Sansui Suggestions please?

ammscray

hi there, longtime lurker on this great forum (and new subscriber)...Ive read as many threads as possible for quite some time but now could use some suggestions based on my personal needs

I grew up with tube, and most of my listening is done currently with an old scott 380 35 wpc stereomaster through a pair of energy audissey A+5 towers which sounds really clear, warm and punchy and although not considered anything special, I love this setup

in my 2nd listening room, I have an old onkyo tx-108, yeah not so great at all except for really loud rock and even then its like a veil over the speakers obviously compared to the tubes...Im using a pair of PSB towers (also made in canada like the energys) that arent bad at all

so, Ive been considering the sansui AU-717, 719, and 9090 but I know there are lots of other models too...Ive been a professional musician/sound engineer for 40 tears so my ears are sharp...I listen mainly to FLAC vinyl rips and cd's, rock mostly, but blues, jazz, classical alot too, and will go back to some vinyl soon

my budget is hopefully under a grand...and although I used to do all my own work on my tube amps, Im not able to do that kind of stuff anymore

Im wondering which sansui would get me close to the warmth/clarity and smooth clear trebles of tube sound, but the punch/bass of solid state...does that exist?

thanks for reading in advance, any suggestions are greatly appreciated! (amps only, no speakers)
Angelo

Last edited:
I'd like to welcome you to the forums even though you were a lurker just like most were initially....

You have just described what most of us are looking for and I wouldn't lean on any particular brand of equipment, instead I'd concentrate on the better Top Of The Line (TOTL) pieces of equipment. A Luxman R117, for me has the fullest sound I've ever encountered and I've heard some great McIntosh units that could not beat out the full rich sound of the Luxman. Now Sansui did make some great warm receivers like the 9090 which is better than the Pioneer SX1250. For speakers I'd go with the Klipsch Cornwalls or large Boston Acoustics and a conical stylus for the turntable like the Denon 103.

Yes welcome :)
2nd what Dj stated above, Cornwalls are amazing for classical and jazz however if you are used to studio monitors might think about jbl's.

thanks guys, really only interested in integrated amps/receivers right now...but Ive narrowed it down to sansui mainly b/c the descriptions of alot of their models sounds like the kind of sound Im looking for...if I considered all the great brands out there, I feel like I wouldnt end up buying anything til next year lol

sansui ALONE gives me option anxiety :)

Last edited:
I have an restored 8080db. The addition of a midrange control helps balance out horns very nicely. The 9090 has a little more output and no issues with the dolby circuitry. It also compares very nicely to my Sherwood tube receiver in audio quality. Also, the x0x0 series is well known to forum folks if repair assistance is needed.

thanks overundr1, YES I really like the idea of the midrange control, I wish all the sansui's/(all amps period) had them, but I hear the AU series sounds superior? lets say the au-717 vs the 9090? I was looking into the 8080 or 9090 til I read about the dolby board probs and that they color the sound more than the later units

Had a 717, sold it, there is just something that for me is just right about the xoxo series.

I had the 701 & I can say they are GREAT!
I have the 717 (very nice) now & I would trade for a 701 without blinking an eye.

I had the 701 & I can say they are GREAT!
I have the 717 (very nice) now & I would trade for a 701 without blinking an eye.

which one's better for rock? I've read here that the 701 is very clean and better for classical, jazz, etc?
thanks

AU-717: a war horse, has 'punch'. A rock amp for sure. Sounds like 'on-stage' band equipment but has a slightly colored sound. Has 'loudness' mode.

AU-X701/X901: really fine amps! Sounds musical, a 'more refined' sound for sure, less colored sound, more 'audiophile'.

I used to have a 717. I now have a X-901.

Both fine amps!

Myself... I much prefer the X901. Took me about 25 seconds to get used to it. :) 'Source Direct' mode is outstanding!... & has the 'loudness' feature.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
which one's better for rock? I've read here that the 701 is very clean and better for classical, jazz, etc?
thanks

I would say you will be happy with either for rock, with a nice pair of rock monitors.
I had NO issues with Rock, Metal, Country, Jazz, Blues, Vocal, and any other types I would play on my 701.
If you can find a 701 or 901 GRAB IT.
If you can find a 717 Grab it.

Back
Top Bottom