1. Time for some upgrades in server hardware and software to enhance security and take AK to the next level. Please contribute what you can to sales@audiokarma.org at PayPal.com - Thanks from the AK Team
    Dismiss Notice

Schiit Modi Multibit

Discussion in 'DACs' started by MikE, Jul 26, 2016.

1. gvl

gvl Super Member

Someone mentioned it on this forum, I missed it too. Sounds like a USB interface that's done right, with transformer galvanic isolation and async transfer mode, or at least it is listed as supported on the CM6631A datasheet.

Please register to disable this ad.

2. Condorsat

Condorsat Audio Enthusiast

... busy Summer ... just totally missed it.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2017
  3. Vegemite

Vegemite New Member

Dell Inspiron 7537. Always made a weird high pitched noise when scrolling down a web page. Knew the graphics were dicey. And had a feeling it would be a problem with the modi.

Wish there was a way to disable the integrated intel graphics chip, and force all graphics to display through the nvidia 750m chip in it!!

At present with only the CPU doing the graphics , it looks horrible and hard to read text.

Maybe time for a new laptop. P.O.S.

Smallies likes this.
  4. E.Auer

E.Auer Super Member

You could always go Wireless audio with a CCA connected to the Modi and stream from your laptop. Eliminate USB.

Eric

Vegemite and PAGS like this.
  5. Smallies

Smallies Super Member

My original setup had me very concerned about the usb area of things. Long wifi run, drivers, and major burn in. Got the hard wired ethernet crankin' now and it's clear and crisp. Waiting on my USB5 card from Schiit.

6. Giving serious thought to replacing my Pangea HP201 headphone amp with a Modi2 Multi + Valhalla 2.
    Budget is around 500 clams.
    Any suggestions?

7. MurrayLives

MurrayLives Born to lose, live to win

What headphones are your planning on running?

8. Currently using HD650

9. automojo

automojo OurBandCouldBeYourLife Subscriber

I don’t think the MB is veiled. I am wondering if they were comparing it to the non-MB version.
    I think a lot of that has to do with system matching. Taste as well.
    If your speakers are highly revealing, slightly, or very foward, sometimes the MB’s can be a little too much of a good thing.
    “High definition” can sometimes lead to listening fatigue over a period of time.
    Their really isn’t any magic bullet DAC.
    That’s marketing hype sorry to say.
    Its about balance.
    For example, just a slight re-positioning of your speakers can give you all the definition you seek..
    I just say this, because of late a lot of my audiophile friends are going down the high definition route.
    And it comes at a price.
    IMHO, their systems list their musicality in the pursuit of hearing something on a particular track they thought wasn’t there, or they hadn’t heard before.

10. MurrayLives

Probably a good match.

11. Just noticed some retailers are having a special on HD800. May just keep the setup I have and upgrade my cans.

12. AlTinkster92

AlTinkster92 AK Subscriber Subscriber

Well, thought I'd go ahead and order my MultiBit this afternoon but had a few questions. Tried calling Shiit and I guess the only way to have a conversation is thru Email.......kinda ticked me off. Anyway, with Windows 10 do I have to download drivers for this thing? I want one that's plug and play. Al

13. Old Guy8

Old Guy8 AK Subscriber Subscriber

IMG_20171031_180002.jpg IMG_20171031_175954.jpg I'm currently useing Win7 with it because old PC would not run Win10. I did initially use another PC in Win10. Its been a while but I don't remember any major issues. It works pretty well with either PC, by USB cable to PC and wifi feed to PC. I did make some router setting changes to reduce wifi dropouts. Don't think that had anything to do with the MB. This was my first stand alone dac.
    Attached manual pages if of interest.

AlTinkster92 likes this.
  14. judsonw

judsonw Well-Known Member

I downloaded drivers for it (I do not think I tried without using the drivers). I found the install straightforward, and I have not needed to adjust anything since then.

Edit: Just to clarify, I am using Windows 10.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2017
    stish likes this.
  15. AlTinkster92

AlTinkster92 AK Subscriber Subscriber

Thanks Old Guy8, appreciate the pic! Al

Old Guy8 likes this.
  16. kitt1987

kitt1987 Member

I spent my first full day with my Modi2 Mutlibit and am honestly left feeling extremely unimpressed. It lacks quite a bit on the bottom end while the rest sounds extremely digital. I'll give it a couple more days and will return it if it doesn't warm/open up a bit more. Is it advised to keep it turned on to help break it in?

17. soundmig

soundmig AK Subscriber Subscriber

Yes, leave it on continuously. It won't hurt it, but it does seem to make them sound better.

stish and darksolstice like this.
  18. MurrayLives

They sound really compressed the first few days. Just leave it on all the time.

19. kitt1987

kitt1987 Member

Thanks guys, I'll continue to leave it on and hope it starts to improve. Shall I expect more bottom end to appear as it breaks in? That's what is lacking the most currently.

20. MurrayLives

My Yggdrasil has no trouble with the low end, I’d be surprised if the Modi does. Well, I mean, it could I guess... there’s a pretty big gulf between them price-wise.

stish likes this.