Sax - Saxophone Suggestions

L-82

Looking to get / buy albums that have a saxophone sound or passage something like you can hear in Pink Floyd’s or Dire Straits albums
Thanks for your expert opinions
Maurice

What type of music are you after? Pop, rock, jazz (many, many different kinds of jazz like fusion, be-bop, contemporary, even $mooth jazz), or something else? Not familiar with Pink Floyd, but know of that Dire Straits track from Brothers In Arms.

There is a recording by a group called China Crisis called Flaunt The Imperfection that was produced by Walter Becker (of Steely Dan), and some of the sax work in there would be reminiscent of that Dire Straits track. For that matter, the three Steely Dan albums Royal Scam, Aja and to a lesser extent Gaucho may have some of that also. John Klemmer has a solo on "The Caves of Altamira" (from Royal Scam) and it's possible you might like some of his less narcoleptic albums (like anything from the Cadet era, or Touch, or even Arabesque).

I'm currently exploring some albums by Ike Quebec and Stanley Turrentine, both tenor players. Two different styles of playing, and of course, both rooted in jazz.

Nobody will forgive you if you start playing Kenny G or Boney James, though...seriously... :D

Look up who played sax on those PF and DS songs
Then find more music featuring those musicians. So if you like the way the sax on Bowie's Young Americans sounds, you might like David Sanborn.

Some decent sax on Bowie's BlackStar. Donny McCaslin was the guest artist on that one - call it a progressive jazz kinda thang ...

Tim Cappello?

Last edited:
What type of music are you after? Pop, rock, jazz (many, many different kinds of jazz like fusion, be-bop, contemporary, even $mooth jazz), or something else? Not familiar with Pink Floyd, but know of that Dire Straits track from Brothers In Arms.

There is a recording by a group called China Crisis called Flaunt The Imperfection that was produced by Walter Becker (of Steely Dan), and some of the sax work in there would be reminiscent of that Dire Straits track. For that matter, the three Steely Dan albums Royal Scam, Aja and to a lesser extent Gaucho may have some of that also. John Klemmer has a solo on "The Caves of Altamira" (from Royal Scam) and it's possible you might like some of his less narcoleptic albums (like anything from the Cadet era, or Touch, or even Arabesque).

I'm currently exploring some albums by Ike Quebec and Stanley Turrentine, both tenor players. Two different styles of playing, and of course, both rooted in jazz.

Nobody will forgive you if you start playing Kenny G or Boney James, though...seriously... :D
Thank you for your input!
China crisis is a bit to disco??? And Ike Quebec to “Jazz”
I’m looking for Soft Rock with a Sax element

Look up who played sax on those PF and DS songs
Then find more music featuring those musicians. So if you like the way the sax on Bowie's Young Americans sounds, you might like David Sanborn.
With dire straits it was Chris white on sax - sounds good .. great suggestion thx

China crisis is a bit to disco???
Not the albums I have--they actually align more towards the Steely Dan side of things, perhaps more rhythmic. Check the tune "You Did Cut Me" and you'll hear that parallel to "Your Latest Trick" on BiA.

I believe Becker also produced their Diary of a Hollow Horse album as well, although What Price Paradise has some similar elements to it.

If you really want disco, there's that sax solo in Rod Stewart's "Da Ya Think I'm Sexy?". :D (Anyone know who played that?)

David Sanborn came to mind earlier, but his tone and style are more edgy and up front. My favorite record of his is Upfront, which is his most bluesy (featuring Ricky Peterson on the Hammond B3). The one that followed, Another Hand, is also quite a good album, but is not like his others since he is kind of channeling Ornette Coleman here and there. (It strays a long way from the music he made on his other albums.)

And since I mentioned Ornette Coleman...the furthest thing from melodic saxophone has to be "Endangered Species" from the album Song X (Pat Metheny/Ornette Coleman). You've been warned. :D

Not the albums I have--they actually align more towards the Steely Dan side of things, perhaps more rhythmic. Check the tune "You Did Cut Me" and you'll hear that parallel to "Your Latest Trick" on BiA.

I believe Becker also produced their Diary of a Hollow Horse album as well, although What Price Paradise has some similar elements to it.

If you really want disco, there's that sax solo in Rod Stewart's "Da Ya Think I'm Sexy?". :D (Anyone know who played that?)

David Sanborn came to mind earlier, but his tone and style are more edgy and up front. My favorite record of his is Upfront, which is his most bluesy (featuring Ricky Peterson on the Hammond B3). The one that followed, Another Hand, is also quite a good album, but is not like his others since he is kind of channeling Ornette Coleman here and there. (It strays a long way from the music he made on his other albums.)

And since I mentioned Ornette Coleman...the furthest thing from melodic saxophone has to be "Endangered Species" from the album Song X (Pat Metheny/Ornette Coleman). You've been warned. :D
Hahah that endangered species is NOT for me! Thank for the input

So for sure I’m not a jazz fan, where the sax basically just blows, what to me sounds out of control, sorry

Ultravox - Ha Ha Ha - Hiroshima Mon Amour is stunning ...
Psychedelic Furs - Mirror Moves is a fav!
Roxy Music ... Stranded (their 3rd album) - "A Song for Europe" Andy McKay is the man!

Candy Dulfer - Saxuality
Mindi Abair - Life Less Ordinary
Wilton Felder - The Crusaders, any Crusaders album. Free as the Wind, Street Life and Rhapsody and Blues
Stanley Turrentine - The Baddest Turrentine
David Sanborn - Straight to the Heart, The best Love & Happiness out there!
Tower of Power, The funky Doctor!

What flavor are you after?

Jr. Walker had a string of hits on Motown, and also played the sax on Foreigner's "Urgent."

So for sure I’m not a jazz fan, where the sax basically just blows, what to me sounds out of control, sorry

Wow, well, if you rule out jazz, that eliminates a lot of possible territory . . .

Making suggestions here is like taking shots in the dark.

Maybe Roy Wood's Wizzard? Start at about 4:30, and give it a little while . . .

Try out the Rippingtons and Yellow Jacket.
Seems to me that it is more the bebop and fusion type jazz you don't enjoy.
David Sanborn and Bob James' Double Vision collaboration was a popular hit.

Back
Top Bottom