Sansui SP-1700 Good or Bad

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by CrazyCanuck1, Sep 24, 2016.

1. CrazyCanuck1

CrazyCanuck1 New Member

Hi everyone. My current speakers are Yamahas NS-L225's . I would like to upgrade and I can get these Sansui SP 1700 for 250.00Can. Are they an upgrade for me? They look huge and I think there's like 5 speakers so I'm not sure what to do. Help!! Thank you and have a great day and weekend, :)

Please register to disable this ad.

2. drbiggles

drbiggles I like bacon Subscriber

This post belongs in Dollars & Sense.

I'm not familiar with the 1700's, sold a pair of 1500's this morning. They probably do "okay", but not ever for that much.

Biggles

3. cubdog

cubdog banging through drywall Subscriber

They aren't bad speakers and not great. I like them more than many but I have a soft spot for them. I'm not familiar with your Yamaha's but would guess the Sansui's would be more of a lateral move.

drbiggles likes this.
  4. audiomagnate

audiomagnate Addicted Member

5. CrazyCanuck1

CrazyCanuck1 New Member

Yes!! those are my Yamaha speakers

6. audiomagnate

audiomagnate Addicted Member

Nice. I don't think you'd be happy with the Sansuis. They'll play a lot louder but won't be anywhere near as accurate. ADS floorstanders would be a true upgrade if you don't want to bother with a sub.

Please register to disable this ad.

7. Old Guy8

Old Guy8 AK Subscriber Subscriber

I have SP1200's, which are 10"ers. Mine have cloth woofer surrounds ith damping compound. It gets stiff with age. Can be removed with acetone and reapplied. Big plus for Sansuis is high WAF factor. They are beautiful cabs and grill.
    I could second audiomagnet on ADS speakers. I have two sets ADS L880's. My favorites.

8. AFP1

AFP1 Active Member

I have a set of Yamaha ns-244, which are similar to your 225's. I think they sound great. Just add a subwoofer and I think you will be very pleased. I'm not into speaker bashing, don't want to offend anyone. But the Sansui's would be a step backward.

drbiggles likes this.
  9. qpagoda

qpagoda Super Member

I have a couple of pairs of SP-1700's from a quad system. They are decent speakers but I wouldn't call them great. These speakers are from the early '70s so they are more than 40 years old. Mine did not sound good at all until I recapped the crossovers. There was almost no high frequency output until they had been recapped. Recapping was a bit of a pain but not really expensive.

drbiggles likes this.
  10. Losaiko1234

Losaiko1234 New Member

I've had both, stick with what you have. It's a fairly even trade in my opinion. It will take more money for a good quality upgrade. When you get enough take a serious look at the Klipsch rf82-II or rf-7-II. Just my opinion. I hope to get the r7-II when I can afford them. Losaiko1234