Sansui SR 929 TT - opinions?

sancho22

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
I am wondering what is your experience with the SR 929?
If any owners read this could you please chime in?

I am thinking (t one point in the future) to expand my TT collection.
Thanks and Happy New Yera all!

It was top of the line when it was being sold. I've never heard a negative word about it.

Thanks guys. I did find some vintage Sansui sites which confirmed the comments you made. I am wondering about real life experience though.
I ahve a Music Hall 2.2 and a Marantz 6100 and would consider at one point to complete my Sansui line with the TT.
You are rught - it will also depend on the price and condition of course.

the 929 is a killer turntable with an absolutely beautiful appearance. However, the prices they go for usually make them impossible for the average joe to own

I have one and use as a part of my main set-up. I have a Shure V15 III on it and the combination works well. I do have some occasional problems with the quartz lock not working. It seems to be related to static electricity and I have to be careful about discharging any build-up that I have before touching the table. I can usually fix the problem by shooting the table with my Zero-Stat when it does happen. I have read that there may be a grounding issue with the electronics that causes it to lose the quartz control.

I also have a Thorens TD 160 and a Rega Planar 2 with the RB 250 arm. Between the Sansui and Thorens, I would be hard pressed to pick the better of the two. The Rega gathers dust.

Mike

Much appreciated!
They do seem to go for a few hundred around the level of a new Music Hall or Rega. I will keep my eyes out for one and one day hopefully get it. The Thorens you mentioned is also someting really nice.
Again thank you all!

I think if I could find one for 4 bills or under then I would most definatly go for it, beyond that theres just too much competition.

Nice tt! There is one for sale locally for about $400. The price is ok but I would have to revise my whole stereo rack since it has a glass shelf.

All about the SR-838s and SR-929s:

I have an SR-838, and love it. The 838s and the 929s are fantastic TTs! They are both Sansui's TOTL Best. The 929 arm is operated from the back of the tonearm. The 828 tonearm is operated by a lever on the front top of the TT base, much easier to operate. Both are manual. Check out many pictures of both of them before you decide.

Both are beautiful TTs, I mean just gorgeous!!!!!!! And sound wonderful!!!!!! Seems many prefer the 838 over the 929, I do, but the 929 guys are in love with their 929's AND love em more than the 838s!! Guess it comes down to which style you want. Spec wise they are about the same. The 929 was made approx 'one year before' the 838. The 838 was the later model. You can't go wrong with either. Both are super fine TTs, Sansui's TOTL best, and 'slightly under the radar really!' But the word is out and used ones are getting more and more expensive every day. Read up on the speck sheets of both, look really closely at the fotos, and ask the guys over in the AK Sansui section for more details. You can do a search for 838s/929s too! Tons of information in AK Sansui. Personally, just yakin, I like the looks of the 838 more than their 929, it looks less fancy (just more beautiful for sure!! haha) But the 929 guys will say the same thing about the 929s! I don't care for that led readout stuff, if that is what it is. But the 929 guys love it! But...'Both the 838 and the 929 guys will 'all agree' that both are the BEST!' :)

Used 838s are a bit cheaper to purchase than the 929s. What ever you do, be patient and 'wait' for a great 'minty' one! They show up every once in awhile, and when you see it, get it! You won't regret that. Pay the extra money $100 to $150 extra) for a great one! And tell the seller EXACTLY HOW TO PACKAGE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Pay extra for them to follow YOUR INSTRUCTIONS EXACTLY! If you don't know how to do it, send me an email. TTs get trashed in shipping if not packaged correctly. Packaged correctly, no problem.

Both are wonderful TTs and you will really enjoy which ever you get!

The 838 is very heavy, super solid, very heavy platter, no vibrations at all, a very 'very' quiet running direct drive machine, no humming at all out of the speakers, 'thick' solid plastic dust cover, super strong hinges, quality componets throughout, BEAUTIFUL BASES!!!!!, great tonearms, 'fantastic quality strong motors', man....these units are simply great units. You'll love it!! When you get one make sure it has the origional headshell, make sure the whole thing is origional and perfect.

Don't know anything about the static problem mentioned above by 'mcdmgb' on his 929. I don't have any static problem at all on my 838. It just operates perfect!

Good luck with you new Sansui TT, They are even a super joy just to look at em!!!!!!! :)
Kinda like lookin at a 1980 Ferrari!!

The SR-838 is the only TT I ever wanted. I got it, and it's the only TT I ever desire or want. I'm in love with it. They are simply outstanding quality wise, super looks, and great operation.

Super Quality TTs!! Which ever one you get...You'll LOVE IT!!!!!!!

:music::thmbsp::banana::yes::D

Sorry to zombie the thread but, the 929 deserves to live forever. Mine has a 2m red on it. It's been a stellar performer.

I agree I have a 929 and I love it, it is a beauty to look at and to listen to. Some people have problems with the Quartz lock but TG, mine is prefect. I would buy the best you can afford and enjoy it.

20181212_154604_HDR.png 20181212_154632_HDR.png 20181212_154639_HDR.png 20181212_154712_HDR.png 20181212_154722_HDR.png 20181212_154702_HDR.png 20181212_154702_HDR.png It would appear that the weight that goes across the top of the tonearm is missing, is that a big deal? Does everything else look OK?
Also, anyone know what cart is on this? At first I thought Pioneer 3MC, but not sure now..

Last edited:
It would appear that the weight that goes across the top of the tonearm is missing, is that a big deal?

Does everything else look OK?

Also, anyone know what cart is on this? At first I thought Pioneer 3MC, but not sure now..

One of the reason that the SR-929 is so highly valued if the tone arm that was allegedly designed by Mirco Seiki.

Some owners that are missing the lateral weight insist that it is not needed and they removed it themselves.

The original lateral weight are difficult to find and most owner's won't sell the one they don'y need.

Whether it is a big deal or not is for you to decide.

It may be possible to have a substitute made - 3D printed.

The cartridge looks like A Shure V15xx with a Shure M75/91 stylus ? :idea:

One of the reason that the SR-929 is so highly valued if the tone arm that was allegedly designed by Mirco Seiki.

Some owners that are missing the lateral weight insist that it is not needed and they removed it themselves.

The original lateral weight are difficult to find and most owner's won't sell the one they don'y need.

Whether it is a big deal or not is for you to decide.

It may be possible to have a substitute made - 3D printed.

The cartridge looks like A Shure V15xx with a Shure M75/91 stylus ? :idea:

I wish it were a V15xx. I'm pretty shure it's a shure me70b cartridge

It would appear that the weight that goes across the top of the tonearm is missing, is that a big deal?
People who say it doesn't matter are wrong. It's a knife-edge bearing: the weight ensures equal load on the two sides. Without it it, (a) one knife-edge bears most of the load due to the off-center mass of the arm/cart, and wear will be uneven over time, and (b) through a high resolution system you can hear a difference, somewhat similar to badly adjusted azimuth. But it's not difficult to replicate; a rod that fits the hole, with a weight approximately right will do. It's not the specific weight in grams, but the distance from the pivot that equalizes the forces.

Back
Top Bottom