Score Of A Lifetime Thread

Discussion in 'Dollars and Sense' started by Snow, Sep 8, 2017.

1. lissenup

lissenup Active Member

It is a DAC from the mid to late 90’s. Designed by John Wright and Ed Meitner of now EMM Labs fame.

Please register to disable this ad.

2. UncleBingo

UncleBingo AK Subscriber Subscriber

Thanks guys! I was kinda poking fun at my inner dinosaur because it didn't look there there was anything mechanical involved.

3. markshan

markshan Sir Thrift a Lot Subscriber

It's okay. I assumed it was a power amp.

4. A/D/Slover

A/D/Slover Active Member

100 $ for brystons. I was quick to act .....beat all the other craigslisters

Trek elance 30$ My first bike purchase in 15yrs. Flipped at 380$.

Only downfall was now I'm also a bike junkie.

Attached Files:

Leland47, superdog and Snow like this.
  5. Brad Muller

Brad Muller Super Member

:bowdown::bowdown::bowdown:

6. Breezin

Breezin New Member

I just made my "Score of a lifetime" yesterday.

Picked up :
    All mint condition
    Technics
    SU-G91 130w amp
    SH-8017 Equalizer
    ST-50 Tuner
    SB-A34 speakers
    SB-11 speaker (center)

FOR $40.00 from offer up. :jump: :rockon: :banana::banana::banana::banana:

Leland47, Bdbras84, superdog and 3 others like this.

7. CoastinHome

CoastinHome Active Member

Garage sale find about 1990: A nice AcoustiCraft small console minus the matching speakers for $50. It contained a working Marantz 7, 8b and a neglected Thorens TD-121 w SME 3009 MKII. Big scratch on Marantz 7 faceplate but otherwise very nice. Decades later finally starting restoration on these units to build them into a like-new restored empty Ampex Signature cabinet like the one in my avatar.

royzilla, Dazaa, Leland47 and 3 others like this.
  8. Snow

Snow AK Subscriber Subscriber

Very nice that is pretty much everyones dream to find something like that for less then thousands.

Regards Snow

9. JonDeaux

JonDeaux New Member

Pair of sequential Klipschorns from 1984 that had been built into a house that was being torn down, got them home, cleaned them up, don't appear to have even been used.

BilboBaggins, markshan and Snow like this.
  10. markshan

markshan Sir Thrift a Lot Subscriber

We have to know what they set you back before they can be deemed a score.

11. PanheadXR290

PanheadXR290 Active Member

Just last week I picked up this current model McIntosh MCD-550 CD/SACD player /Preamp for $300 when it's nearly a $5,000 piece ,with the $60 for new box ,$60 for new remote ,$25 for the manual and $180 for a new glass I've got a current model preamp /CD/SACD for just over $600 , today I bought a system sight unseen for $1,500 which consists of a McIntosh C-38 preamp W remote ,a McIntosh Mc-300 amplifier ,a McIntosh Mc-7270 amp ,a MVP-841 CD/DVD player W remote,a Cary Audio CAD-5500 tube buffer stage ,JBL-L250-TI speakers and a pair of pro model Klipsch Lascallas ,either amplifier is worth 50% more than I bought the entire rig for . 20190104_220129.jpg

12. chop_sooie

chop_sooie Active Member

Does a pair of Paradigm Reference Active ADP-450 dipole/bipole surround speakers for $300 (including shipping) count? I just won these off the Goodwill website. They apparently retailed for $1850/ pair. Have no clue what they're worth now but other Reference Active speakers seem to be going for pretty decent coin on the bay.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. Shawnnnn

Shawnnnn AK Subscriber Subscriber

I found a Technics SL-1600 in a garage can a few months ago. Not a score of a lifetime either, but the big box of 70's and 80's records that came with it made me pretty happy :)

PanheadXR290 likes this.
  14. PanheadXR290

Agreed 100% , the more estate sales he attends ,lurks on eBay and Audiogon the more he will learn about how to get deals of a lifetime ,they rarely fall in our laps and require quite a bit of hunting ,the deal on my $300 MCD-550 only came after 5 weeks of negotiating for a pair of speakers and the CD got tossed in the deal.

Audio Fan likes this.
  15. Bill Ferris

Bill Ferris Super Member

Own owner`s son: a Mac MC -60, for $ 50.00, all I was willing to offer, when presented to me in the early nineties for a solo Mac tube amp, in needing full electrical restoration..

In use currently, doing duty as a center channel A/V speaker tube amplifier to supplement the 2 Hi freq, and 2 Mid freq. 4 Mac MC-275 mono`d for my main living room tri-amp`d system .
    After full electronic restoration, it continuo`s to carry it`s weight very well for the past 3 years, after my B-I-L reluctantly returned it to me, after "loaning it" to him..
    One of the best deal`s that ever fell in my lap, especially since "I never" go seeking any vintage gear, in my whole audio life !!

Last edited: Jan 11, 2019
    darkblue94 and PanheadXR290 like this.
  16. grey_beard

grey_beard Active Member

Fully functional Onkyo A-10 for $15. Missing the jumpers in the back so Goodwill thought it didn't work. It's still hooked up in my office today.

darkblue94 likes this.

17. Shawnnnn

Shawnnnn AK Subscriber Subscriber

What part of that is luck?

That's a lot of work and kind of crazy. I check randomly and get bored with doing it in no time. It's usually just the same people reposting their overpriced stuff over and over again. But you won't find much if you don't at least put a little effort into it.

PanheadXR290 likes this.
  18. PanheadXR290

I went this afternoon to check out a complete system & spent 2 hrs checking it all , I didn't expect to find what I did ,the JBL-L250-TI's are in the top 3 abused speaker systems I've ever seen in my life,the grills are garbage & cannot be recovered ,condition is so poor I'm thinking of parting them out because the cabinets look like they've been thrown down a flight of stairs with huge 3/4" chunks missing ,the Klipsch Lascalas are in better shape as far as presentation ,but definitly not keepers ,the owner used sheets of Luan or Poplar plywood to recover the cabinets 6 sides ,then used Moulding wood around all edges ,for a starter system speaker the Lascallas woukd be ok i think , functionality is tip top .

As for the electronics all but 1 piece has been taken care of as far as external appearance ,the glass is perfect on the C-38 preamp ,the MC-300 amp,the MC-7270 amp ,the MR-85 Tuner and the MVP-841 CDP, even both remotes are accounted for and working,the knobs are all correct & have felt washers ,all 5 pieces of McIntosh gear have alot of burned out lighting ,both meters on the Mc-300 are dark but functional ,no scratchy pots on any piece ,the Cary Audio CAD-5500 is missing it's external power supply I can never replace ,the owner did ok taking care car of the electronics, he says the JBLs were beaten down when he bought them ,but sounded so good he was willing to overlook the hideous asthetics ,the Klipsch woodwork he did himself ,I'll be picking up the entire system Monday evening ,I ended up having to pay $2,200 for it all vs the $1,500 I was told but it's still cheap enough for 1 amp to pay for the rest .

19. hugo454

hugo454 Gold Member Subscriber

Mc 110 and mc240 for $1200

20. BilboBaggins

BilboBaggins AK Subscriber Subscriber

Well, I don’t know about other big cities, but I suspect they are the same as Ottawa. Here, you are competing with countless others for all the same stuff. Many times, I’ve seen someone walking out of a thrift as I’m walking in, with something I would have wanted in their hands. So, even though there are more to find, there are many more competitors to find it. As well, we are competing with people who hang out in the better stores all day, just waiting for them to bring stuff out. If you see something good online more than an hour after it’s posted, chances are someone is on their way already or they already have it.

When you find something, it is first one there with the cash, gets it. So you better have a car and the freedom to leave on an instant. I don’t look anymore if I’m not free. I just missed out on a copy of Rolling Stones Satanic Majesty with 3 D picture by an hour. I couldn’t go earlier. Even Snow, who lives in Alaska, is one of our most prolific posters. But trust me, he did a lot of ground work to get there! There is an art to finding things. But it only comes with experience.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2019
    Fleischer and Bdbras84 like this.