Sansui S-420U worth anything?

fxr_ryder

hey guys I have a chance at these speakers for $75, are they worth the money? Can't seem to find any reviews on them. I would be driving them with 65W.

If they are lightweight and fairly cheap, no, but I've been wrong before looking at pictures of speakers. Almost every mass market company made some really good ones, but Sansui isn't known for fantastic speakers in general. It's not a good sign that there are graphs on the front, for example. :biggrin:

There are many things we don't know:

Size and weight and specs on the Sansuis
How long you've been looking and what your other choices are (wherever you are)
Is this for a main system? First setup?
Type of music you listen to at what volumes

That sort of thing.

The main thing when you shop for speakers is to listen to them to verify all drivers are working and that you like the sound! That's the short answer.

Can you do better for $75? Maybe.

I just ran across these locally and was thinking about them for my 4th system. Using a spec 1 preamp, RG1, SG-8500 EQ, RT-707,PL-530 TT and hoping to find a SA-8500 amp. Need a nice set of speakers to match with it. Music varies from hard rock to easy listening at all volumes. I will pass on these as I may run across a better set, I'm really not in a hurry since I have the SX-450,SX-580 and SX-650 systems that does the job as a garage system. Thanks for the input!

I'd want to have a look at drivers and crossover and the overall weight and construction of these before judging. There seem to be opinions pro and con in this thread but none of us have laid hands or ears on them personally, so that's the only way to tell, absent some definitive info on the webbernet.

The ONLY series of speakers made my Sansui that are really worthy of owning, IMHO, is the XL series. While I am a BIG Sansui fan and collector, I am not so for most of their speaker lines. This model appears to be some matched set series from the 80's. I would pass and look for something from a dedicated speaker company.

LittleSnapper.jpg

The ONLY series of speakers made my Sansui that are really worthy of owning, IMHO, is the XL series. While I am a BIG Sansui fan and collector, I am not so for most of their speaker lines. This model appears to be some matched set series from the 80's. I would pass and look for something from a dedicated speaker company.

View attachment 1009286
Yes indeed! Now I do own a pair from the sp series and they are good in they're own right. But nothing comes close to the xl series in the Sansui line up, an I mean nothing. One of my most coveted pairs of speakers, the awesome Xl 500 . 4 way monsters with an awesome sound, looks and build quality. All 3/4 " cabinet walls, all cast aluminum drivers as well as cross carbon woofers. Sealed enclosed mids, adjusted highs and lows I love them! Hope to find a pair of the XL 900c's someday. An might I say when these baby's get rockin an thumping it's exhilarating.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    78.5 KB · Views: 18
At least use the WHOLE photo...

SansuiS-420U.jpg

not worth the time to look or listen
keep looking
your asking about pairing with decent equipment, and yet you are looking at bottom end speakers

not worth the time to look or listen
keep looking
your asking about pairing with decent equipment, and yet you are looking at bottom end speakers

And you're talking to a poster who asked 4 years ago. And hasn't been here in over a year.
keep looking:rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom