Sci-Fi Films (...lesser known and off the beaten track...)

I just watched the British sci-fi (or pseudo-documentary) "Threads" about the aftermath of nuclear war and the ending is devastating. Very hard to see here in the U.S., however. It was sort of Britain's answer to "The Day After."

I still have to lay hands on Arthur C Clarke's "Childhood's End". I read the book years ago. Talking of Clarke, I really hope that one day, someone makes the film version of Songs of Distant Earth, and uses the soundtrack written by Mike Oldfield. It's a great story and beautiful music. Clarke's 2001 is still my favourite movie of all time.

It's said that an intellectual is one who can listen to the William Tell Overture without thinking of the Lone Ranger. Perhaps the definition of a geek is one who cannot hear The Blue Danube without visualizing the 2001 docking sequence.

My DVD/BluRay collection is depressingly short of SF. 2010...The Day After Tomorrow...Minority Report (the book was way better)...Logan's Run...28 Days Later...Alien Outpost...Bladerunner...The Day The Earth Stood Still...Ender's Game...Ex Machine...Inception...Interstellar...Looper...The Martian...World War Z

"The Arrival." With Charlie Sheen. Great flick, and either a re-make for the 21st century or a sequel to it would be worth doing... good plot and story. Circa 1995.

Charlie plays a radio astronomer (like Jody Foster did in "Contact") (another great flick), but there's a very interesting twist... but I won't be the spoiler here.
515OcjW9nNL.jpg

This is NOT the current "Arrival" movie with the lovely Amy Adams. (But it's good, too.)

TCM just aired The Green Slime (1968)
1291253964_1.jpg

The only movie my mom forbade me to see when I was 8 years old with friends.

1 1/2 stars - and rightly so, but in a so bad it's good type of way!

The closing music is awesome!

"Oblivion" (2013) Tom Cruise, Morgan Freeman, Olga Kurylenko

Cruise is Jack Harper, a veteran technician tasked with repairing security drones in a 2077 post-war Earth. While out on a job, he sees an unknown craft crash-landing in the distance, and against orders, goes to investigate. He finds a survivor, a female he knew before the war. Typical Cruise vehicle, but definitely watchable....

Speaking of "off the beaten track", I don't think I saw "Critters" mentioned. Uneven, but funny in places; I liked the bounty hunters...

Silent Running is '72 or '73 and a great one. It's one of Dern's best roles. IIRC THX-1138 unfortunately got reimagined by Lucas with a lot of new CGI content.

Some parts are better but others clearly worse. It also looks too clean now. I'd like to find an original un-messed with version.

Just came here to reiterate this.

I saw this at a drive-in as the second title of a double-feature.
The feature film was Conan the barbarian.

Love both films,
Silent running was a pleasant surprise as I had not heard of it.

Both films are must sees.

Back
Top Bottom