Schlit DACs

I have the Modi Multibit and the Fulla 2. I enjoy both in their settings (the fulla is for work where the PC's onboard sound card is terrible on many levels, the Modi multibit is for home use). You will find people are divided on the company. There are people who have had great customer service and there are those who have had terrible. For some people, the products work great, and some people seem to have terrible luck and get multiple problematic products in a row.

Technically they don't offer more than other similarly priced offerings, and in several cases they actually offer less. There is a big Schiit following out there, be careful to not become a victim of unsubstantiated hype.

I have a Bifrost Uber and a Fulla 2. The Bifrost is on the big rig and does a very nice job; I'm thinking of upgrading to the Multibit in the near future. The Fulla 2 is on my desktop system for use on my Grados.

I like their modularity and they seem to perform pretty well for their price point.

Of course, YMMV.

I purchased a Modi 2 MB and enjoyed it. It replaced an ancient (circa 2005) HeadRoom MicroDAC. Much fuller sound - not as black of a background as the MicroDAC, but less cold and distant.

I upgraded to a Gungnir MB. It gave me everything the Modi 2 MB had and then some. More resolution, blacker background, micro and macro detail improvement. It also had 3 outputs - 1x balanced, 2x single-ended. Inputs include toslink, usb, coax, bnc. I really like it - even though it clicks when switching to files w/ different bit rates / sample rates (i.e. going from 16/44.1 to 24/96 or vice-versa) and it clicks repeatedly if I put my CD player on pause. I think those are the only two issues I have with it. It is pretty barebones, though - no fancy OLED display, remote, and the power button is on the back. The input indicators are somewhat cryptic, but unless you're terribly dull, you'll have those figured out in no time flat.

I'm in the process of saving up for a SACD player to replace my CD player, and I'm considering getting a PS Audio Stellar Gain Cell DAC/Preamp to sort of serve as a "hub" for all of my gear (headphone amp, integrated amp, phono pre amp, SACD player, PC, DAC, soon-to-be obtained tape deck, etc.). I've heard good reviews about the DAC function of the Stellar Gain Cell DAC/Preamp, but it would have to be really impressive for me to consider removing the Gungnir MB from the chain.

I read a few posts from time to time written by individuals not satisfied with Schiit's customer service. I've contacted them on a handful of occasions (usually to ask about compatibility - not if something will sound good together, but if they'll actually FUNCTION together without blowing up), and they've been very helpful. My take is that they don't mind answering objective questions (will TUBE X work with that Freya? Is Gungnir's output too "hot" for my headphone amp's balanced inputs, etc.), but they don't engage in much speculation, or subjective stuff (is the Gungnir MB that much better than the non-MB version? Does Vali 2 sound better than the Cavalli amp that just dropped on Massdrop?).

I use Schiit Modi 2 Uber .. my streaming set-up consists of HP Entry Level Laptop/2 AQ Jitterbugs/Wireworld Starlight 7 USB/Morrow Audio MA 1.1 RCA cables.
I'm well pleased with the sound of my streaming system in it's current configuration 2.1 ch traditional stereo rig which includes Vinyl, Disc and TV audio playback.

USB - Tidal Lossy
Optical - Dish Hopper DVR
Digital Coax - Yamaha AVENTAGE BD-A1060BL Blu-ray Disc Player

Note: Straight out of the box .. the M2U did not impress me on my rig .. after a series of tweaks .. I liked it a lot better. Just passing on my experience YMMV.

Last edited:
Yep, Schiit fan here.
I've got a Modi 2, several years in here. A solid performer. I only replaced it to get a warmer sound. Went with a Maverick Audio.
I've got my original Fulla on my computer desk driving Sennheisers. It's been used with JRiver, Daphile, Audirvana, and standard Windows loads for YouTube vids. I wouldn't trade it, period. Small, does what it does. I take my Fulla with me for passing time in boring hotel rooms with the laptop. And seeing "I'm Fulla Schiit" as an audio device never gets old.
Hard to beat a good Schiit.

I run a Gungnir MB in my main rig and love it! I had the Bifrost MB before that and found it to be very musical and good sounding as well, but the Gungnir MB is a significant step up in overall sonics (more detail, more bass, better image specificity, etc.). I'll have to try the Yiggy soon as I understand that it is yet another order of magnitude "better" yet.

I had the Bifrost MB before that and found it to be very musical and good sounding as well, but the Gungnir MB is a significant step up in overall sonics (more detail, more bass, better image specificity, etc.). I'll have to try the Yiggy soon as I understand that it is yet another order of magnitude "better" yet.

Interesting .. I've been considering the Bifrost MB (in my current price range)

I have the Modi2U which I use hooked up to my stereo. I use a different DAC at my desk which probably outperforms the Modi in bench tests even though they were around the same price when I bought them. I don't think the M2U is that bad but it is easy to beat in the current competitive DAC market. When the time comes I will probably replace the M2U with another product from a different brand. After getting a bad taste from another Schiit product, I'm kinda over the hype of the brand in general.

I use a Yggdrasil A2 Gen 5 usb with a CXC transport it's excellent! I will never change it out. Dont care about DSD or especially MQA.
Yup I'm a fan!

Just don't turn it off it takes at least 3 days to start sounding great again

Okay I'll be that guy. That design must be epically flawed if this if truly the case.

I like Schiit for their headphone amps and other purely analog products, but I've seen enough weird measurements and stories of issues with the DACs that I'd be really hesitant to give them my money for that particular piece of my audio experience.

Bifrost Uber here :thumbsup::thumbsup:
It's fed FLAC with Audirvana from my Mac Mini headless server and drives my Schiit Lyr Headphone amp. It's sounds very dynamic and super clean.

Back
Top Bottom