Seeking sage advise on classic cars

That 64 is really sharp
Thanks. Bought it for $800 and put maybe $10k in parts and engine rebuild into. Original paint too. Old timer did the engine, sounded like double it's cubic inches. Never again will get to enjoy vintage and I wish I sold a few years later. Over $20k car now.

And that's the thing...It wasn't an investment but when circumstances change who doesn't want to see something for their labor of love.

Good luck with the hunt!

You can have your cake and eat it too. Drive it.
I love old cars. But I don't want one to sit in the garage under a cover. I don't want to drive one that's in less than very good condition either. And I don't want to work on it much.
So every few years I buy a mid 70s full size big block sedan. For about $3000 in very good condition. Then rework the carburation and ignition. This is the current one I'm using up. Functions as new. When it fails I take it to the garage, point at what ever is making the noise and say, change that part. A true economy classic.
20180901_114904.jpg

I've been down the road of "classic" cars, and finally bailed out a few years back. Never anything really all that old--all 60's, 70's, and even 80's vehicles. The whole gamut of types, from a '64 Econoline van, '66 Caddy drop-top, '69 Olds 98 drop-top, a stable of 5 Pontiac Fieros, a few Stangs and Vettes, an '88 Ferrari 328, and my last one (that I actually kept for over 20 years), a '70 1/2 Camaro RS 396/4spd. All of them were "fun" in their own way, and I'm glad that I had the privilege of owning them. Oh yeah, and the Porsche 944 turbo--forgot about that one, because I'd really like to forget about that one--total money pit--I don't think I even kept it a full year, but at least I broke even on it (because everything was "fixed" by the time I sold it--and I had the documentation to prove it).

The Camaro was THE car, though. That's the reason it hung around for over 20 years while others came and went. I bought it from the original owner with all paperwork from the original purchase and the car was 100% stock with really low miles. I paid top dollar for it when I bought it ($7K) and my friends tortured me over that. They are not laughing so hard anymore, since I sold it (at auction) in 2016 for almost $50K--and basically put no money into it, other than brakes, a battery, tires, exhaust and the normal fluid/filter routine. When sold, it still had all original paint, 43K on the clock, original "pleather" interior and Delco 8-track deck in the dash.

I never intended for it to become a "trailer queen", but in the latter years, that's what had happened. The car was going up in value so rapidly that I was literally getting afraid to drive it for "fun" anymore, so time to pass it on. Kenny Rogers said it best "you got to know when to hold 'em, know when to fold 'em, know when to walk away, know when to run"--so I did. Regrets--yes, but it is what it is.

It was no longer "fun"--it was an "asset". So I sold it and bought a "modern muscle car"--a Challenger HellCat, and just recently got rid of it for a new Challenger HellCat RedEye--797 hp that can haul a 4000 lb vehicle from 0-60 in less than 4 seconds, and still has all the creature comforts of a modern vehicle.

I miss my "bitchin' Camaro", but now I have something different/better, or at least what fulfills my needs as I get older.

Back
Top Bottom