Sansui SP2500 speakers

Sp 300

SP300_2.jpg

I had some SP-300s that I gave to my son-in-law (who loves horns). A very nice speaker. Smooth. Heavy.

I have 2 pair of these, IMHO the best I have heard of any I've owned.
Casey

I drive my SP-2000s with a Leak Stereo 20 that I restored to original specs, along with its accompanying Point One Stereo pre-amp.

Absolutely fantastic when using vinyl or cds, given the Leak o/p is only 10w/ch and considering that I only paid $50 for them about 8 years ago.

There are a few SP-2000s to be found here in Oz that were brought back by diggers returning from Vietnam.

Ron.

I have a pair of original SP-2500s purchased at the PX in Germany in 1974. Listening to my Phase 4 quadraphonic albums on a Garrard SL95B turntable, the sound was absolute perfection to me, and the soundstage captured every movement of each instrument in its proper location in the studio. Elvis' "Aloha From Hawaii" through the SP-2500s provided a "you are there" experience, complete with goosebumps when the orchestra came up during some of the tracks, especially An American Trilogy.
Another good example was on Lynn Anderson's cover of Sunday Morning Coming Down when the choir joined Lynn during the chorus. Great memories!

The albums were stolen in a military move and my beautiful Z9000x receiver destroyed in a later move. I just picked up a like new pair of SS-20 headphones on e-bay (I know, different forum).

Sansui Rocks!

It's 2011 and I'm ready for some Sansui SP 2500

Thanks for the years of comments on the 2500s.....I am going to listen to a pair in mint condition for $40.... A few months ago I came across a pair of SP A3100....sealed box three ways that are apparently rare,unknown sealed box and built like tanks. The sound these are capable of producing is astounding given the age and the $12 pair price tag... I am curious to hear the 2500 and see how it compares...... All those sansui bashers......well, I got one pair so far that leaves many a jaw hanging open, the soundstage, ease, smoothness and impact are all addictive and musical to me..... I often wonder what is the dampening factor of peoples amplifiers when they cut on vintage speakers with huge drivers as having a lack of clean deep bass. Well, time for some time capsule fun.......I will report back

I've got a pair of 2500's I use with my Sansui 1000A. Also a pair of Bozak 207a's i think that's the number. The 2500's knock the Bozals down in so many ways. I will say this for the Bozak's tho. They sound better with my Fisher 400 than on the Sansui.

Probably the best $25.00 I've spent on speakers.

Larry

Old post, but the results remain the same. I still love the SP 300's, If I could find the odd non-polar caps I'd re-cap them.
Just put a refurbed set of SP 3500's in the dining room, marvelous, simply marvelous.:thmbsp:

Cool....:banana:

Mine are still going strong though I have replaced the caps since I last posted on this thread. I haven't been in the market for loudspeakers since I started using these.

Has anyone heard the Sansui SP2500x how do they compare/differ from the SP2500?
These will be driven by my G4500.

My Sp-2500's

I paid 20.00 for my sp-2500 ebay find. Wasn't sure what to expect, and to be frank was disappointed initially. Then I began reading posts about caps need to be replaced in speakers that are 20 or more years old. I ordered the needed caps from Parts Express and after getting them soldered in was awestruck at the change in the overall soundstage. It is well documented that the bass on the 2500's is a little muddy. I added a sub and it is the perfect fix. I have recapped a set of late 60's pioneers as well with the same result.

When you say you added a sub are you saying you disconnected the bass speaker inside the SP2500 and only use the "sub" for bass?

OR are you saying you use a sub in addition to the existing speaker unchanged?

So thats one sub for the set of speakers or two subs?
Just asking.I like mine enough and have a second set of SP2500 guts including the crossovers with no cabinets.
I have been thinking of mounting the guts in a slightly larger box.Still researching that aspect.Or maybe using a Zilch crossover from off the econowave thread.

Since I have a set of 4 I replaced the woofers with new better range ones. I have also had to tune them to some degree. That is to say speaker placement and disconnecting some tweeters and midranges because these speakers can break glass because of the crystal high frequencies they produce. In fact, Sansui used to promote these speakers by demonstrating they can, in fact, shatter glass. It was John Atkinson that told me about that. He personally seen the demonstration.

Adding a dedicated sub is not going to get rid of the muddy bass because the original muddy woofers are still blowing and going at the same time. Today's better functioning amplifiers can really bring out the best in these old speakers. Thus, the muddy woofers were not that bad. I just needed a little improvement. After all, they are going on 37 years old.

Last edited:
sansui speakers

hi, i have often thought that the best items sanui made were speakers. their speakers are generally very sensitive, and are clear. some can be too much in the mids and highs. the sp2500 would have a really nice sound. i am going to see about a pair tomorrow. i want to see how those compare to some klipsch speakers i have now, and how they sound with a tube amp- a jolida 102. i have a mac 1900, and marantz 1070. all sound nice. need a second pair of speakers. had a pair of klipsch delivered ups yesterday. damaged, and so cheap these days. made like junk- sounded good, but construction wise just junk. i am tired of everything being such overpriced plastic junk. i sure wish i had not sold my advent 6003s- rare, and sound great. why? ask myself that a lot these days. i am happy with jolida for the money, but real tired of black plastic junk. and too old and weak to handle 75 pound speakers. i cannot see paying $1500 for a pair of speakers with two 6" drivers, and a tweeter. Or maybe even 1 6" driver. What? Paradigm? Are those any good? Later guys. BobA.

There is plenty of room to experiment with the SP2500. Example, since I run four at the same time I needed to disconnect some of the tweeters and midranges to bring that down a little. I also put in new woofers in one pair to bring the lows down a little too. Every room is different but the point I'm trying to make is the SP2500 is well built and can be tuned both with the controls on the back and your own improvements to suit your needs. I have not even thought about getting any speakers in the years since I got these. I'm also one of those that eventually replaced the capacitors. If I took the covers off I wouldn't be surprised to see if I blocked off a port or two as well.

I'm also curious about the Klipsch comparison. Old Sansui vs. New Klipsch.

Last edited:
Sansui SP-3500/SP-5500: Weak bass

Four points:

1) After the passage of these many years, the doped cloth half roll suspension on the 14" woofer (W-114) used in these speakers contracts rigor mortis, meaning the suspension stiffens up. I typically find their free air resonance, which should be around 40 Hz, to have risen to 75Hz, or higher. This gives rise to weaker bass than when new and excessive boominess.

2) The approximately 1.3 cu ft. net enclosure volume in the SP-3500 is too small for the 14" woofer, even when it was new. In order to achieve a "proper" modern woofer alignment, the enclosure needs to have about 3.5 cu ft. net. I think the SP-5500 has a slightly bigger box, but probably is still substantially too small.

Maybe somebody with time, skill, tools, and a flair for adventure, who owns a set SP-3500 speakers would be willing to cut the backs off their speakers and extend the box depth by the 10" required for them to achieve that volume and report back with the results. Of course, the ports would have to be re tuned at the same time. If someone actually wanted to do this, I would be wiling to work out, and provide, the port dimensions required for correctly re tuning the cabinets.

3) The W-114 woofer is rated for 50 Watts, even though it has an aluminum coil former. The reason for the low power rating is that it only has about 2mm of coil overhang outside of the magnet pole pieces, thus having very limited linear displacement capacity.

4) These speakers will have their best bass performance with an amplifier that has minimal damping, rather than the high damping associated with most modern amplifiers. Not coincidentally, Sansui amplifiers of the mid to late 1960s had low damping.

TG

Sansui Speakers:

I really like them. Sounds great to me. The 'Sound of Sansui'. Wouldn't have it any other way.

I've always wanted a pair of JBLs, but it's really not necessary. Not even looking for a pair, don't even know the model numbers really.

I'm very happy with Sansui speakers. Sounds great to me. Sounds really good with a TU-717 too, great really.

And the 12 inch AlNiCo woofer and mids...perfect. Perfect enough. Not bad for 43 year old speakers!! :)

There's always better, there's always worse.

Sansui speakers work for me. Sound good on low volumn and they crank if you want them too. And really even sound better when you turn up the volumn. But they sound sound great on low volumn too. "The big box sound".

Works for me. Quite happy, and 'content', with SP-2000s. And I reallly love the AS-100s too

Last edited:
I have a pair of SP-3500's and they had very weak bass as previously described when I got them so one day I got to thinking and pulled out a hip hop LP with a 10 or 15 minute passage of nothing but bass and other low frequencies on it and I played it at an extremely high volume to a level that would have been totally intolerable with full range music and this got those woofers moving a hell of a lot more air than they had before or since..

Since then the bass response has improved...

Brute force audio I guess you could say

Back
Top Bottom