Sci-Fi Channel Dune (2000) and Children of Dune (2003)

I am very much looking forward to what Denis Villeneuve will do with his version, I was very impressed with Arrival and Blade Runner 2049.

And his writer Eric Roth. Visually it will be stunning and although I did not like Arrival or Sicario, BR2049 was very satisfying.

I liked the Sci-Fi Dune mini series and thought the second was better than the first, although this may in part be due to Alia of the Knife.

Last edited:
I gave up on Brian Herbert when he finished up the Dune series, I bogged down in the prequels It is like Ann McCaffery’s Dragon Riders of Pern series, she gave the series to her son Todd, Ann passed away and thanks to Todd the series went down the toliet.

I like the Sci-Fi dune mini series and thought the second was better than the first, although this may in part be due to Alia of the Knife.

Alia of The Knife was nicely developed mostly like the character in the book. The one disappointment I had, which they could not do on American TV, was the scene were Alia was fighting a combat machine. In the book she was naked, and the combat machine was set at the top kill level. In the book Leto Atreides, and Guerney Halleck walk in on this scene. Leto precisely throws his belt knife to shut down the machine Guerney makes the dry comment we need to get her a husband. The scene helps convey the uncontrolled nature of Alia whom the Bene Gesserit call the abomination.

Last edited:
I remember going to the movie back in 84 and they handed out a glossary of terms and notes prior to the start of the movie. Pretty much an admission that the script was a mess.

It would be very interesting to see what a production company associated with Netflix or Amazon would do with Dune. The science fiction I am seeing, from both is very good.

My experience with the books was much like hjames, blew thru the first 3; the 4th and 5th were completed closer to Herbert's death and they felt different. While I can understand the dislike of the Lynch movie, gotta love that cast... Sting, Captain Picard and Agent Cooper (and a few other Twin Peaks actors). Watched the Czech version, was ok as nothing much else was on SciFi at the time.

Herbert won a ton of awards for Dune and its follow-ons; he did a much better job of worldbuilding than other authors, and yet the onscreen versions fail to expand on that well enough. Maybe that's where the disappointment comes from.

You have to remember Frank Herbert suffered from Alzheimer’s disease and his later books did suffer from this.

I think a modern remake of the Dune series made like they are doing science Fiction on Netflix or Amazon would be fantastic.

Brian Herbert did finish the series from notes found in Franks papers after he died. The prequels were Brian and Kevin Anderson works and I gave up on them after House Harkonnen.

Last edited:
It would be very interesting to see what a production company associated with Netflix or Amazon would do with Dune. The science fiction I am seeing, from both is very good.

This would be nice, but I'm wondering if the audience is there for such an old book. Also, since Dune has already had a series and movie I'd rather see something totally fresh, although old too, e.g. The Mote in God's Eye, Rendezvous With Rama or The Moon is a Harsh Mistress.

This would be nice, but I'm wondering if the audience is there for such an old book. Also, since Dune has already had a series and movie I'd rather see something totally fresh, although old too, e.g. The Mote in God's Eye, Rendezvous With Rama or The Moon is a Harsh Mistress.
“Mistress” may be hard to pull off unless done *just* right.

I first ran into Herbert via The Santaroga Barrier" when it was published in the Science Fiction magazine "Amazing" in 1968 -
(I was in 8th grade!) Brilliant stuff, great concepts - to this day I can kid my wife about "Jaspers" in the food and we both laugh.

I would highly recommend locating and reading "Dreamer of Dune: The Biography of Frank Herbert"
Think I got my used copy for a buck via Amazon. It give a great sense of his world,
struggling to take care of his family and making ends meet - even building his home in Hawaaii ...

Last edited:
I gave up on everything Dune after the first movie and the last muddled books. I bet that I had read the original Dune novel at least 3 times and that was at a time when I loved nearly all science fiction that I could find in the Library. I believe, that Film is a terrible medium for science fiction. It just can not project all the wonders that are found in the books and then to fit into a 2 hour movie is ridicules. But I guess I should look up the two mini-series mentioned in this thread. Thanks

I read and enjoyed the first Dune novel before seeing the adaptations, but got bogged down in Dune Messiah and never finished.

I suppose, as a dilettante, it's no surprise that I prefer Lynch's movie over the mini-series. I thought the Sci-Fi Channel production was merely forgettable, a couple of inspired casting choices aside.

Lynch's Dune, on the other hand, was, as somebody said above, a beautiful disaster - epic, weird, inscrutable, cheesy, illogical, and irreverent to the source material. They missed the mark by a fair bit, but, by God, they tried.

Of course, this is coming from an intermediate Trekkie who thinks Star Trek: The Motion Picture was FAR AND AWAY the franchise's best big-screen outing (particularly in the widely-lambasted extended Director's Cut). Take my recommendations with a grain of salt, if not a hit of blotter.

A slight change of subject here but I'd really like to see some of Isaac Asimov's work brought to the screen. Robin Williams in "Bicentennial Man" pretty much captured his zeitgeist. It doesn't have to be the entire "Foundation" series (to start) but some of the Eiljah Baley stories might translate well for the screen. That, plus he's got a multitude of short stories, some of which are quite lighthearted.

... Of course, this is coming from an intermediate Trekkie who thinks Star Trek: The Motion Picture was FAR AND AWAY the franchise's best big-screen outing (particularly in the widely-lambasted extended Director's Cut). Take my recommendations with a grain of salt, if not a hit of blotter.

The first was a movie and the rest are extended TV shows without forced commercial breaks.

I loved the Sci-Fi Dune remakes
o.png

A slight change of subject here but I'd really like to see some of Isaac Asimov's work brought to the screen. Robin Williams in "Bicentennial Man" pretty much captured his zeitgeist. It doesn't have to be the entire "Foundation" series (to start) but some of the Eiljah Baley stories might translate well for the screen. That, plus he's got a multitude of short stories, some of which are quite lighthearted.

Interestingly enough, I was checking "New Releases" on Netflix yesterday and saw this one:
Nightfall - a 1988 American science fiction film based on the short story Nightfall by Isaac Asimov.
Apparently, its low budget approach killed it ...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nightfall_(1988_film)

Interestingly enough, I was checking "New Releases" on Netflix yesterday and saw this one:
Nightfall - a 1988 American science fiction film based on the short story Nightfall by Isaac Asimov.
Apparently, its low budget approach killed it ...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nightfall_(1988_film)

I actually caught that probably close to when it came out. I had read the story and thought it was brilliant and I am not a fan of all of Asimov's stuff. The movie just struck me as bad movie of the week fare. Worth a watch out of curiosity. And yes, a properly budgeted remake could be wonderful.

Back
Top Bottom