Scott vs. New "vintage" Latino VTA separates

Rmac587

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
Hi Ya'll,
I recently purchased a Scott 299b rebuilt by NOSvales a few years ago. I LOVE it with my Forte I/Crites mods.

That said, a Bob Latino VTA ST-70 has come up locally, and there's a tubes4hifi preamp available out there in the ether. I've heard such good things about this combination, but I have a hard time imagining it being THAT much better than the Scott. There is also higher cost, but I could swing it if the benefits were significant enough.

Has anyone out there heard both, or at least the Latino ST-70 with a pre against a Scott?
Much obliged, Rob

the only review I can give you is the Latino ST-70 has far less distortion better imaging. I also use a Sherwood, so that's in the Scott "class". I find the Sherwood VERY musical and enjoyable to listen too. However when your ear starts getting used to the clarity of the Latino it does make it a bit difficult to go back to the Sherwood. Don't get me wrong I love my Sherwood and would NEVER sell it. But two VERY different era's in sound quality.

I would get the Latino 70 in a heart beat. Get some Gold Lion KT88s and you are pretty much set for life.

As for the PAS I use a Conrad Johnson.

the only review I can give you is the Latino ST-70 has far less distortion better imaging. I also use a Sherwood, so that's in the Scott "class". I find the Sherwood VERY musical and enjoyable to listen too. However when your ear starts getting used to the clarity of the Latino it does make it a bit difficult to go back to the Sherwood. Don't get me wrong I love my Sherwood and would NEVER sell it. But two VERY different era's in sound quality.

I would get the Latino 70 in a heart beat. Get some Gold Lion KT88s and you are pretty much set for life.

As for the PAS I use a Conrad Johnson.
Thanks Airtime. I would deifintely think of that as a good comparison. It sounds like it would be kind of "apples and oranges."

My question from there would be if the ST-70 still has that "warmth" of a tube, or is "analytical." Sounds like both are great for different reasons.
Peace!!!

Thanks Airtime. I would deifintely think of that as a good comparison. It sounds like it would be kind of "apples and oranges."

My question from there would be if the ST-70 still has that "warmth" of a tube, or is "analytical." Sounds like both are great for different reasons.
Peace!!!
No it's not clinical, analytical or dry. It's a great sound but again not a vintage sound - but still tube like. There are thousands of posts about the Latino 70. Browse, but don't worry. I don't think anyone has ever been disappointed using that amp.

No it's not clinical, analytical or dry. It's a great sound but again not a vintage sound - but still tube like. There are thousands of posts about the Latino 70. Browse, but don't worry. I don't think anyone has ever been disappointed using that amp.
I pulled the trigger on it Airtime. I have to drive out to the desert and pick it up Monday and I'm pretty darn excited about it. I don't have a preamp yet, although I could use my Sansui AU-717 as a stopgap. I may install Bob's attenuator as well so it's "stand alone"-but I'd like more than one input. I feel that I'm definitely a tube convert now though. Kind of thinking about a used CJ as a pre down the road. Thanks for responding! Peace, Rob

I've got an ST-120 - similar to the '70. I can't say enough nice things about this amp compared to the McIntosh MC-225's and MC-75s I've had in the past. Nice thing about it is that it _isn't_ vintage. That means that it is reliable and I'm not having to dink (a technical term!) around with it. It just comes on with the rest of the system and it works as expected. No muss- no fuss.

I think you'll like it alot.

Cheers,

David

I wouldn't think that a properly restored vintage Mac tube amp is going to require "dinking around". Fully restored with new components they should be every bit if not more reliable than anything new.

BillWojo

Well, there's a point to be had on both ends of vintage vs. "new" vintage. I would say the probability of even a restored piece having an issue is higher. What impressed me though is I've seen a few posts indicating that a Latino can go toe-to-toe with a Mac. The versatility of tubes was also attractive, EL-34, KT-88, etc. pick your flavor.

I pulled the trigger on it Airtime. I have to drive out to the desert and pick it up Monday and I'm pretty darn excited about it. I don't have a preamp yet, although I could use my Sansui AU-717 as a stopgap. I may install Bob's attenuator as well so it's "stand alone"-but I'd like more than one input. I feel that I'm definitely a tube convert now though. Kind of thinking about a used CJ as a pre down the road. Thanks for responding! Peace, Rob
You're going to be very happy with that amp. In the future look into using Gold Lion KT88 outputs and 12BH7 driver tubes.

I'm packing up my ST-70 today - sad face. Last night my wife "asked" if I can please use the other stuff since. She said "it's 10 degrees hotter in here and I love the music but I can't deal with that heat". So today I'll roll in the Sherwood for a few months. Then the Marantz 250M (my favorite SS amp), then the NAD C275BEE to get me to the end of September.

You're going to be very happy with that amp. In the future look into using Gold Lion KT88 outputs and 12BH7 driver tubes.

I'm packing up my ST-70 today - sad face. Last night my wife "asked" if I can please use the other stuff since. She said "it's 10 degrees hotter in here and I love the music but I can't deal with that heat". So today I'll roll in the Sherwood for a few months. Then the Marantz 250M (my favorite SS amp), then the NAD C275BEE to get me to the end of September.
Oh yea man-Arizona desert is pretty toasty in the summer. Love some Sedona time though. Have you tried any other preamps? Also, wondering if you tried EL-34s as well. I'll probably give both 34s and 88s a go.

Back
Top Bottom