Schiit Modi Multibit

The only way I have been able to a/b DAC's is to run them off from different computers and tie each dac to a different auxiliary on the preamp, the reason being that Windows requires a reboot to switch to a different dac which isn't much of an a/b test.

Not counting on it. There is more than simple dislike and different preferences here, more of an obsession with hatred of all things Schiit! Their Sq isn't the issue, maybe it is the name that is sending them off the deep end.
I don't know, when I get around to getting a stand-alone DAC it probably will be a Schitt... because of the name.

Just for the record, I never said anything negative about Schiit, in fact I acknowledged that Modi Multibit is a respectable DAC on multiple occasions. The problem with it, it lacks musicality, piano and brass instruments sound pretty mechanical and shallow lacking texture, plus it has fairly aggressive sound being an oversampling DAC which I could live with if not for the first issue I mentioned. I found I like other DACs better, especially the NOS kind that employ no digital filtering, that what my comment above was all about, yet it caused someone to get personal. Oh well, not first time it happens to someone raining on fanboy parades and certainly will not be the last. Peace.

Just for the record, I never said anything negative about Schiit, in fact I acknowledged that Modi Multibit is a respectable DAC on multiple occasions. The problem with it, it lacks musicality, piano and brass instruments sound pretty mechanical and shallow lacking texture, plus it has fairly aggressive sound being an oversampling DAC which I could live with if not for the first issue I mentioned. I found I like other DACs better, especially the NOS kind that employ no digital filtering, that what my comment above was all about, yet it caused someone to get personal. Oh well, not first time it happens to someone raining on fanboy parades and certainly will not be the last. Peace.
I think as with all DAC's it is best to match it with what the gear you have will reveal. I have an okay system, large JBL's and good solid amplifier, but it is all pretty antiquated by today's standards so it is possible my system isn't revealing enough to hear the shortcomings of the Modi MB. There certainly are all levels of gear out there as well as different interpretations of what is good sound. Your impressions are as valid as any others.

The rub for me is more about the "koolaid" and "fanboy" stuff. Considering this is a Modi multibit thread a little leeway should be granted for that..

So like them, or don't. I hope nobody expects to be taken seriously by hating them simply because they don't like the name. Stick with SQ with regards to price point relative comparisons with other (new) DAC's and I and most others will certainly respect that! Schiit products are obviously not for everybody and I'm good with that. I for one have enjoyed my Modi MB tremendously but someone else will no doubt prefer a different DAC.

Pretty sure it was a combo of the bifrost and lyr2 that I listened to. I thought it sounded very good. I tried the same headphones with setups that were over twice the cost, and for my money id go with the schitt. I didnt even know what I was listening to at first, so no kool aid was involved.

I assume you're talking to me, and no, I didn't respond, because I've been doing other things, and I don't hang out on this forum all the time, and this forum is not exactly a hotspot of non-stop posting activity.

As far knowing if "our gear is able to reveal any differences" --- wtf do you think my impressions were? Me just sitting here making this all up? My buddy and and I were just sitting around dreaming of all the differences and I decided to come here and post them? Get real, man. If you don't believe me, stick with whatever DAC you have and be happy/call it good/save money.

Both DACs were hooked up to his Macbook, and both were plugged into his P-304 Onkyo Integra Pre-Amp, plugged into his Onkyo M-508 Grand Integra amp. We switched sources on the fly using his Mac and the Pre-Amp, back and forth on the same songs as they ran.

The speakers were Klipsch Chorus 2.

Sound preferences? Fairly neutral, not a *ton* of bass, but solid punchy bass, laid back sound, polite, refined sound signature with forward vocals, no harsh treble, layered soundstage, lots of mids, not super bright gear. Basically, I like Wharfedale, Monitor Audio, Marantz and Yamaha gear. I don't like Klipsch generally speaking. My buddy does. Basically whatever the Geek Out 2A sounds like, I like.

Does anyone want a pic of the setup to prove what I'm listening to and to verify it's "resolving enough"? http://imgur.com/a/bo2Li

EDIT: No, the Valhalla 2 was not hooked up at the time of the A/B listening test.

Thanks for the additional info. You could lose the attitude, however. If you're going to bother posting on this forum, your posts may be responded to. If you can't handle that, then pick another forum. The system as pictured would be pretty bright/harsh. Klipsch and a non carpeted floor are not the greatest combination, but whatever.

Last edited:

There's nothing new here, just more repeats.

Thanks for the additional info. You could lose the attitude, however. If you're going to bother posting on this forum, your posts may be responded to. If you can't handle that, then pick another forum. The system as pictured would be pretty bright/harsh. Klipsch and a non carpeted floor are not the greatest combination, but whatever.

Buddy, you came at me with an attitude. All you had to do was politely ask for an update (via forum or PM) and I would have GLADLY given you a full rundown of the system. Crap, just ask nicely and I'll give you my full life story. I'm easy to talk to and if you just ask me in a nice way questions about my personal experience with the audio hobby, I'll tell you everything.

On the idea of Klipsch and non-carpeted floor: you're correct 100%. It is bright and harsh sounding. There's TONS of reflection. I've told the guy he needs room treatment. We did put a carpet down and it tamed the highs a bit, but he needs a bigger carpet and some wall treatments. I've told him this repeatedly. He understands but hasn't done anything with it yet. With a new kid on the way (probably this weekend?) I'm sure he won't put any more effort into it until much later on. Honestly, at this point, he seems more interested in hardware upgrades (DACs, preamps) than making the room sound better, which is a real shame, because I'd like to really enjoy myself when I go over there to listen to his setup.

His preferences: lots of bass, lots of highs, not a ton of midrange. Powerful, bravado sound. McIntosh, Klipsch.

Last edited:
I think as with all DAC's it is best to match it with what the gear you have will reveal. I have an okay system, large JBL's and good solid amplifier, but it is all pretty antiquated by today's standards so it is possible my system isn't revealing enough to hear the shortcomings of the Modi MB. There certainly are all levels of gear out there as well as different interpretations of what is good sound. Your impressions are as valid as any others.

The rub for me is more about the "koolaid" and "fanboy" stuff. Considering this is a Modi multibit thread a little leeway should be granted for that..

So like them, or don't. I hope nobody expects to be taken seriously by hating them simply because they don't like the name. Stick with SQ with regards to price point relative comparisons with other (new) DAC's and I and most others will certainly respect that! Schiit products are obviously not for everybody and I'm good with that. I for one have enjoyed my Modi MB tremendously but someone else will no doubt prefer a different DAC.
Alobar, I was thinking on getting into Schiit myself, are these Tube DAC's? Right now I have a DACmagic 100 from Cambridge which is non-tube...I was just wondering from anyone's knowledge/experience if a Tube is 'warmer' say with bass I am assuming (noobie here) than what Cambridge offers...right now it is good but I am out for listening experience and would not mind trying a different DAC just to really see if I myself/personally hear the difference in 'highs/mids/lows'.

There was a brand that begins with Jolii or something version 3 but I am looking to spend no more than a few hundred bucks...

Alobar, I was thinking on getting into Schiit myself, are these Tube DAC's? Right now I have a DACmagic 100 from Cambridge which is non-tube...I was just wondering from anyone's knowledge/experience if a Tube is 'warmer' say with bass I am assuming (noobie here) than what Cambridge offers...right now it is good but I am out for listening experience and would not mind trying a different DAC just to really see if I myself/personally hear the difference in 'highs/mids/lows'.

There was a brand that begins with Jolii or something version 3 but I am looking to spend no more than a few hundred bucks...
I don't believe that any of Schiit's DAC'S have tubes in them . I believe those with tubes are headphone amps. The only way to know if a dac is better or worse is to try them. Some go to the used market and then sell them if they are not to their liking. That way they don't lose much if any money for trying . I can say on here how much more comes across with the music I listen to with the Modi MB but someone else invariably will disagree and say something else is better. Just have to try.

I don't believe that any of Schiit's DAC'S have tubes in them . I believe those with tubes are headphone amps. The only way to know if a dac is better or worse is to try them. Some go to the used market and then sell them if they are not to their liking. That way they don't lose much if any money for trying . I can say on here how much more comes across with the music I listen to with the Modi MB but someone else invariably will disagree and say something else is better. Just have to try.
Oh that is right...sorry about that one, I got caught up in finding something with that Tube sound for my system or simply a DAC as I feel the tube amps are a bit much for me right now...okay yeah never mind I thought there were ones with tubes that were not specific to headphones!

Oh that is right...sorry about that one, I got caught up in finding something with that Tube sound for my system or simply a DAC as I feel the tube amps are a bit much for me right now...okay yeah never mind I thought there were ones with tubes that were not specific to headphones!

Most so called "tube" DACs just add a tube buffer, you can take any decent tube-less DAC and add a separate tube buffer after it and achieve the same or better results, but you'll probably spend more. Or you can just get something like YAQIN SD-CD3 slap it on your Dacmagic and call it a day.

I have an older Rotel 855 CDP with the 1541A chip which sounds really nice to my ears. I'm wondering if I'd have anything to gain by feeding it's digital signal into my Modi MB?

I would have tried it already but it would be a real pain to rearrange my gear.

I have an older Rotel 855 CDP with the 1541A chip which sounds really nice to my ears. I'm wondering if I'd have anything to gain by feeding it's digital signal into my Modi MB?

I would have tried it already but it would be a real pain to rearrange my gear.

If you prefer warm perhaps slightly less detailed but analog like comfy sound there's not much to gain.

Well the 1541A chip is from, what, the 80's? So the first question that should be asked is, does the Rotel still operate within its specs? From what I've read, it's a pretty decent cd player for the time, but time does march on. But if you're happy, why go to a lot of trouble just to get a possible improvement? I'd say, leave well enough alone.

Well the 1541A chip is from, what, the 80's? So the first question that should be asked is, does the Rotel still operate within its specs? From what I've read, it's a pretty decent cd player for the time, but time does march on. But if you're happy, why go to a lot of trouble just to get a possible improvement? I'd say, leave well enough alone.

FWIW on red book recordings the Rotel is the equal of my Marantz SA8004.

Funny thing is the same remote works both.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom