Scott 399c with wood case in vintage condition

vaathi

baski
Subscriber
My Scott 399c looks ugly as hell in nude. I have seen them transform in a elegant beauty when paired with original wood case. So I am always on the look out for original wood cabinet for my 399 for a while now. As part of my auction site ritual, I was checking for wood case for my 399c and I saw a listing for 100 bucks marked electronics.. Just plain electronics and no description. It looked like scott 399c from the thumbnail and I thought they pictured the wood case with 399c. In the detailed pictures it is Scott 399c.
It was my lucky day, whole unit was for sale for a benjamin and 38 for shipping from NY. I live in SF bay area. So 38 is the cheapest shipping you can hope for. Anyway I click the buy it now button and immediately contacted the seller to educate her on how to pack it. But I had to educate her on how to authorize paypal account and link it to her auction site account. After paying 138 for the unit with shipping I got an email after couple of days that shipping cost is $50. Immediately I thought I got into some scam and they are trying to fleece me some more. After contacting the seller, she said I need to pay $12 more or she will not be shipping the stuff. I paypaled her $12 and waited for couple of days for her to send the tracking number. It arrived faster then it was supposed to. It is dirty as hell but good new is it has original tubes. All amperex 7189s and rectifier is scott made bu amperex. It did come with Wood case. Wood case is damaged even before transit, more so in transit.

IMG_8197.JPG

IMG_8198.JPG

IMG_8199.JPG

IMG_8200.JPG

IMG_8201.JPG

You are lucky , indeed. The Scott amps with the big dials always gets messed up in transit. Either the dial or the faceplate.

Great deal.

Being as you only needed the wood case you could have left the receiver on the east coast for the rest of us here to enjoy & it could have saved you the $12 extra on shipping ;)

That faceplate (actually the whole unit) is the stuff of which vintage audio dreams are made..

I own quite a lot of tube stuff, and the Scott 399 is my favorite above all, the phono section is superp and it looks amasing! Would yo do me a favour? I would really appreciate to have the precise dimensions (the inside opening, outside dept and metal grid) of that cabinet, to have one made for my receiver....I'm sure this information would be helpfull to the others owners.

I own quite a lot of tube stuff, and the Scott 399 is my favorite above all, the phono section is superp and it looks amasing! Would yo do me a favour? I would really appreciate to have the precise dimensions (the inside opening, outside dept and metal grid) of that cabinet, to have one made for my receiver....I'm sure this information would be helpfull to the others owners.

I am thinking of sending it to AK member @Asaalah to build one for me. I bought one of his Marantz cabinet and he does a fantastic job. I will send you the information either way. :) Give me couple of days.

I am thinking of sending it to AK member @Asaalah to build one for me. I bought one of his Marantz cabinet and he does a fantastic job. I will send you the information either way. :) Give me couple of days.
Shipping your baby via postal carrier, no matter who, can be a roll of the dice. It would be a shame to have something end up broken or bent.

I've just bought some zebra wood veneer for an other project, I think there is enough left over to build a fantastic cabinet for my 399. Thanks a lot in advance for your help, it is extremely appreciated!

Shipping your baby via postal carrier, no matter who, can be a roll of the dice. It would be a shame to have something end up broken or bent.
I am not going to send the whole unit. Just the Broken wood case it came in with which is original case. He once mentioned that he will do it if I prepay him and send him the dimensions.

I am not going to send the whole unit. Just the Broken wood case it came in with which is original case. He once mentioned that he will do it if I prepay him and send him the dimensions.
Ah very, good. He can put it together and get the exact dimensions that way. Once, and the last time i ever did that, i bought a wood case, for a Scott or Fisher, and it arrived flat! The guy just put it into a box and shipped it. I got my money back but what a waste, except for the post office. And you can't blame the post office as they will just say it was improperly packed.

Very nice vaathi. Your quad of 7189’s and rectifier tube are worth the price of admission by themselves probably.

Great project there.

Back
Top Bottom