Sansui SR 212 noob questions

BMG

Hi everyone,
Anxious to get back into playing vinyl. After keeping an eye open on CL I picked up a Sansui sr212. Got it for a decent price (60.00) and cosmetically it's pretty clean. Original owner and had the original manual and 45 spacer. Ordered a new belt and installed. I moved the arm and the spindle from the motor turns quickly and is smooth, and quiet. (Pretty excited when I saw that) but once the belt was was on, the platter moves very slowly. So, the question.... should the platter spin freely without the belt installed? Right now it's fairly labored using my finger to turn the platter. Again, the motor runs quietly and seems to be spinning quickly and smooth. The platter seems to drag.

Thanks in advance as I work to get this back in service.

BMG

You will probably have to clean and re-lube the main bearing. Platter should turn very freely without the belt.

I think that spindle can be lubed through a small hole in the side of the spindle well, accessible from inside. However if it is that stiff, I would pull it out and clean thoroughly first.

Thanks, that's my suspicion. I popped the board off the underside so I could look at the workings without removing it from the plinth. It looks like there is a set screw on the side wall of the shaft that the spindle is in. The top side Of The spindle has gears that tooth up with a plastic gear that I'm guessing cues the auto return?

Here is a pic

Attachments

• 20170724_210618.jpg
    20170724_210618.jpg
    70 KB · Views: 23
See those 2 slots with screws in them at top and left in your pic? If you loosen those screws you can then slide the catches back that hold that top plate in the base.

Lift the base out. If there is a little screw on the side of the spindle well underneath, take it out. Now you should be able to pull the spindle out. It might resist you for the same reason you have the drag, the dried up lubricant. Clean it off and the well too. Oil it as you put it back together and it will usually now be fine.

Perfect! Will try when I get home. I know this is one of the most hotly debated topics here (I've been reading) but which oil to use? Any suggestions for this Sansui?

Back
Top Bottom