Score Of A Lifetime Thread

Discussion in 'Dollars and Sense' started by Snow, Sep 8, 2017.

1. PanheadXR290

PanheadXR290 Active Member

[Mod Edit] I work hard finding ,then negotiating for gear in a state with an utterly destroyed economy , I worked my ass off aquiring the gear below one piece at a time, except speakers & CD I negotiated into 1 deal, every piece below I bought within the last 60 days except the Emotiva score .
    Here's a $2,000 pair of McIntosh speakers I scored for $1,200 because I negotiated my ass off for over a month ,the seller didn't know what they had .
    20190104_221444.jpg

Here's $10,000 worth of Emotiva reference gear I scored by being the 1st person to message the seller with a $3,000 cash In person offer ,I drove 5 hours 1 way to Sidney Ohio to get it .
    735bd87f613568db7132c9590b2db3bb.jpg

Here's the $4,000 + McIntosh current model CD/SACD/Preamp I just got for $300 because the seller threw it in if I'd pay $1,500 for the speaker system above .
    20190104_220129.jpg

Here's another " luxurious " piece of McIntosh I scored at 50% off MSRP because I visited the dealers store all summer long while on bike rides & pestered the crap out of him to give me a deal .
    20190109_203809.jpg

Here's another McIntosh C-2200 I ebayed for $600 to $800 less than average price because I pulled the trigger while others flim flammed & asked silly questions as to why he was selling so cheap .
    20181207_205952.jpg

Here's a $20,000 pair of McIntosh line arrays I snagged at 25% of MSRP because I immediately contacted the eBay seller and moved negotiations to Audiogon ,rented a U-Haul and made the 4 hour 1 way trip with cash in hand .

20190101_210425.jpg

Here's a Mcintosh C-2500 I grabbed for $1,000 less than current resale because I negotiated with the seller ,moved negotiations from eBay to private ,offered cash & drove over 4 hours to pick up with cash .
    20190111_205246.jpg

Here's 1 of the most highly sought out/fastest selling audiophile EQ's ever made I picked up for $75 from Craigslist ,I'll get $500 or above for it when I sell because I have the unicorn factory Microphone everybody loses .
    View attachment 13834

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 12, 2019

Please register to disable this ad.

2. Bdbras84

Bdbras84 AK Subscriber Subscriber

Lol oh garsh I'm on the list. Just hear me out, it takes experience and knowledge more than anything else. Like most of us here, we have educated ourselves to know a good deal when we see it and be able to finish the deal. Either it'd be luck, location, putting in the time it takes to settle the deal and get it home safely ( an mind you we will never get our time back of all the countless hours it takes sometimes) it just comes down to having fun, enjoying the music and getting some kick ass gear while doing it. Sometimes if you know where to look just by doing some networking and research you found the gear, the gear didn't find you by coincidence. I'm out!

chop_sooie and PanheadXR290 like this.
  3. pustelniakr

pustelniakr Silver Miner at Large Staff Member Super Mod Moderator Subscriber

Moderation Note:

This thread has been stripped of the recent interpersonal back and forth. More of this and there shall be some membership suspensions...

Rich P

4. BilboBaggins

BilboBaggins AK Subscriber Subscriber

I think my score of a lifetime would be the Sony SS-G7s I found just before Christmas at a Saint Vincent de Paul’s. I’ve had some great scores, but this find is the best! I liked them so much that I paid a lot more for the pair of Sony SS-G3s I got this week!

8799C188-3400-4324-8016-3963F91ABD16.jpeg 4F953A84-F3A7-43DE-8001-3F5099456997.jpeg
    D01A8D0E-781F-444A-B93A-B0A372435C7E.jpeg

Very happy with both pairs. Now I have to decide what direction I’m going to go with these. Nice quandary to be in. :D

5. Fleischer

Fleischer Active Member

As a competitor to Bilbo Baggins, I concur. It helps if you develop a sense of when they bring out the audio equipment at thrift shops, and station yourself right by the door to the stock room when it comes out, so you can beat the other thrifters to the good stuff. I can't tell you how many times I have taken a quick look at an item on the cart that happened to catch my eye, when someone with sharper instincts grabbed a great find off another part of the cart while I was distracted. Good stuff rarely languishes on shelves, and the race always goes to the swift. And to the persistent. More and more people are on the hunt - both collectors and flippers - and they are looking for things that are in dwindling supply. Knowledge, determination and quick, decisive action are essential to making good finds.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2019
    PanheadXR290 and BilboBaggins like this.
  6. PanheadXR290

Is Saint Vincent De Paul a thrift store ? I remember seeing a sign with that name on it and thinking it was a church .

7. markshan

markshan Sir Thrift a Lot Subscriber

They have various benevolent activities, one of which is a thrift store. It should say thrift store if that is what it is.

PanheadXR290 likes this.
  8. PanheadXR290

I'm not sure what the sign says except the saint part ,I go by the building prolly once a month so I'll have to pay attention next time ,thanks for the tip .

9. BilboBaggins

Yes, it is a thrift store. I don’t normally find stuff there, but the last month has been pretty good.

10. BilboBaggins

All the Goodwills are gone around here!

11. PanheadXR290

That would suck for me ,between Goodwill and salvation army is where I get all of my flannel shirts at , it costs $30 to $50 for a good flannel and Goodwill sells em for $3 ,I buy all the A shirts I can find there as well ,they make excellent equipment & speaker polishing rags .

12. greymatter

greymatter AK Subscriber Subscriber

My Sansui Ba-3000 and a Ca- 3000 that had been in storage for 10 plus years for 800.00 shipped from Oregon to Michigan included . The Ba - 5000 that I tentatively was going to buy for 1600.00 Canadian . That this dumb ass waiting to send the money the next day and it was sold that night . :)

13. BilboBaggins

I have the 9900, and if I got an opportunity like that I would jump on it too! I love that preamp! And the power amp, either the 3000 or the 5000 would make my day!

But I know what you mean. I had a chance to get a pair of really nice Tannoy large for $600 and passed because at the time I thought I had too many speakers. Duh!

darkblue94 likes this.
  14. OMGCat!

OMGCat! AK Subscriber Subscriber

Not necessarily the score of a lifetime but definitely a nice deal and a good reminder that these things still lurk in the attics of houses all around.
    Yamaha CA-1000, YP-D6 with Shure M-70EJ cart and Sansui T-60 for $160.

I also passed up a Pio SX-780 for $70 the other day because I don't need any more stuff and have been successful at keeping the collection static for quite a while. Until today that is. I wasn't even looking for things and yet they still find me.

Attached Files:

superdog and DaddyOfTwo like this.
  15. Andyman

Andyman Scroungus Stereophilus Subscriber

Years ago, a friend of my wife called up that she found some old tubes on the curb and could I look at them for her. She brought me a medium sized box with some Western Electric boxes in it among other thing, one of which had a new looking and testing 274A in it.
    Sold it to an Asian buyer for $700 and split the proceeds.

Snow and OMGCat! like this.
  16. damacman

damacman Blown and Injected Subscriber

Marantz 7c and MC 240 for $1200

Bill Ferris and hugo454 like this.

17. hugo454

hugo454 Gold Member Subscriber

Nice
    I also just picked up another MX110(this one a z version) from my tech,paid up for that one but worth every penny.
    way to go damacman,that Marantz must sound sweet.

18. damacman

damacman Blown and Injected Subscriber

Oh it did! Still my fave vintage preamp. Traded it to David Yo (remember him?) for an MC2500 in 1996.