Schlit DACs

Definitely worth a try! The entry level Modi is the ony Schiit DAC without an integrated linear power supply, so it may definitely benefit from some good quality power.

OK, how minor? Please describe what I am supposed to be hearing. Because all I hear is music being reproduced in a way that sends chills at times! Just not hearing this dirt that the anti's keep showing me on graphs.:music:

If you like the way it sounds, quit fretting about it. Just enjoy it. How can you enjoy listening if your are constantly worried about someone else's opinion. Like I said before, some people are more technical and worry about measured performance, others not so much. I recommend enjoying what you have until you find a reason not to.

Peace and good will to all!

If you like the way it sounds, quit fretting about it. Just enjoy it. How can you enjoy listening if your are constantly worried about someone else's opinion. Like I said before, some people are more technical and worry about measured performance, others not so much. I recommend enjoying what you have until you find a reason not to.

Peace and good will to all!
Actually I'm surprisingly not worried , but that doesn't mean I am closed to the idea. Maybe if I find a bargain price on a D50 I will buy it and see what the fuss is all about. It's going to have to be a bargain as I have no funds to go off chasing rabbits.

Actually I'm surprisingly not worried , but that doesn't mean I am closed to the idea. Maybe if I find a bargain price on a D50 I will buy it and see what the fuss is all about. It's going to have to be a bargain as I have no funds to go off chasing rabbits.

As the current owner of a Multibit Bifrost and a Topping D50 (among other DAC's), I think you would be chasing rabbits.

I got in on the last massdrop for a Topping DX3pro ( $150 including a $25 rewards cert. ). Anxious to see how it compares to my D30, Audio GD and Modi MB.

Amirm must have dozens of DAC's but it's his favorite and the one he uses on his desk top.

That's because the PS is still linear. The wall-wart is just an AC transformer, and the DAC still handles rectification, regulation, etc.

Correct. Just looking over the pcb, that is apparent. Still, there does not appear to be a mountain of filtering aboard the multibit version, as is perfectly understandable in a $250 product.

My recommendation with this, and really with any better audio system today, is to take advantage of the latest active mains filtration technology (which has finally matured to the consumer mass market), and slap an AC Purifier right next to that Schiit AC wallwart. The impact of these little noise cancelling devices can profoundly improve many systems, instantly. The smoother the incoming mains supply, the better. It’s an additional $99 well spent on ANY system.

Otherwise, this baby multibit looks like a steal at the price.

I say all this because we just ordered a Modi Multi to replace an aging original Dacmagic in a tertiary system (having given the Dacmagic to a well-deserving relative to play his Slayer through). I am looking forward to see how this little box measures up with the bigger boys in our house.

I had 2 Modi Ubers. The second one was a revised edition-and definitely had more weight in the lower octaves. It also ran warm. I asked Schiit about this-the said it was normal vs old version-because they switched to a different DAC chip.
I tried a few MB's the Modi, and Bifrost-I didn't like they way the sounded in my system.
After reading the reviews, I picked up a Modi 3, thinking it would be a good fit for my second system. I like it a lot, even better then the revised Modi Uber. Without getting into a argument, it sounds more natural to me. Less aggressive sound, but no loss of detail. Very easy to listen to. Exactly what I was looking for. A good buy IMHO @$99.
I have a Metrum NOS Octave and Maverick D1tube DAC in my main listening system, and appreciate their sound. The 3 uses a inexpensive power supply/ or computer powered-but I haven't had any drop outs/issues. The 3 is very quiet. Being USB obviously makes it more flexible for more users, by not being tied to a walwart/ac cord.
None of them is perfect. One reason I imagine why there are so many DAC's on the market.
I do think Schiit listens to critics of their products. It's a important part in keeping products relative, and attractive to new/new generation customers, for any manufacture.
The Modi 3 seems to be a positive change, in terms of overall listenability and enjoyment, for myself anyhow.

automojo, I agree with your assessment of how the Modi 3 sounds. "Easy to listen to" but with detail sums it up for me. I don't have experience with other Schiit DACs to compare them to the Modi 3 but will say that I like this more than Snade's Gigalab DAC that's been in my computer system for a couple of years. Upon putting the Modi into this little system (TubeCube7 integrated, Pioneer SP-BS22-LR speakers (or KEF F15s or Indignias)) it sounded as if a veil was lifted from the streamed music sourced from my PC.

I'm still wondering if running it off a dedicated, higher quality power supply such as the one from Swagman Labs would clean things up even more but in the meantime I'm enjoying the hell out of the Modi 3.

automojo, I agree with your assessment of how the Modi 3 sounds. "Easy to listen to" but with detail sums it up for me. I don't have experience with other Schiit DACs to compare them to the Modi 3 but will say that I like this more than Snade's Gigalab DAC that's been in my computer system for a couple of years. Upon putting the Modi into this little system (TubeCube7 integrated, Pioneer SP-BS22-LR speakers (or KEF F15s or Indignias)) it sounded as if a veil was lifted from the streamed music sourced from my PC.

I'm still wondering if running it off a dedicated, higher quality power supply such as the one from Swagman Labs would clean things up even more but in the meantime I'm enjoying the hell out of the Modi 3.
Nice system! I don't think it would hurt, Ifi has clean power for $50-Darko thought it helped-although apparently the 3 has a switching rectifier inside. Even so-reducing the overall noise floor if possible would be a positive move I would think.
I find it fascinating the evolution of how we listen to digital music-pretty cool and fun stuff!
Also some of the, frankly high quality tube gear coming out of the east. I picked up a $29.99 (yes!) tube preamplifier off Amazon a little over a year ago-how quiet and detailed this amazing lil preamp is-blows my mind. Even with the stock tubes-this amplifier would fit right in @ high quality hifi system. Adding a Jameco linear power supply walwart made a huge difference-plus you can have fun rolling tubes!!

Last edited:
Thanks for the response, automojo. I'll look into the 5V model on the link you sent. Neither the manual for the Modi 3 and wall wart don't indicate if the input is 5V AC or DC.

The only reason I question this is the big deal made over the fact that the Mani phono preamp requires 16V AC input. The Swagman Labs LPS I bought to power the Mani is 16V AC output.

Last edited:
Thanks for the response, automojo. I'll look into the 5V model on the link you sent. Neither the manual for the Modi 3 and wall wart don't indicate if the input is 5V AC or DC.

The only reason I question this is the big deal made over the fact that the Mani phono preamp requires 16V AC input. The Swagman Labs LPS I bought to power the Mani is 16V AC output.
It's dc-like USB. Schiit used 16 volt AC on their earlier stuff. The power supply is just a standard USB power supply, for smart phones, electronics, rechargeables etc.

Damn, just when I was going to order it, I evidently waited too long to pull the trigger on the LPS link you posted on Ebay, automojo. Now I've got to be figuring out another to buy.

I did finally hook up the Modi3 to the white, Apple-looking" wall wart that was supplied with the Modi. Not sure I hear a difference vs. when it was USB powered.

More soon.

Back
Top Bottom