on Sansui, especially for Quad, and then there was no other choice but Marantz. At least that's how I see it. I have owned Mcintosh for over 57 years. I do own a Marantz Prof CD recorder, but that's the only piece and I have never owned Sansui. Life was simple back then and all the Sansui we sold the customer installed them selves. Had a bunch of friends that owned Pioneer and Sansui and the Sansui performed just as well as the Pioneer Elite it seems, for a while anyway.

I bought a new Marantz amp once many decades ago. I found it to sound... weak. Sounded ok but it wasn't 'strong'.

Sansui has deep 'Punch'. I like that.

OK, so I have a Marantz 8 stereo power amp and a Sansui SM-80 simulcast stereo receiver, both 1959 vintage. The Sansui is a delightful time capsule, the Marantz a benchmark Mullard topology amp. Apples and oranges.

Got to wonder how a Sansui BA-303 would compare to the 8, it's a pretty serious amp! Rare though. The CA-303 is supposed to have been an effort to beat the marantz 7.

I owned a 2235B years ago and I think I remember that it sounded very good. I currently own an 881,771 and 551 Sansui and know they sound great. So until I obtain another Marantz, I have to go with Sansui...

Back
Top Bottom