Scintrex Model 98

VinylHanger

Navigaret ex ironia
Has anyone ever heard of these? I've seen reference to them in an Audiophile review in the 70's I believe, but I'm not going to pay for it. :no:

They sound pretty good to me. I haven't listened to any modern headphones and my older Stax are as good as I have, but I do think thay are a bit warm instead of super detailed, but they are comfortable to listen to at all volumes, and even turned up they don't blow your ears out. Anybody remember them from when they were new.

It looks like the company now makes bomb and mine detecting equipment.

Attachments

• scintrex model 98.jpg
    scintrex model 98.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 37
I dont think they're a proper music headphones, they look like professional headphones for different kinds of activities, as you said about the company, they maybe where made to connect to the mine detection equipment, and those types of headphones are required to offer some isolation, has those appear to have.

That's what I thought as well and almost didn't pick them up. But I saw a mention of them in an audio review in an upscale mag and thought I'd try them out.

Back in the day they were called Sharpe. They were known for their high isolation rather than their sound quality. I had a pair I used for field recording.

Your write up was the only thing I could find on the net. I'll agree, they aren't spectacular, but they are easy to listen to and will get some use around here, and they'll look pretty cool on a headphone stand.

I found a pair of Sharpe by Scintrex Model 9 headphones from a garage sale. The lady said I could just take them, and so I did! Not particularly good sounding phones for music, though. Paper cone drivers with harsh peaks. Anyway, I modded them with some 50mm drivers from a pair of old realistics I had, and they actually sound pretty good now!

Not much info online about these Sharpe by Scintrex headphones

Back
Top Bottom