Scored on a Yamaha RXZ-1

I have a set of restored 2c.The KEFs I am are functional but am waiting to get the inner donut replaced so I don't run them too hard.With the Z9 there is the capability to run two subwoofers so I have two Yamaha yst-sw150 subwoofers but no place too put them.My listening area is not small but not that large either.I have a set of large Bozak and even larger Electrovoice.I'm working on it.I initially got into these ubers for two channel sound but would like to have at least one in %.1 surround.
BTW, those 2c's you have will like your V1 but will love your Z9, these speakers soak up high watts and as long as it good clean watts like both your receivers they just sound better and better.

Audiofreak71

I always thought about getting the SR18 but it just never presented itself for me to get one. I have heard great things about those receivers and that they sound excellent. I did recently see a CL ad with someone selling an SR19 for dirt cheap and I was going to jump on it until the guy told me that the front left channel didn't work. I think they would be worth a shot if you saw one for a bargain.

Audiofreak71

I always thought about getting the SR18 but it just never presented itself for me to get one. I have heard great things about those receivers and that they sound excellent. I did recently see a CL ad with someone selling an SR19 for dirt cheap and I was going to jump on it until the guy told me that the front left channel didn't work. I think they would be worth a shot if you saw one for a bargain.

Audiofreak71
I never heard of that unit until now.I was thinking of the SR 9600.Yeah I don't think i would buy any of these ubers needing work.Honestly though I don't think I will get the opportunity to but any more of these unless a deal like your Z1 came along.The prices are rising to more than I care to pay.One reason is if there is a failure these are complex machines and I know I wouldn't be able get it repaired in my town and like vintage the cost of repair may be more than the units worth.I have four so I should be ok but I I still like researching them and hoping a deal like yours comes along.Anyway I didn't care for vintage Marantz but am quite happy with my sr6300.I think from the same line as the sr9600.

Last edited:
I never heard of that unit until now.I was thinking of the SR 9600.Yeah I don't think i would buy any of these ubers needing work.Honestly though I don't think I will get the opportunity to but any more of these unless a deal like your Z1 came along.The prices are rising to more than I care to pay.One reason is if there is a failure these are complex machines and I know I wouldn't be able get it repaired in my town and like vintage the cost of repair may be more than the units worth.I have four so I should be ok but I I still like researching them and hoping a deal like yours comes along.Anyway I didn't care for vintage Marantz but am quite happy with my sr6300.I think from the same line as the sr9600.
The 9600 is a good rig also, I've read of some weird problems with the Uber Marantz receivers though, like just a sudden failure of one or more boards and like you said getting them fixed would cost more than its worth because it would more than likely cost more than what we paid. Still there's plenty of good ones out there and occasionally great deals like I got (still crossing my fingers for that $70 Z9 lol) I'll keep my eyes peeled for some good ones though and keep you posted.

Audiofreak71

Audiofreak71

I had the SR18 (again, a super oversized desktop amp!) and it sounded superb. My impression is that it was a warmer and fuller sound than the V1, can't say if it was more accurate or just a very appealing sound. It exploded which is apparently quite common with that series, Yamaha takes it easily on combination of great sound and reliability.

Surprisingly it doesn't, it gets warm for sure and even after having it on all day it's still just warm, my Onkyo gets alot more warm but still not hot to the touch like the Z9 did.

So I set up the Yamaha RXZ -1 for surround duty hooked up via RCA's multichannel from the Z1 to my Oppo udp 203 analog inputs all crossover adjustments speaker size distance and volume setup through the oppo and i'll be damned, this Z1 just keeps on blowing me away. It bests my Onkyo TX-nr1000 for theater duty as well, very clean sounding and headroom for days sounds every bit as powerful if not more than the Onkyo definitely handles dynamic scenes better, again not that the Onkyo is bad by any means, but going over the two with a fine toothed comb I give the edge to the Yamaha.

I use none of the hokey dsp effects no offense if anyone does I just choose to listen to the movies as the sound engineer mixed it and the Z1 is a downright classy beast in its delivery of music and movies. Again going off my memory of owning the Z-9 this Z1 sounds almost exactly like it but giving up just a slight bit of power which isn't noticeable driving my 86db efficient Vandersteen 2ce signature's, this receiver is the real deal if your on the lookout for a Totl receiver that sounds as good as Seperates had plenty of headroom does home theater like a pro and you don't mind using RCA's instead of Hdmi, then this may be the rig for you.

Audiofreak71

On my V1 I like the the DSP modes.They're very suttle unlike some avrs I've heard.Suttle enough where I enjoy them when I feel like a change.Sounds like you're quite happy with this Z1.I'd be ecstatic also as Yamahas of this ilk are fantastic sounding to me.A sort of well kept secret in audio to some.

Last edited:
On my V1 I like the the DSP modes.They're very suttle unlike some avrs I've heard.Suttle enough where I enjoy them when I feel like a change.Sounds like you're quite happy with this Z1.I'd be ecstatic also as Yamahas of this ilk are fantastic sounding to me.

I do like how there subtle with the dsp modes they have always been known to nit be over done with them. I just like the original sound score from movies. Yeah I'm really enjoying it, I honestly didn't think it would be this good and I mean really really good. It's great how well built and over built these receivers are and how cheap you can get them nowadays.

Audiofreak71

Iwas
I had the SR18 (again, a super oversized desktop amp!) and it sounded superb. My impression is that it was a warmer and fuller sound than the V1, can't say if it was more accurate or just a very appealing sound. It exploded which is apparently quite common with that series, Yamaha takes it easily on combination of great sound and reliability.
I was surprised at how good the Marantz 6300 sounded in direct comparison to the RXV1.It was the one receiver I did replace the RXV1 spot with for a while.Something I don't care to do anymore.Just feeling that I'm ok with the V1 and the speakers in place. I felt exactly as you.It was a warmer sound but very appealing.If I didn't have these Yamahas that Marantz could easily fill their spot.If only I had more room.

Last edited:
I do like how there subtle with the dsp modes they have always been known to nit be over done with them. I just like the original sound score from movies. Yeah I'm really enjoying it, I honestly didn't think it would be this good and I mean really really good. It's great how well built and over built these receivers are and how cheap you can get them nowadays.

Audiofreak71
Remember what I said about not a lot of response from members here when it comes to these killer avrs here on ak.Not that we need validation but I think people just don't know how good they are.But I think the word is getting out as I don't see these on ebay as much as I used to.Like I mentioned I believe these are the end of my audio journey.They are that good.Its not like I have the perfect rooms,space or even speakers to go much much further and quite frankly I have been seeing lately I just when the time comes just listen to music on good setups without having gear waiting and taking up space.

Remember what I said about not a lot of response from members here when it comes to these killer avrs here on ak.Not that we need validation but I think people just don't know how good they are.But I think the word is getting out as I don't see these on ebay as much as I used to.Like I mentioned I believe these are the end of my audio journey.They are that good.Its not like I have the perfect rooms,space or even speakers to go much much further and quite frankly I have been seeing lately I just when the time comes just listen to music on good setups without having gear waiting and taking up space.
You are 100% correct, I do think there are a few more like us that have caught on and there getting scooped up which is good and unfortunate all in one, because there prices are getting higher and there aren't as many pickings there used to be. They are that good and I have had a few friends over to confirm this and one was with me when I put my Krell integrated and B&K Seperates up against a couple of my ubers, the Yamaha RXZ-9 and my Onkyo TX-nr1000 2 chose the ubers over the Seperates and 1 chose the B&K. I'm selling my Onkyo TX-nr1000, I may be making a bad decision in doing so, but im going to keep the Z1 and go a different direction with a few audio pieces. I do know that I will always have an Uber in my setup despite the naysayers, the proof is in the listening and to my ears they sound every bit as good as a good set of Seperates.

Audiofreak71

Would you take an add out in a newspaper stating where you catch all your fish?
OK troll go back to your hole. But to answer you, yes I would especially if it were on a fishing forum, no harm in that. Take your negativity somewhere else please.

Audiofreak71

OK troll go back to your hole. But to answer you, yes I would especially if it were on a fishing forum, no harm in that. Take your negativity somewhere else please.

Audiofreak71
Doing that on a fishing forum is very frowned upon and actually can cause a lot of harm as you can completely ruin a body of water by mentioning its name.
Most of the forums I frequent have rules that forbid mentioning specifics in your posts about where you are as a lot of "bucket people" will use these sites to fill their buckets to the brim with fish!

Of course fish can reproduce over time if there are enough left while old high end AVRs can not. :p

Back
Top Bottom