Season’s greetings from Minnesota. My wife is calling for an intervention!

jackgustav

Just a Grumpy Old Man
My name is Jack, and I have been a member for almost a year, and figure it is time to introduce myself. I have enjoyed the wealth of knowledge found here and hope that my presence does not degrade the experience too much.

I started getting into “vintage” sound gear when I checked that online auction site for some of the units that I had, or wanted but couldn’t afford, when I was in college in the 70’s. What a surprise when I found that Marantz, Pioneer, JBL, etc. were not only available, but seemed to have a following! One Pioneer receiver after another found their way to my welcoming home (SX-980, SX-1080, SX-950, SX-939).

Then I found an ad on the local CL: “Advent, Bose, DLK, KLH, AR” Project speakers, package deal, bring a pickup truck. Ten pair of speakers were ever so quickly loaded into the back of my pickup by the wife of the fellow that placed the ad. It made more sense when he asked if my wife knew that I was bringing home ten sets of speakers. As it turns out, my timing was good. My dear wife was at work, so I could get the stuff into my basement office (I work from home) and ease my find to her gently. After a crash course in refoaming that included 2 sets of Jensen vintage Advents, 2 sets of Bose 901s, and one set of DLK 11/2s, they promptly found new homes and have funded some additional finds from the local CL.

I thought scoring a mint pair of DLK 3s in October, a set of HPM 100s in November, and a nice pair of L-100s in December was a stroke of great luck! My wife started protesting when I brought home the HPM 100s, and made a funny face when I unloaded the JBLs. I suppose I should have waited a bit before telling her about the SX-1250 that is on its’ way from that auction site! That was when the INTERVENTION word came out. I tried to placate her by setting up a nice little SX-650 DLK 11/2 system in her craft room, but that didn’t seem to go over real well,,,,something about “big speakers”.:scratch2:Oh well, she’s a good woman, and hasn’t thrown me out for worse things than this, so I have to believe that this too shall pass.

Oh, BTW, may I ask for a mustering of karma to plead with the shipping gods for safe passage for the SX-1250? Thank goodness that the FED-EX deliveries come during my wife's work hours!

Hey Jack, welcome to the forums. What took you so long to post!? Glad to have you on board, man.

Hey Jack, your story sounds very familiar to me.

Nice intro, and please post more - you have some interesting and informative things to say.

Cheers, Snade

Hey Jack, welcome to the forums. What took you so long to post!? Glad to have you on board, man.

Hey, us nordic guys from minnesota don't like to call attention to ourselves too much. We like to see how things work before we jump into the deep water. The water here feels pretty good.:yes:

Welcome, glad your here!:yes: I must say my wife has been pretty understanding of the whole audio collection thing. If only other people wouldn't look at you like you got three heads, when you they hear you have 30 pair of speakers.:bash:

Welcome to AK Jack
Glad to see another guy from MN. Wish you luck with the Wife. I have also gotten mine to the breaking point with Speakers Infinity RS 4.5s are a little big
not to mention the RSIIBs

Welcome to AK! You should have seen the look on My wife face when I hauled in the first set Magnapan's (60 inchs tall)
This to will pass,
Happy New Year!
Jim

Glad to have you Jack. You're going to love the 1250. Lots of threads here about keeping it running right.:thmbsp:

Back
Top Bottom