Sansui SS-2 Headphones

mmann68

How lame would it be for me to say I am absolutely jamming out to Can on my latest set of cans :thmbsp:. Too late, I said it. My avatar kind of says it all about my lucky acquisition of a set of SS-2 headphones. So, how's about a little review?

First, a quick disclaimer. I'm definitely not a headphone expert. I have a set of Sony MDR-V150s that I've been really pretty happy with over the years, at least outside of the pesky and well known ear piece peeling issues. I haven't heard a ton of headphones to compare to. From what I do know, I would say that I certainly agree with the general consensus that says that while the vintage Sansui receiver/amp sound that we all love is the best, the vintage sound may not completely translate to the old headphones versus new ones. Having gotten that out of the way, I love the SS-2s.

I have them plugged into a Sansui 771. The SS-2s are one of the early headphone models, and are 8 ohms. When I first put them on, I was listening to the tuner section, a good FM rock station. At lower volume, the phones seemed a tiny bit tinny. One thing I have to give the Sonys, even for a lower end headphone, is that they sound really good and are consistent sounding at lots of different volume levels. At first listen at that very low level volume, I was a tiny bit disappointed, even though I had no real high expectations for the sound of the SS-2. Then I discovered these babies just wanted some juice.

Turn them up a bit and let them run, and they are a really, really surprisingly good sounding set of headphones. A really perfect match for the 771, which stands to reason for sure. Just incredibly smooth, flat sounding in a very good way, not too much, but enough on the bass; perfect on the highs. Really great clarity, and I would have to say actually better separation of sounds than my far more modern Sonys. One really surprising discovery is just how much better listening to digital sources from the computer through these headphones is. It may just be psychological, but to me listening to Spotify or my personal digital library through the SS-2s via the 771 is smooth as silk.

And as for just the sheer cool factor, these are off the charts. It would be worth the price of admission for these just to have them sitting on top of the receiver. A super cool white can, and the can isn't one of those massive airplane sized can you can find on a lot of the older headphones. Certainly they're big, but they're actually kind of sleek and modern looking. And not heavy enough to cause any issue that I can tell so far with extended listening. They've got the great old steel, the leather head covering, with nice black leather ear pads. And the set I have is near perfect aesthetically, apparently having been in storage. They seem to have been barely used. Other than the kind of funny, super thick cord that should be attached to an old telephone switchboard, they are a perfect vintage pickup. The perfect combination of awesome sound and sweet, conversation inducing looks. I am attaching some pics, but check out the avatar, the tags alone on the ears are works of art. I really should have taken the pics with the headphones hanging off the lit up receiver. So seventies cool.

You can probably tell I am a happy camper with this pickup. As I type this and continue to listen, there is no listening fatigue. So clear and smooth. Sansui simply continues to rule. :music:

Attachments

• IMG_2703.jpg
    IMG_2703.jpg
    72.6 KB · Views: 155
  • IMG_2704.jpg
    IMG_2704.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 116
  • IMG_2705.jpg
    IMG_2705.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 111
  • IMG_2706.jpg
    IMG_2706.jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 122
Last edited:
I have the same set and your review is dead on love mine.When I purchased the ones I have for $13.00 they were not even removed from the plastic I had to assemble them so they were NOS never used original box cards the whole shot and yes they are used daily.:D

Even the Swedish pop group ABBA were using SS2 as you can see :thmbsp:

Attachments

• ABBA_ __SS2.jpg
    ABBA_ __SS2.jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 230
Wow, bassnutt. What an awesome pickup for you. I love mine, and mine are close to like new. But to get a set of these NOS for $13 is great. I'd love to hear a little more about what you think on the sound. Like I said, my biggest impression is that you do have to turn them up a little, but they sound super smooth and clear.

If you can post some pics of the box and box cards if you still have them. Would actually love to see pics of your headphones, too. You got me on price. I went all in and paid $20 for mine. Seller said they he had done the Storage Wars thing and got them out of storage from an older gentleman along with a bunch of classical music. I had to kind of, sort of assemble mine, too, after I got them. The cans were just hanging loose.

A question for you. On the set I got, I had to take the metal part of the headset and click them onto the cans to set up the headphones. The metal parts have little holes that click onto small pegs that stick out of the cans. They sit nice and tight, but I was wondering if there were supposed to be any little caps or anything that go over the pegs to hold the metal part of the headset in place. Mine are tight, and I don't think it's the case that they would have caps, but I was wondering.

And Stene, what can I say to this photo? There is absolutely no possible greater endorsement to the greatness of Sansui in general, and the SS-2 headphone in particular, than a photo of Agnetha and Anni-Frid styling and recording with a set of them. Awesome.

And Stene, what can I say to this photo? There is absolutely no possible greater endorsement to the greatness of Sansui in general, and the SS-2 headphone in particular, than a photo of Agnetha and Anni-Frid styling and recording with a set of them. Awesome.
They had Koss in the recording studio but they were very heavy so I was asked if I had some not so heavy and the SS2 was the only model I had at the time.

What are your thoughts on yours, Osso? Do you use them? Thoughts on sound?

They are nice headphones, but I am sure there are much better ones out there. I find they don't stay on my head very well. It may be that they are just old and beat up. I really don't have much more of an opinion than that.

I used them quite frequently as a kid. I had a drum kit and used to wear them while I banged on my drums. If I turned up the volume enough, I sounded really good. :thmbsp: My poor mother put up with my crappy drumming for several years. I just couldn't keep a beat or follow the music....

I really don't use them hardly at all. The last time I used them was to check out my repairs on a Pioneer my GF bought at a garage sale.

Really, they are just something I have from my childhood. I don't think that i'd ever get rid of them, though. Sorry I couldn't be much more help.

I really prefer just to use my speakers.

Mine are used with a G8000 and I play it low most of the time with no problems with the sound.Here is a couple of pictures of mine.Did not have any caps on the end of the metal shafts when I opened the package.

Attachments

• IMG_0303.jpg
    IMG_0303.jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 82
  • IMG_0304.jpg
    IMG_0304.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 75
Cool to get so many responses on this. Pretty sweet, osso, that you had these headphones as a teenager. I'm picturing a kid banging it out on the drums with the sweet white cans on the head. And what can I say, bassnut, mint condition on yours. The manual looks great, too. With the box?!?! Really great pickup. Thanks for the info on the "no caps". Didn't think there were any, like I said mine fit nice and tight, but thought I'd ask. And, finally to Stene. It's always good to get an ABBA flow on any thread. That tour info is too funny.

HI!
been lurking for a little but now it's time for action:
I just got a pair of vintage Sansui ss-2 but I don't like them...here is why:
the bass is perfect, I must admit, but the highs are rolled off too much, while the mids are (if I turn the volume up to make highs appear a little more) hard and unpleasant. this is what they sound to my ears using a Thorens 165 and Kenwood KA3500 amp. I compared these cans with a pair of 10years old entry-level TDK MP-100 that I enjoy more (except for the bass).

could it be that the sansui are in need of speaker replacement, and so, where can I find them?
otherwise can you suggest a pair of headphones with a clear balanced sound?I listen mainly to rock and hard rock LP of 70's and 80's...

thanks

Lucky find too

I found a pair of these SS-2's -- in a dumpster. In 1988 or around there.

Didn't know if they worked or were any good, but I took them. Didn't have use for phones then so I tucked them away.

Recently I decided to start using phones so I purchased a pair on Amazon which turned out to be crappy. Then the other day I was up in the attic and in a box of wire and cables I spotted this old set of phones I "acquired" many years ago.

Took them down, plugged them in, and not only did they work, but they sound great!

Lucky find from long time ago, probably before most of you were born!

Bought my SS2s as a teenage in England in 1968. The box is long since departed but I still have the one page brochure from the day. They still work fine - sound a little flat compared to my Sennheisers but my biggest gripe is the plastic ear pad covers which have turned rocj hard over the years!

Great memories, though!

Keith

20170425_110338.jpg 20170425_110326.jpg

My pair of Sansui SS-20 2 way Headphones... Serial No. 64052...in the original box...
Got mine as a gift thrown in with a AU-777A I bought at top price from a fellow Sui collector...
I don't listen through these they look huge...bet they weigh a bit on the head to be comfortable for listening..
Prefer my Dr. Beats...

Back
Top Bottom