Schlit DACs

I did just that. I have a Bifrost Multibit and was pretty taken aback after I'd read Amir's measurements. So much so that I started thinking maybe I should try a DAC out that measures well. When I saw that the new Modi3 measured so well I figured it'd be a great way to do a comparison. I went ahead and bought the Modi and have spent a considerable amount of time comparing a great measuring unit (Modi) with one that measured horribly (Bifrost).

It's unfortunate because I wanted to like the Modi better but I didn't. It was pretty easy to determine that the Bifrost sounds much more like music. Either Amir's measurments/techniques are wrong, or there is more to how a unit sounds than what he is measuring. Or perhaps, I just like distortion.

If it sounded good to you prior to seeing 'measurements', why would it not sound good after you've seen its measurements?
Measurements are for geeks. Let the ears be the judge.:rockon:

If it sounded good to you prior to seeing 'measurements', why would it not sound good after you've seen its measurements?

I would let those numbers mess with my head when I was young and dumb. Now that I am old and dumb, I just note them and move on ;)

Last edited:

Exactly, and it's well known that the leader of ASR hates Schiit, and will do anything to skew any results he has on Schiit gear

I have ran Schiit DAC's for quite a while and I have always liked their sound, the Modi 3 is certainly no exception!

But now I am in the process of eliminating my stand alone DAC's (already sold one in fact). Why so? Because I am now running my speakers triamped with a MiniDSP 4x10HD and it makes no sense for me to convert a digital signal to analog (digital>Schiit DAC>analog>DSP ADC>digital) only to have to ADC that signal back to digital in the DSP. So as soon as I get the digital input in place I won't be using any Schiit DACs anymore.. And for my analog sources I will probably just find the best ADC I can afford and use that..

I have ran Schiit DAC's for quite a while and I have always liked their sound, the Modi 3 is certainly no exception!

But now I am in the process of eliminating my stand alone DAC's (already sold one in fact). Why so? Because I am now running my speakers triamped with a MiniDSP 4x10HD and it makes no sense for me to convert a digital signal to analog (digital>Schiit DAC>analog>DSP ADC>digital) only to have to ADC that signal back to digital in the DSP. So as soon as I get the digital input in place I won't be using any Schiit DACs anymore.. And for my analog sources I will probably just find the best ADC I can afford and use that..

This is a bit off subject, but isn't the MiniDSP essentially your DAC? I read the description on their web site. Very interesting. It would be great if you started a dedicated thread with your adventures with that DSP and how you have set up your system.

This is the bottom line truth. Doesn't matter how it measures - it matters how it sounds to you. I have tried to keep an open mind and have read all the ASR posts, the SBAF posts and everything in between. I settled on what sounded best to me, regardless of how it measured.

This is the bottom line truth. Doesn't matter how it measures - it matters how it sounds to you. I have tried to keep an open mind and have read all the ASR posts, the SBAF posts and everything in between. I settled on what sounded best to me, regardless of how it measured.

Who are ASR and SBAF please? sorry if I am being ignorant.

Exactly, and it's well known that the leader of ASR hates Schiit, and will do anything to skew any results he has on Schiit gear

How is this a well-known fact? Have you measured these DACs yourself with the same industry standard test equipment? The only well-known fact is that the particular Schiit DACs that were tested measured worse than others using the same test equipment and methodology. There may have been some popular discussions trying to discredit ASR's founder, but they certainly are not established fact.

I don't understand...it sounded great to me before I'd seen the measurements and it sounded just as good after I'd seen the measurements. I wanted to see if a much better "measuring" unit sounded better and it didn't.

How is this a well-known fact? Have you measured these DACs yourself with the same industry standard test equipment? The only well-known fact is that the particular Schiit DACs that were tested measured worse than others using the same test equipment and methodology. There may have been some popular discussions trying to discredit ASR's founder, but they certainly are not established fact.

There have been more than just discussions. There have been plenty of other testing that contradict his, instead of having a civil discussion about it, he will denigrate you.

There have been more than just discussions. There have been plenty of other testing that contradict his, instead of having a civil discussion about it, he will denigrate you.

Perhaps you have seen some other testing that I am not aware of. Of all the testing I have seen, his measurements have been validated. I don't understand what the point would be to invest thousands of dollars in test equipment to simply denigrate certain DACs. Whats the point. Perhaps I missed it.

Perhaps you have seen some other testing that I am not aware of. Of all the testing I have seen, his measurements have been validated. I don't understand what the point would be to invest thousands of dollars in test equipment to simply denigrate certain DACs. Whats the point. Perhaps I missed it.

All the data was bought up by the oil companies and destroyed. Oh, wait, that is a different conspiracy theory.

Back
Top Bottom