Schiit Modi Uber 2 vs Bifrost Multi Bit

playittwice

So I’m thinking I “need” to update my current DAC. I really like the sound I’m hearing out of it, but you know how this stuff goes, always thinking there’s gotta be something more or just a bit better.
I’m sure this has been discussed before but I can’t find any threads on it. I have the Modi Uber 2 and wondering is there’s 500 dollars difference in sonics compared to the Bifrost? I do realize it’s all subjective but that’s quite a difference in price from the Modi.
Experiences welcome.

Thanks.

You either have the bug or you don't.

I got a Bifrost and after a few months sent it in for upgrade to MB. The MB is a worthwhile upgrade

Murray

I would suggest the Modi Multibit. Same technology as the Bifrost, just without the modular capability. I just received mine today and am thrilled with the performance. From what I understand, for $250, this is one of the most affordable units in the "all high end DACs sound the same" range.

Now I’m wondering if just the jump to the Modi MB would be enough. Did you have a standard Modi prior to you MB, or is this your first one? I wouldn’t think there would be that much of an improvement, that’s why I’m asking. I would think there would be a more noticeable difference going to Bifrost, but only very subtle to the Modi MB.

All high end DAC's do not sound the same. It would be like saying, that all MC cartridges sound the same at a given price point. Not true on both counts.

Well, that can't be an apt analogy simple due to the nature of digital vs. analog. Of course, this is not a debate that's worth having, but there is enough evidence available online that the vast majority can tell the difference in a blind A/B test between a $50 DAC and a $300 one, but hardly anyone can accurately distinguish a $300 DAC from a $2000+ one. Maybe there are some people with "golden ears," and the equipment to bring the difference to light, but so far no one has been able to prove that they're that person. Maybe you will, but that's far more statistically likely to be a function of the ego, and your psychology, than anything real.

Last edited:
We still haven't heard what content this DAC will play. CDs? Lossless audio files, perhaps hi-res? DSD? MQA? Lossy streaming? Kind of important.

So here’s the loaded question. What would you be looking at to upgrade what I’m currently using? There’s so many options and my budget is sub 500.

CD downloads and Apple Music both.

These should be 16bit/44.1kHz a.k.a. redbook format. Unless you have a need to play hi-res files I'll say this, be on lookout for vintage Burr Brown multi-bit chip based DACs, such as PCM63, PCM1702, PCM1704 20/24 bit DACs. They come up quite often on eBay or locally and can be had well below $200 with some luck. Some names, Parasound D/AC-1000 and higher, Adcom GDA-600, the Assemblage lineup. Despite being 30 years old based on my experience with Modi Multibit these are vastly superior sounding machines you can have for less money. You can use an optical cable to connect them to your MacBook. They won't do hi-res, if that's something you might be interested down the road.

I also have a Denon DCD1520. I believe that is supposed to have a decent converter in it if I’m not mistaken.

I also have a Denon DCD1520. I believe that is supposed to have a decent converter in it if I’m not mistaken.

Yes, it is using PCM64 which is more or less from the same family of high-quality Burr Brown converters from the 90s. I suppose to get a rough idea of how those vintage DACs would sound you can A/B your Denon against your Modi Uber. Connect the Modi to the Denon with coax/optical and both to your amp/preamp and switch the inputs back and forth.

The Denon playing 16/44 CDs on its own internal PCM-64 DACs will be considerably better than the Modi in all measurable parameters.

What is wrong with the Macbook's internal DAC? Have you run any tests on it (rightmark etc)

Last edited:
I have a Denon DCD-2560 and a Modi Multi-bit for my media server. I dare anyone to tell them apart in a blind test. It’s amazing how good they both sound. I upgraded to the modi because my old DAC was embarrassed by this CD player.

Strangely my Denon DCD-1520 does it for me while Modi Multibit didn't while I had it. I think there are some similarities in the way they present but they do sound different.

Back
Top Bottom