Sansui SP2500 speakers

Thank you, sir. I may just replace the woofer with a modest $in woofer and run them straight to a power amp and let my se tube run the mids and highs and see what I get...unless the stock woofers loosen up....mine are rather stiff from sitting around unused

I first saw the Sansui SP2500 when I was a child. My father kept these speakers in the garage and used them as stands. I was so young when my dad passed and left me these speakers, I tried for a long time to figure out how to connect it, and once I did it! I was struck by the gorgeous sound of these speakers. It was very unfortunate to part with this legacy when our family moved to LA. I tried to find the same ones, but as a result, I chose these:: https://besttechexpert.guide/ and I must say that it sounds no worse.

Last edited:
Old thread, I know, but for anyone happening along here looking for information, as I often do... I own a pair of these, and also a pair of the SP X6000, and a pair of a SP 200's. Oh yrah, and a pair of SP 3000's. I have several other pairs, such as Dynaco Model 25, Paradigm 5se, some nice Yamaha towers, Elac B5 and B6, so I do know the difference between "party speakers" and the soundstage and imaging often negatively associated with them. That being said, I really think a lot of it depends on very much on the gear driving them. I use a Pioneer SX 939, Kenwood KR-4070, even my Sony STR-V3 makes these Sansui's sound really good. I think you need to stick with a receiver or amplifier of the same time period to get the best out of them. They are available really cheap still, they look great, and I really like the sound. I run a pair of Grafyx Model 10's, paired with the Dynacos and powered by a Rotel RX-2001 on my main rig, and switch to the Sansuis from the Grafyx every once in awhile just for something different. I recently bought a pair of the LM-110 Sansui's, and those will surprise you as well. Sansui is well known and respected for their receivers and tuners back in the day, but I don't understand why people are so down on their speakers. Maybe it's the "kabuki" style, I don't know. They really sound nice to me.

Two reasons Sansui speakers [generally] get a bad rap:

1. Most of their well known models are loaded with what are perceived to be an excessive number of drivers. This was partly marketing (the age old more is better mentality). However, it was also an effort to enhance the soundstage - as with the SP- 2500's - where there are two mids and two tweeters mounted such that they (in theory anyway) enhance the sweet spot and reduce the directionality of the mid and high frequencies.

2. They sound "different" from contemporary speakers. They were built to a particular sensibility of Japanese speaker design at a certain point in time. In the early to mid 70's, vinyl and FM were the predominant listening material sources. Thus, frequency response at the extremes (low and high end) weren't as good as we have it now days.

This meant speakers were designed to achieve effective low frequency response down to maybe 50Hz typically, high end response usually made it to 18-20kHz, but most sources didn't hit that high on output anyway.

At any rate, when compared to contemporary speaker designs and the way they sound (usually with tweeters that aren't horns, as often used by Sansui in the late 60's to late 70's) most people are thrown off by the distinctly different sound quality. Old capacitors in the original crossovers don't help either.

Now, as Sansui moved into the later 70's and 80's, the cost reductions and trend towards more oversized "party speakers", the perception of the quality of their speakers suffered and there is probably some hangover effect from that on their earlier models.

All that said, if you look at a model like the 2500's and related ones in that series, they were exceptionally well made. You really can't fault the cabinet construction, the joinery and finish is very well done. The individual drivers are of good quality and the woofers have very robust magnets for their size. The crossovers are a bit unusual and have a weak spot in the mid and high range level controls due to using open frame rotary switches that tarnish badly, but those can be cleaned to restore them to original condition.

Overall, I like the SP-1200 to 3500 series. There are also the SP-5500'S which are reallly part of this same line. They are outstanding, but seldom seen so most will not be familiar with them.

Are the SP X6000 part of this same series? I have an opportunity to do a little trading with a guy, and get a few more pairs that I don't already have. Here' a few pictures. Be trading a KA-405 Kenwood amp and matching tuner, and a pair of Yamaha towers, NS A1638. He may have a pair of older lattice grill Pioneers. Waiting to hear back from him on the model. Thanks for the input and sharing some of your knowledge, Sansuiman! I love the vintage stuff, and yes, I have a sweet spot for Sansui speakers. The build quality and cabinet construction, to me, is worth picking them up even if the internals are shot. With a little extra bracing, and some slight custom mods, they are a great foundation to start with, if anyone is looking to build a pair of nice speakers. I'll definitely be keepin an eye out for the 5500's now.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2019-01-19-08-36-53.png
    Screenshot_2019-01-19-08-36-53.png
    314.4 KB · Views: 55
  • Screenshot_2019-01-19-08-38-23.png
    Screenshot_2019-01-19-08-38-23.png
    374.1 KB · Views: 49
  • Screenshot_2019-01-19-08-37-01.png
    Screenshot_2019-01-19-08-37-01.png
    321.3 KB · Views: 46
  • Screenshot_2019-01-19-08-37-09.png
    Screenshot_2019-01-19-08-37-09.png
    195.5 KB · Views: 49
SP-X6000 are of a different - and later - series of speakers. The SP-X models typically had cost reduced cabinets finished in woodgrain look vinyl rather than real walnut veneer. They also were more commonly found with a larger complement of drivers - up to 7 in one cabinetgornsome models - and the upper range of models (60000-9000) had large (15-18"") woofers.

The quality of the cabinets and individual drivers was not as good as the SP series of the early to mid 70's. The grilles were cost reduced as well, still having the wood lattice look, but in a flat and much larger pattern than previous series. Input power handling was typically higher on the SP-X models, but that was about the only improvement over previous model series. They aren't terrible speakers, but are noticeably decontented from the quality of earlier models.

This coincides with the need for cost reductions as the dollar/yen exchange rate became far less favorable to the Japanese manufacturers. It was also a function of a change in what was popular, and big party speakers were much more sought after in the 1976-1980 time frame, at least in the US.

Bottom is 700Hz.
Out of curiosity does anyone know what the total/average impedance of what the mids and highs produce without the woofer hooked up to the crossover? I recapped the original crossover but want the 6ohm woofer replaced and run by a separate power amp.....with the mids and tweets run by a lower powered tube amp. But wanted to make sure the impedance would be normal in range. The tweets are like 14ohm in parallel and the squawjers are like 12ohm in parallel with a 6ohm woofer that is fed directly through the crossover because it has it's own low pass built into the driver. So, with the woofer disconnected and filtered and run through a different amp, will the impedance be normal for the amp running thr upper end?

I am enjoying Miles Davis, Dave Brubeck and even Fleetwood Mac albums through my SP-2000s placed directly on hardwood floor and driven by Sansui 1000A receiver. Wide soundstage and treble and bass response as intended on the record.

This is three minutes from me, and they look in fine condition, but I just can't rationalize the cost.

I run a Sansui G9000DB with Klipsch Cornwalls and am very happy but have always wondered about Sansui with Sansui...

https://lewiston.craigslist.org/ele/d/uniontown-sansui-sp-2500-speakers/7268190488.html

Apologies for the ancient thread resurrection.

Yeah, that’s a tough one. They really do look nice. Sound nice too, especially after a recap and loosening of the surrounds. Without ever having heard Cornwalls, I can’t compare the sound for you, but the Sansui’s are quite efficient and pair well with both low-powered solid state and tubes amps.

Last edited:
You better off with what you have plus they are asking too much. It is not just the caps on those crossovers that get old and squirrely

As much as I like certain Sansui speakers, if you are already running Cornwalls, I can't imagine the 2500's will best them in any way. Klipsch are in a league of their own, and I'm under no illusions that Sansui speakers run in the same circles.

Yeah, that’s a tough one. They really do look nice. Sound nice too, especially after a recap and loosening of the surrounds. Without ever having heard Cornwalls, I can’t compare the sound for you, but the Sansui’s are quite efficient and pair well with both low-powered solid state and tubes amps.
How do you loosen the surrounds??

Believe it or not, one method is to treat the surrounds with DOT-3 brake fluid. If you search Google you will find a number of examples. E.g.

https://audiokarma.org/forums/index...round-restoration.565910/page-2#post-13382293

and...

https://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/sansui-sp-2000-bass-fix.885119/

Caveat emptor, but it worked great on mine. I don’t have a proper mic to do measurements, but the bass on mine opened up after treatment. Even just manually pushing on the woofer was much easier after treatment.

Believe it or not, one method is to treat the surrounds with DOT-3 brake fluid. If you search Google you will find a number of examples. E.g.

https://audiokarma.org/forums/index...round-restoration.565910/page-2#post-13382293

and...

Caveat emptor, but it worked great on mine. I don’t have a proper mic to do measurements, but the bass on mine opened up after treatment. Even just manually pushing on the woofer had much less resistance after treatment.
Can do that. The squawker is so shrill I have no hope for it. it and the woofer both took to higher frequencies after i changed the Caps with film caps.
I would love to be able to document whatever differences were made by treating the surrounds. All I need is a freq generator, o scope and a good mic setup.

and...

Caveat emptor, but it worked great on mine. I don’t have a proper mic to do measurements, but the bass on mine opened up after treatment. Even just manually pushing on the woofer was much easier after treatment.
Looking it over I had read this before and was thinking of looking it up. Thanks.

I had a pair of SP-2500's a couple years ago, and took measurements before and after the DOT-3 treatment. Actually, I'm pretty sure most of the posts about this method will be from me haha.

In stock form, with the hardened surrounds, they have a very pathetic bass response, rolling off sharply after about 80Hz or so. The mid-bass/midrange is also kinda boxy and bleh, just not a pleasant sounding speaker whatsoever.
Before DOT3.png

After DOT3.png

I put a couple coats of DOT-3 on the surrounds and let them sit overnight, and then reinstalled them the next morning. It opened up a fair amount of bass extension for them, with solid bass down to about 60Hz. That's not exactly enough to shake the foundation, but it provides enough bass to be satisfying without a sub. The bass response seemed to get better as you got further away, especially at high volume. Looking at the graphs now, I wonder if I didn't overdo the DOT-3, since I see a bit of a dip at the woofer/mid transition point (600Hz) that wasn't there before. Ah well, so much for that.

I can say that the DOT-3 method did not work out quite as well with the SP-2000's. It did seem to loosen the woofers up a bit, but it wasn't nearly as dramatic as it was with the 2500's. Perhaps the acetone/VintageAR method would have worked better, or maybe they're just meant to be that stiff. They did seem to have a bit more bass to them in stock form, although the bass rolloff was still pretty obvious. Just a little FYI.

I had a pair of SP-2500's a couple years ago, and took measurements before and after the DOT-3 treatment. Actually, I'm pretty sure most of the posts about this method will be from me haha.

In stock form, with the hardened surrounds, they have a very pathetic bass response, rolling off sharply after about 80Hz or so. The mid-bass/midrange is also kinda boxy and bleh, just not a pleasant sounding speaker whatsoever.
View attachment 2118045

View attachment 2118047

I put a couple coats of DOT-3 on the surrounds and let them sit overnight, and then reinstalled them the next morning. It opened up a fair amount of bass extension for them, with solid bass down to about 60Hz. That's not exactly enough to shake the foundation, but it provides enough bass to be satisfying without a sub. The bass response seemed to get better as you got further away, especially at high volume. Looking at the graphs now, I wonder if I didn't overdo the DOT-3, since I see a bit of a dip at the woofer/mid transition point (600Hz) that wasn't there before. Ah well, so much for that.

I can say that the DOT-3 method did not work out quite as well with the SP-2000's. It did seem to loosen the woofers up a bit, but it wasn't nearly as dramatic as it was with the 2500's. Perhaps the acetone/VintageAR method would have worked better, or maybe they're just meant to be that stiff. They did seem to have a bit more bass to them in stock form, although the bass rolloff was still pretty obvious. Just a little FYI.
What were you measuring this with??

Room EQ Wizard, and a basic Blue Yeti microphone set to Omnidirectional mode. It's not the flattest mic, nor was it in the best room, so don't take those measurements as gospel, just an illustration of the difference.

Back
Top Bottom