Sansui R30 ... any good?

lunkrat

I found a Sansui R30 at a thrift for $9 in perfect, like-new condition.

Are these any good? Do I bother picking it up?

Thanks for your thoughts and wisdom,

:scratch2:

That was one of their mass consumption models. Plastic, fiberboard ... a real basic 25w box. Only thing it has in common with the more popular models is a big knob. <G>

Not saying it's a bad rig. Just not what you'd call audiophile grade for the sound room. For the money, it'd be good for the kid's room or the garage.

It is barely worth the $9.00. Particle board bottom. Terrible, cheap construction. The Sansui R, A and T series was the low point of their production. Not worth owning, IMO.

Great, thank you for your knowledge. I will not bother with it.

This is why I posted, now anyone who searches for Sansui R30 will get the scoop from this thread. Thanks folks!

I bought a R-410 at the thrift for cheap (see I bought a POS Sansui and … ). It's main feature for me is that it fits on the small shelf in the garage. It picks up my local jazz station pretty good. It sounds great with the Kenwood LSK-200D speakers that came with it.

If you buy the R30, it's likely way more fun than a 9 dollar movie.

Ya. Like I said, for that kind of money, if it works, it's a big step up from the typical barn tunes ... and a whole bunch prettier than an old car radio hooked up to a brick. <G>

The R30 is a receiver; this is the tuner forum, just so you know you are asking about vintage solid state audio in general.

Some on the forum here (including me) have found plenty of great deals at local thrift stores. So it depends on your selection situation and how much you already own and are using and where. For 9 dollars, its better than any sound source you are going to find at any retail outlet, again, for the $$.

Its a risk free purchase, without shipping charges. I had an R50 (there was an R70 also), and used it 25 years, last powering a set of Yamaha NS 670s (from a thrift store in Santa Barabara). Bought at the BX at Beale AFB, Ca. Would not have paid retail for the Yamahas, but didn't have to (they were $50 for the pair), and they were way better than the Sansui speakers that came bundled with the R50.

I think what others are saying is if you are just getting into the hobby, keep looking, and spend at least a tank of gas worth at the thrift for something more.

Last edited:
I found a Sansui R30 at a thrift for $9 in perfect, like-new condition.

Are these any good? Do I bother picking it up?

Thanks for your thoughts and wisdom,

:scratch2:
I've had the Sansui R-30 for many years and the stereo quality is excellent. The only servicing I had to do was spray the volume control potentiometer, which is normal for any aged stereo equipment.

I have one of these and I really like the stereo quality as well. Has a bright sound and radio reception is pretty good. Looks brand new still.

Back
Top Bottom