Schiit LOKI/ Thoughts????

Asked them if it would work well with my system. Told them the system I had. Told them why I wanted it, to help with poor recordings.....................CRICKETS.
Might be a small company at their headquarters and the person that looks at emails could be lazy, if they have enough business as it is. Audible Illusions can be like that lots of times too.

Did you see the Frequently Asked Questions tab on the Loki page?

Screen Shot 2018-10-20 at 10.18.53 AM.png

<snip>.......CRICKETS. <snip>

In a recent interview at RMAF they said they can't afford much if any customer service after the sale on a $100 item so I'm guessing the before the sale service isn't something they want to mess with either. It seems heir irreverent attitude isn't just an act for entertainment on their website but actually the way they really are; which seems to be working for them.
I get their point of the limited amount of profit in the lower end items not covering paying someone to spend a lot of time with a customer but my thinking has always been if I impress the customers that are buying a cheap item hopefully they will come back for other things in the future. The companies that have been really responsive to me in the past are always the first ones I check when I need something.

Did you see the Frequently Asked Questions tab on the Loki page?

View attachment 1310195
Yes. But I wanted a more specific answer, regarding my system. To me, anyone that is a manufacturer in this business would know my pieces. They should also have an understanding on their products and how it would work with those pieces. An answer would have taken less than 2 minutes, if the person knew their line. IMHO

I get their point of the limited amount of profit in the lower end items not covering paying someone to spend a lot of time with a customer but my thinking has always been if I impress the customers that are buying a cheap item hopefully they will come back for other things in the future. The companies that have been really responsive to me in the past are always the first ones I check when I need something.
Exactly! That's the cornerstone of something called "good customer service." In sales it is not thinking about today's immediate sale, it's more about adding value and having them as repeat customers.

And for a company that supposedly was praised for customer service, having no reply to an email does give a person a second thought about buying from them.

Yes. But I wanted a more specific answer, regarding my system. To me, anyone that is a manufacturer in this business would know my pieces. They should also have an understanding on their products and how it would work with those pieces. An answer would have taken less than 2 minutes, if the person knew their line. IMHO

How in Hell is any manufacturer supposed to know about whatever gear anyone is using? I'm sure they have their own listening room setup. Why not ask them what they use?

How in Hell is any manufacturer supposed to know about whatever gear anyone is using? I'm sure they have their own listening room setup. Why not ask them what they use?
I’m in sales and trust me, I know what the other guys make and what they do. If you have a product and you have competition, you better know what they do and how your product is better, worse, or compliments what you sell.

Not specific to the Loki, but for Schitt in general, any time I have been interested in one of their products, it was "on back-order"--wait for us to build you one, basically. Either throw the parts in a box and I'll put it together, or if you offer something for sale, at least have a few ready to chuck in the box for the carrier to lug away tonight or tomorrow. Total BS--if it is for sale, it needs to be available for sale. Stopped bothering even to look at their Schiit.

How do you know what a specific combination of gear sounds like unless you've heard it and the room in which it's located? That is what the specific question the OP asked is about.

It's ridiculous to expect any manufacturer to have personal knowledge of every combination of gear. IMO the proper response from Schiit would have been to direct the OP to their return policy.

The LOKI is like $150 and you have a 2-week window to use it and return it if you don't like it.

Hearing it yourself, in your system, is the only way you would ever be able to determine if it will do what you need. There is no way anyone at Schiit would know how it sounds with your specific components, let alone be able to tell you if you would be satisfied.

Personally, I would rather a company let me try something myself, risk-free, than have a person available to blow some smoke up my arse to get me to purchase a $150 dollar product.

If the LOKI does not do it for you, you could try a Delicious One Audiophile Tone control.

Screen Shot 2018-10-22 at 7.33.56 AM.png

How do you know what a specific combination of gear sounds like unless you've heard it and the room in which it's located? That is what the specific question the OP asked is about.

It's ridiculous to expect any manufacturer to have personal knowledge of every combination of gear. IMO the proper response from Schiit would have been to direct the OP to their return policy.

I'm thinking I'm going to have to let their customer service off the hook for this one. The product FAQ basically says that you may like it, you may not. It is very subjective if it improves the sound of 'bad' recordings or not. It is a bit like asking the guy at the pizza place if more basil will make your pizza taste better. It was a no win situation for them. If they say "Sorry, we haven't heard your system combination, especially in your room" or "Some people like the change it offers, others not so much" they would have gotten the same responses people that posted that comment here received for their time spent answering. As a customer service person they also risk falling down the rabbit hole of email after email that are a mix of berating and questioning. If they said, "Sure, it should help out with that" and it wasn't liked when it arrived they would have had an even angrier customer upset because they were assured it would help.

Last edited:
Not replying to an email is just slack. Even if it was an automated reply with 'go read the FAQs at this link...' that would be better than nothing.

The irreverent attitude, poor performing products and lack of quality control on safety issues is wearing thin.

I,guess my biggest gripe is no answer. Just a “sorry, we can’t be sure, but offer a money back warranty” would suffice. I responded to a potential customer in my business today only to tell them we can’t quote on the item they asked about.

<snip> I responded to a potential customer in my business today only to tell them we can’t quote on the item they asked about.

I find customers are almost always able to take a "Sorry, no" but they are rarely willing to accept "sorry, we just don't know"
Typically the response is something along the lines of:
To me, anyone that is a manufacturer in this business would know my pieces. They should also have an understanding on their products and how it would work with those pieces. An answer would have taken less than 2 minutes, if the person knew their line. IMHO
I’m in sales and trust me, I know what the other guys make and what they do. If you have a product and you have competition, you better know what they do and how your product is better, worse, or compliments what you sell.

Maybe that isn't enough of an excuse but combine that with the fact that their attitude on their site isn't really just for cute marketing and it makes more sense.

Or, who knows maybe the email ended up being dumped by one sides email server with no notice to either party (which actually happens more than people realize). Or it got misrouted in their system and all this speculation is for nothing.

For everyone opining in this thread: How many Schiit products have you purchased and kept for a significant amount of time? I've purchased: Vali 2, Modi 2 MB, Loki, Eitr, Magni 3, and finally... Gungnir MB. Obviously, I've been happy with my purchases, or I wouldn't have kept buying stuff after the initial Vali 2, Modi 2 MB, and Eitr. I've had many questions for customer service, and they've always responded. They will not, however, engage in subjective speculation. That's been my experience, anyway.

The only Schiit product I own, is the original modi in my pic. It's a really clean sounding DAC, but it definitely cuts down the bass frequencies, and makes it sound tinny compared to others. I've since begun using behringers uphoria audio interfaces, and smsl/topping dacs which I much prefer the sounds of.

Little while later I found a forum that measured many of the Schiit products, and their findings were eye opening, but not surprising. Pretty much most of Schiit's products measured poorly, except for the Modi3 (which the forum admin says was developed after Schiit had been in contact with him, and had acquired the same measurement equipment he was using.) So going forward, Schiit products should hopefully measure better. But if you have time, it's interesting to see all the measured data yourself.

https://www.google.com/search?q=aud...tr7eAhVTHzQIHTpXD1AQ8NMDCJ4B&biw=1745&bih=808

I've liked my Schiit products so far, but I'm considering turning in my idle Modi 2, Eitr, and Magni 3 in exchange for a PS Audio Stellar Gain Cell Preamplifier/DAC. They're just packed up in their original boxes doing nothing (since I picked up a Gumby), and I can get $510 trade-in value for them. The Stellar Gain Cell gives my system a lot more flexibility, and will give me something with which to compare the Gumby.

I do plan on keeping the Loki, because it is the only equalizer I have. I don't have it in my system now, but when I did, I used it often, and it is a good piece of gear that is fairly priced. I'm also keeping the Vali 2, because I spent a bit of money on a few tubes for fun.

Wondering if anyone's upgraded from a Schiit Magni 2 amp to a Magni 3 and what any noticeable differences were. I'm intrigued by the description of the new design of the the 3 and could sell off my Magni 2 and Fulla 1... My main source for it is a Modi 3 and redbook cd/cassette play from time to time. Oh, also, I do rotate through using some headphones that have high impedance, such as Sennheiser HD 414s and HD420s.

Back
Top Bottom