Sanyo JCX-2900K anyone?

Thanks. When you say "architecure", in this instance are you meaning the circuit topology or is it a hip hifi phrase? If the latter please explain. Thanks!

Sorry for the tardy response, haven't been on in a while. I mean the physical layout of the components (power supply, boards and main caps). The two power supplies are on the left which makes that side of this 52 pound monster heavier than the other. The main caps are hidden, you have to take off the bottom cover to see them. So this receiver doesn't have the internal elegance of a Pioneer SX1250 for instance with it's centered torroidal power supply flanked by the power caps on each side. These are minor quibbles though as how often am I staring at its guts? The sound is excellent, it's not just a beast.

Pity all that weight wasn't on the right hand side, most peoples' strongest arm! I mean, this build quality thing is whole subject in itself. I'm lucky enough to own a Pioneer SX-1250, and for sure you can see the built quality the second you open it up. Saying that, there are lots of sets out there that perhaps are not so 'lovingly crafted' internally but perform well and look a million dollars outside. To many people, that's enough. I mean, have you ever worked on an old NAD amp? they're built like a rat's nest but they sound great. In the ideal world, I'd like all my receivers to sound great, be built well, and look great - like the 1250. In the case of Sanyo's JCX-2900K, I'll take it as it comes because it ticks the two main boxes for me, in that I don't sit there listening to it with the top removed. I'd love one, but in the UK they are very scarce. Most of the TOTL models were aimed at, and sold in the US. In Britain (not that I was buyer at the time, I couldn't afford one) I think that in general a maximum of 100 watts per channel was more than enough for most people - and the size of their living rooms. The importers played to that, sometimes not even bringing in the 120w+ models, and further, the manufacturers sometimes didn't even make 240V versions of the 'monsters'.

Very nice looking receiver - but personally, I think I'd probably relocate the record deck - right on top of the main cooling vent for the amp doesn't really 'feel' right to me...

Thanks for sharing your photos, lovely receiver. I particularly like how the tuning dial spans the whole width of the receiver. Must make it easier to tune too.

Hello All: I just picked up one of these monsters, only thing wrong is it's missing the bass knob. Aside from eBay (nothing listed there now), is there any other source to try for getting one? Thanks!

Hello All: I just picked up one of these monsters, only thing wrong is it's missing the bass knob. Aside from eBay (nothing listed there now), is there any other source to try for getting one? Thanks!
You might have some luck locating a lesser model that shares the exact same knobs.

If you find a broken parts donor for sale somewhere, you could score that unique missing knob, and then re-sell that non-working model to someone else who needs some other part/s from it, and end up getting your special part very affordably.

Thanks, I'm hoping someone reading this thread may have done that process, and have a knob available ;^).

The smaller JCX receivers used knobs that looked the same, but had smaller shaft bores. I found that out the hard way.

The smaller JCX receivers used knobs that looked the same, but had smaller shaft bores. I found that out the hard way.

I never had any of the lesser powered models.
I just looked at photos of the JCX2600K and figured it might interchange.

Maybe you can buy affordable modern (and readily available) replacements and have a working set where all knobs match, just a thought.

Back
Top Bottom