Sax - Saxophone Suggestions

If you have listened to Pink Floyd's A Momentary Lapse of Reason, then you've enjoyed some of John Helliwell's saxophone work. You probably have heard a lot of his other works with a band called Supertramp. And if you're a David Gilmour fan, you've probably enjoyed some of his work on Supertramp's Brother Where You Bound LP.

If you have listened to Pink Floyd's A Momentary Lapse of Reason, then you've enjoyed some of John Helliwell's saxophone work. You probably have heard a lot of his other works with a band called Supertramp. And if you're a David Gilmour fan, you've probably enjoyed some of his work on Supertramp's Brother Where You Bound LP.
Was going to suggest Supertramp for some really good sax. Brother Where You Bound is an excellent recording as are most of their work. You can never go wrong with Pink Floyd and Dire Straits as well. All well done.

Sonny Rollins played sax on The Rolling Stones' Tattoo You album, including "Waiting on a Friend."

Tony Aiello on Joe Jackson's Body and Soul album is very good too.

Was going to suggest Supertramp for some really good sax. Brother Where You Bound is an excellent recording as are most of their work. You can never go wrong with Pink Floyd and Dire Straits as well. All well done.
Yes for sure super tramp !

Yes!! that’s what I’m talking about !! John Helliwell!!
I’ve been listening to lots of YouTube today, thank you for all your suggestions

Sorry - my bad - Bleeding Gums was Lisa's teacher/idol in the show ... her sax was played by Doug Webb. You may know him from Rod Stewart and Quincy Jones bands ... Here we catch him warming up at home ...

Just an observation: most sax on rock and pop tunes is alto. Johnny Almond is a forgotten session man who appears on lots of '60s John Mayall / John Mayall's Bluesbreakers records. I absolutely love him on Turning Point. I bought the record in about 1974 solely because of one cut.

So for sure I’m not a jazz fan, where the sax basically just blows, what to me sounds out of control, sorry

Then listen to some sax records that have structure and melody and hooks: Sonny Rollins, Way Out West and Saxophone Colossus. Charlie Parker, The Very Best of the Dial Years. Sonny Criss, This Is Criss. David Murray, Like A Kiss That Never Ends.

Back
Top Bottom