Scrap my STR7055A?

beedub

I recently got given a STR 7055a in cosmetically good shape.
It has good sound on the right but very weak (controllable by the volume knob) sound on the left channel.
Cleaned, deoxidised, the balance when turned is still only a weak sound on the left side.
no obviously bad controls.
Going through the control knobs right to left I found:

function: ok
stereo: not ok- L, R, reverse: no effect, same , good sound on right side only.
filter: ok
treble: right full effect, left little or none (weak sound, hard to tell)
bass: same
speaker A/B/C all weak on left.
suggestions? I do not see anything obvious like trace cracks, bad joints, etc.
if i put it all the way to left, it has weak controlled volume.
Any suggestions before i save the knobs?????

Edit:
I'd like to fix it if possible, anyone got any suggestions?

Last edited:
Worth fixing imo. Hurry up and donate it for a write off! (Do you have that option for charitable donations up there ?)

Worth fixing imo. Hurry up and donate it for a write off! (Do you have that option for charitable donations up there ?)

I think"worth fixing, repairing" is only worth it if you know what needs done and it is affordable.
I'd really like to fix it if possible, anyone got any suggestions?

I think these have a switch on the back to change between pre out/main in and coupled, give it a good clean as its easy to miss. I had a similar era sony with exactly the problem you describe and assumed a dead channel till I cleaned the switch

It Lives! thanks to some incredibly patient help from another audio enthusiast. i had to dig out my 40 year past electronics skills, it only hurt a little.
thank you so much! It had two likely things in the preamp section - two caps that may have been weak, and maybe the solder pin joints on the board.
caps replaced and many pins touched up with fresh solder.

Back
Top Bottom