Secondary system

brad1138

Just upgraded every component in my secondary system. Schiit Modi 2 DAC, Schiit SYS passive preamp, Rotel RB-971 MK II Amp, "Platine Noiree" speakers.

Last week I picked up some well reviewed Sony (yes Sony) "SS-K90ED" speakers, but they didn't quiet do it for me, then I saw an add for the Earthquake Platine Noiree speakers for $300 on CL, the few reviews I could find were quite positive, and they originally sold for ~$2700/pr.

I just got them home a few hours ago, they have a very smooth presentation, with very laid back vocals. I would say almost too laid back for my tastes, but I need a bit more time with them. Also they recommend a more powerful amp. I am looking for another Rotel RB-971 MKii to either biamp or bridge for more power (70->180wpc).

I am going to test them on the main system, when I get a chance, my main systems Citation amp has much more power.

Platine Noiree speakers are inside speakers
4Na30cVh.jpg

WsB68ojh.jpg

Wn3SzD0h.jpg

9zebkTph.jpg

dFWRNKoh.jpg

So far not real pleased with either speaker though... Going to start a separate thread about that.

OK, after some more listening and trying different amps and rooms, I am happier with both sets. Both needed more power. The Sony spks benefitted a lot from being bi-amping, at 100 wpc x 4 (2 per speaker) from my main system amp. The bass improved nicely, also the room acoustic treatments tamed the highs. The Earthquake spks, need a LOT more power, they really improved when I bridged the same amp to 300x2.

I am going to try to find a second, matching Rotel amp, to either bridge for 180 wpc for the Platine Noirees, or biamp the Sony spks.

OK, I have made a few changes. I found how to make the Platine Noiree really perform and sound good. Hooking them up to my main system, with much more powerful Citation amp. But, in the end, I recently sold them (for twice what I bought them for :) ) They couldn't replace my Mirage M3SIs, and they just didn't work in secondary system. Also the Sony SS-K90ED were a bit of a miss, and are currently up for sale. Not bad, but don't do much for me.

I did however just pick up a pair of Energy Veritas 2.2s :D. I also purchased 2 Rotel 971 amps, so I could biamp my speaks, or bridge the amps for more power, depending on what works best with the speaker. The Veritas sound fantastic, next to my Mirage M3SIs, a pretty close 2nd to the best speaker purchase I have ever made. Fantastic imaging and detail. A real pleasure to listen to.

The other speakers in the picture are a pair of Mirage Omni 250s, that i just picked up a few days ago. They really sound good as well, warmer than the Energys, but not at the same level clarity wise. The problem with these Mirages is, they sound great if you are standing up next to them, but when you sit down, the highs and warmth just drop off, and the sound quality isn't even close. I got a great deal on them, and I going to flip them and make a few $.

JBENG9Mh.jpg

FzgBRhmh.jpg

Last edited:
Another pair finding a place :) Just got a good deal on a pair of Wharfedale Emerald 97 Mk IV. Original retail was $1,800 on these. They sound very good, but not sure they can top the Veritas. More bass, warmer sound, and very good imaging/soundstage, but I'll need more time and some A/Bing to have a better feel. They are close, and with better bass, I may keep them and push harder on selling the Veritas.

g10AXU1h.jpg

Back
Top Bottom