Schiit Modi Multibit

"Not speaking that he actually has not clue what to listen for, like 99% of ABX "testers."

These sweeping generalizations help no one. How would you like to be referred to as a member of the 99% of listeners who are clueless because acoustic memory is measured by seconds & not wks?

I am sure of that. Just because they think ABX will yield any meaningful results, they don't know what they are looking for.
Unless you also think that switching quickly in front of your eyes a painting and another can help you tell which one is a copy and which is the original?

Regardless, with those speakers and headphones, I doubt that the youtube guy is really into a position of analyzing any DAC differences.

Well this is timely news! I have had my original Modi version DAC for a good while now and it sounds good but having nothing better to compare it with I really don't know what I am leaving on the table sound quality wise. It definitely was a big upgrade from my pc's internal sound card, which was pretty much a lateral move from music on my smartphone. However I have always had it in mind to upgrade the Modi DAC at some point but have been holding out to save up for the $800 to $1000 needed for an entry level multibit. Looks like my wait just got shorter but am going to need to hear some reviews as I really don't want to chase my tail, getting ever more expensive DAC's. I want this one to be it for several years.

I have never owned tubes & don't plan to. That aside, you can be lumped with the other 99% who migtht feel a triple digit hourly burnin is required, to be followed by evaluations made wks & sometimes mos later. You have not met that entire 99%.

This is not to say that I'm advocating ABX. I know better than to broach, never mind advocate ABX on any audio forum. What I strenuously object to is your sweeping generalization & it's folly. Perhaps those less educated would claim that you are painting all with the same brush. If the shoe fits, wear it.

Looking for inexpensive USB DAC for my office...I think it's going to be the Emotiva Little Ego ($100) or this Schiit.

Had the Gungnir (non-multi-bit with usb upgrade) and I was disappointed it didn't suit the system I had it in (Line Magnetic / Sonus faber). It sounded quite up-front and fatiguing. Dunno. I sold it. I later came across a few folks who had similar experiences. I wish them success with the multi-bit line.

I am VERY interested in this unit. I am running the Modi2 Uber right now and am loving it. Is the MB that much more of an improvement? And what really caught my eye is that the Modi2 MB outputs at 2.0v RMS compared to the Modi2 Uber at 1.5. And the SET tube amp I am using from Decware requires a 2.0 Volt input to operate at it's full potential. So that is a huge plus. And I am building a bedroom system that I can move my current Modi to. Looks like I just sold myself.

Maximum Output:

Modi 2 and Modi 2 Uber: 1.5V RMS
Modi Multibit: 2.0V RMS

Last edited:
Are you driving your Decware amp directly from the Schiit? If you're using a preamp with active circuitry the difference in output voltage is most likely not relevant.

Are you driving your Decware amp directly from the Schiit? If you're using a preamp with active circuitry the difference in output voltage is most likely not relevant.

I am. Isn't that the best and purest way to do it? To take full advantage of both the dac and decware?

I am. Isn't that the best and purest way to do it? To take full advantage of both the dac and decware?

Not being judgmental, only curious. However, unless you play your system maxed out I doubt if you'll hear much difference.

No pre-amp here. Alps volume pot on amp...

Silverline Sonatina [Avalon]>Moth Audio s45 SET custom>Samsung Avant>Schiit Modi Multibit>Shunyata Hydra.

Last edited:
I've got a Modi2 I ordered back at the first of the year. I really love it and wa planning to upgrade to Bitfrost next year and move the Modi2 to the second listening station. I'm certainly going to check out this new DAC but I'm still leaning toward the Bitfrost. My Yamaha 675 sounds wonderful through the optical and of course the Linux media server sounds great too.

My Modi Multibit arrived today. Taking it out of the box, my first impressions were that the case is nice, but the single input selector button on the front is terribly implemented. It is a large button that is clearly connected to a little switch on the board, which is fine, but it is not supported in any way otherwise. There is a huge amount of slop and it feels weak. They dropped the ball a little bit on that part of the design, and I've heard other people complain about it. It's not a huge deal because one rarely has to touch the unit at all once it is put into place. It just is surprising considering how solid the rest of the unit feels.

First impression after hooking it up is I can't get it to work via USB to my computer :(. I tried two different USB cables that say 2.0 on them, as is recommended by Schiit. I also tried multiple ports on my computer. I will try a second computer later, but I've used several other USB DACs and audio devices and never had a problem. Although it is supposed to work without a driver, I figured installing the driver might help. I am, however, unable to do this because the driver installer does not recognize that the unit is plugged in, and it cancels the installation. Windows does recognize that it is plugged in, but it states that it has no driver for it and therefore does not come up on the list of sound cards.

I'm listening to my music using optical right now. It sounds good, but I can't really comment on it till I listen to more music and it "burns in." So I will report back with that later.

Same as it ever was ... the large button (shakes when you rattle) is a carry over from the Modi 2 Uber ... been using the Dac since last Dec ... I semi frequently switch between optical (Dish Hopper) & USB (laptop) ... no problems.
I had to download a driver from Schiit ... don't think Windows 10 did it automatically as I recall.

Own the original Modi (home office PC) ... been hooked up 365 24/7 since Mog was still around ... works like a champ.

Modi 2 Uber (front room Laptop)... same 24/7 since I got it ... works great.

Schiit has really good customer service :thumbsup: ... I own four of their products ... had a problem once and they responded to my e-mail in a timely manner and went above & beyond to resolve my issue.

Last edited:
One of my DAC's uses the C-Media chip. I downloaded and installed the driver first and then plugged the DAC in. Installing the driver first is the preferred way to install USB devices.

Back
Top Bottom