Saw "Walk The Line" Tonight

jonman said:
I am hoping they will do a sequel and cover the later part of his life including the snubbing from Colombia Records and mainstream country radio, and the time of his comeback with the American recordings.

YES! They could very, very easily do a sequel. First they could elaborate more on the things that happened between 1955 and the time frame the movie begins and ends in (I think) 1965 or later. Unless I missed dates at the bottom of the screen the story kind of spans a wider range of time than the average viewer may realize. I am a fan so I could tell that they were at much different times of his carreer. One minute you are in Sam Phillips studio where Johnny is being discovered, the next you are in the HEAVY drug use years hearing him mention Bob Dylan and having dinner at his mansion. He and June are then performing Jackson which I thought was a 1969 hit (?) They could have done a better job making you more aware of how much time had passed. A 15 year old might find Johnny's story fascinating but think that it all happened in 4 or 5 years. Maybe some folks don't know that Bob Dylan was not big on the scene in the late 50's. To me THAT was the clue that I was now in maybe 1963 or 1964.

I guess in only a couple of hours you can only hit the high spots and there is a lot of story to tell about Johnny Cash. They should have made it as long as JFK or something. The still could do a sequel after 3 hours I think. I'm not saying the movie stunk at all. I like it by and large, but being a fan kind of makes you real critical of the portrayal.

I guess the actor did about as good as anybody could do. My second viewing actually made me see more of Johnny in him. I wasnt as busy noticing the weird timeline portrayal and the overdone body movements.

Still in all it a good thing and a sequel again would be very easy. I would like to see something about his interest and work with the couterculture (The Johnny Cash Show), Bob Dylan, and Jesus Christ.

2DualsNotEnough said:
My wife and I went to see the Johnny Cash biopic tonight.

~10 years ago I flew to CES out of Boston. My coworker spotted a guy sitting up ahead of us and said it was Johnny Cash. Sure enough it was, but I barely recognized him. He was in real tough shape like he'd had a stroke. When we got off the plane he had stopped to wait for some others. We thanked him for his music and he seemed genuinely appreciative.

He had some kind of nerve damaging disease. I forget the name of it. I had thought for a while that he had a stroke because it looked like half of his face was numb. His speach was a bit slurred. Shortly before he died he came on Larry King Live and explained his situation. Many say that he tortured his body into an early grave but Johnny stated that he didnt think any of the ailments that were big issues later in his life were related to drug abuse or whatnot.

Back
Top Bottom