Seeking thoughts on a quality "mid-range / budget" cart for an SL-D2

Pyramid1

As a child of the 70's-80's, I grew up with vinyl and have lived through the evolution from there to tape, CD, MP3 and to streaming. It occurred to me that somewhere along the way, things started going backwards and I realized don't quite hear that engaging openness or "sweetness" in digital recordings. I've spent some time looking at what you might call "upper-entry" and "lower mid-range" decks and am not particularly impressed. It seems the hipsters have driven up prices on decent used decks, but I found a reasonably clean Technics SL-D2 a fair price given today's market.

I've been heads down looking at cartridge choices and am a bit overwhelmed. The deck has an Acutex Saturn V head-shell with what looks like an M207 cart (grey tip) that the seller describes as in "good condition" but I'm just going to assume it's trash. After much reading, youtube viewing and listening to samples on davyw's site, I found a seller who has unbranded Goldring Elektra / EdRed / MG32/etc carts with elliptical stylus for $35, so I bit the bullet on that as a way to get started. It'll get bolted to a standard Technics headshell. I also realized that NOTHING I own has a phono pre, so an ART preamp is on the way. None of this is anywhere near "audiophile" quality, of course, but neither is my budget or 40+ year old ears.

I'm looking for thoughts about what would be a mid, $100-ish cartridge that would marry well with the D2's tone-arm. So far, the Grado Black/Green/Red line seems intriguing (fan of their headphones), the AT95/100/120 line, though even in online audio they sound....thin, my friend has a pair of Ortofon Concords on his 1200 Mk IIs for DJing that sound good when you want pure power and volume and a Shure M97xE he uses for general listening and ripping that I do think sounds reasonably good, but a bit "claustrophobic" or "contained" in his recordings. There's also the Ortofon 2M Red that people seem to like as a go-to, but the samples I've downloaded seem to have a harshness and weird upper end. I wish I could audition carts, but it's just not going to happen.

So what else should I be paying attention to that has controlled, tight bass, controlled mids, vocal presence, open upper mids and highs that are engaging yet controlled (cymbals that don't fall apart) and has good spacial presentation? Within the budget limits of course. I enjoy a wide range of genres, so I'm looking for a solid all 'rounder.

My listening equipment will vary widely. An average Yamaha receiver pushing Paradigm 5SEMk3 2 way towers (with surround satellites, sub, center), Alessandro/Grado MS-1 or Etymotic ER4 headphones (maybe even my Koss 4/AAs) or my "studio" which centers around a Yamaha MG32 board and Monoprice 8" powered monitors (they punch way above their weight).

Any thoughts you might have would be greatly appreciated. And thanks for slogging through this diatribe.

Last edited:
As a child of the 70's-80's, I grew up with vinyl and have lived through the evolution from there to tape, CD, MP3 and to streaming. It occurred to me that somewhere along the way, things started going backwards and I realized don't quite hear that engaging openness or "sweetness" in digital recordings. I've spent some time looking at what you might call "upper-entry" and "lower mid-range" decks and am not particularly impressed. It seems the hipsters have driven up prices on decent used decks, but I found a reasonably clean Technics SL-D2 a fair price given today's market.

I've been heads down looking at cartridge choices and am a bit overwhelmed. The deck has an Acutex Saturn V head-shell with what looks like an M207 cart (grey tip) that the seller describes as in "good condition" but I'm just going to assume it's trash. After much reading, youtube viewing and listening to samples on davyw's site, I found a seller who has unbranded Goldring Elektra / EdRed / MG32/etc carts with elliptical stylus for $35, so I bit the bullet on that as a way to get started. It'll get bolted to a standard Technics headshell. I also realized that NOTHING I own has a phono pre, so an ART preamp is on the way. None of this is anywhere near "audiophile" quality, of course, but neither is my budget or 40+ year old ears.

I'm looking for thoughts about what would be a mid, $100-ish cartridge that would marry well with the D2's tone-arm. So far, the Grado Black/Green/Red line seems intriguing (fan of their headphones), the AT95/100/120 line, though even in online audio they sound....thin, my friend has a pair of Ortofon Concords on his 1200 Mk IIs for DJing that sound good when you want pure power and volume and a Shure M97xE he uses for general listening and ripping that I do think sounds reasonably good, but a bit "claustrophobic" or "contained" in his recordings. There's also the Ortofon 2M Red that people seem to like as a go-to, but the samples I've downloaded seem to have a harshness and weird upper end. I wish I could audition carts, but it's just not going to happen.

So what else should I be paying attention to that has controlled, tight bass, controlled mids, vocal presence, open upper mids and highs that are engaging yet controlled (cymbals that don't fall apart) and has good spacial presentation? Within the budget limits of course. I enjoy a wide range of genres, so I'm looking for a solid all 'rounder.

My listening equipment will vary widely. An average Yamaha receiver pushing Paradigm 5SEMk3 2 way towers (with surround satellites, sub, center), Alessandro/Grado MS-1 or Etymotic ER4 headphones (maybe even my Koss 4/AAs) or my "studio" which centers around a Yamaha MG32 board and Monoprice 8" powered monitors (they punch way above their weight).

Any thoughts you might have would be greatly appreciated. And thanks for slogging through this diatribe.

So many possibilities... I've been going through the same thing. What I've learned (so far) is that stylus options are very important and allow an easy upgrade path without buying multiple cartridges. So, I'd look for a cartridge that accepts a wide range (both cost and performance) of replacement stylii. Matching the sylus/cartridge to the tonearm is also important. I've also learned that there are some great, vintage cartridges available for a song that can easily be upgraded by simply replacing the stylus. For example, something like a used Shure M91 series cartridge, with an LP gear Vivid Line stylus can be had in your budget range.

There are also a lot of OEM cartridges that were made by Shure, and others, that fly under the radar, but share the same bodies, and thus the same stylii, as their name brand counterparts. I learned that the two cartridges that came on my two Goodwill tables (an MCS 6601 and a Realistic Lab 440) were both made by Shure and I ordered new stylii for both - actually a new stylus for one and a NOS genuine Shure stylus for the other.

You may want to check out the Good Bang for your Buck Vintage Carts for several other options.

In new, the AT cartridges have lots of stylus upgrade options. So, you could start with a lower end cartridge like the AT91 or AT95 and upgrade the stylus to something like a hyper elliptical, or even an LP Gear Vivid Line stylus for just a little over your budget. Again lots of options...

Last edited:
I wish I could find info about that Acutex cartridge. Information is scant. All I've really found is that replacement styli are unobtanium. I'm hoping the (unbranded) Goldring Elektra will live up to the hype and be a good start. I'll check out that thread.

I love the Grado sound. I have a Grado Gold1 and Blue1. I also have other cartridges including AKG, Empire, Stanton, Shure and Audio Technica, but the Grados are by far my favorite. That's my 2¢.

I wish I could find info about that Acutex cartridge. Information is scant. All I've really found is that replacement styli are unobtanium. I'm hoping the (unbranded) Goldring Elektra will live up to the hype and be a good start. I'll check out that thread.

Honestly, I know nothing about either. I've been mostly focused on Shure and AT. Shure, because I have two of their carts that they OEMed for others in need of replacement stylii and AT because they are have good, affordable cartridges available that can easily be upgraded with aftermarket stylii.

The two OEM Shure cartridges I got also seem to be good matches for two of my tables. The 2215 that came on the MCS 6601 (basically an OEM version of the Technics SL-2000 that adds semi-automatic operation) is the same cartridge as the Shure M75. It seems to be a good match for the Technics and will make a good daily driver.

The R47XT that came on the Realistic Lab 440 is the same body as the Shure M95 cartridge, but with a longer plastic shroud that, if shortened, allows it to take any M95 replacement stylus. Or, unmodified, it can take any Shure NDC stylus. I ordered a NOS Shure Ne95ED stylus for it that will fit without shortening the shroud, and plan to mount it on my Elac Miracord 50H.

In any case, this sure (no pun intended) is fun. I also lucked into a Signet TK10ML that was a pretty high end cartridge back in the 1980s. I mounted it on my Lab 440 yesterday and have been enjoying listening to some of my favorite LPs again. Like you, I made the progression from vinyl to CD to streaming (only I skipped MP3 and rip all my CDs in AIFF to an older Mac Mini dedicated music server). I also went to SACD, which I love, but the selection of titles is limited. Thankfully, I kept all my old LPs from the 1970s and early 1980s. They were always stored properly, and handled with care. They basically sat unplayed for 30 years. So, it's fun to break them out and enjoy them all over again.

Good luck in your search. With so many options, I'm sure you'll find something you like.

I'd like to perhaps give a Grado Green a shot, but stories of "Grado Dance", high sensitivity to tracking force, less than stellar tracking ability and other general finickiness is offputting. How well do these carts behave on a Technics S tone-arm?

I'd like to perhaps give a Grado Green a shot, but stories of "Grado Dance", high sensitivity to tracking force, less than stellar tracking ability and other general finickiness is offputting. How well do these carts behave on a Technics S tone-arm?

They perform fine on Technics and other S arms that I have personally used. I can't imagine why you'd have any problems.

I use an Ortofon Om10 on my sld2 and it sounds excellent. I also use a Shure Sc35c with m35x stylus for lps in poor condition and occasionally a Technics Epc207. The om10 is definitely a great sounding cart.

There is a huge thread on AK about Acutex cartridges. Search it out. They are very nice. It may be possible to use a 412 LPM cartridge in that body - though I am not 100% on that. There is a seller in Italy that had these available not long ago. Search for Acutex 312 STR and you should find that thread. User Boras is king of info on Acutex.

Congrats on getting the SL-D2. I had the SL-Q2 and if the D2 is anything like it, you've got a solid, dependable turntable there.

I've had several Technics turntables in my systems over the years. I'm currently using a SL-1210M3D. One of the the things I like about these tables is the way it is so easy to swap cartridges in and out (after you have acquired a few headshells). Once the cartridges are mounted to the headshells, you're talking about 5 mins tops to switch in a different cart.

I've been able to try quite a few different carts on my Technics turntables - AT's, Ortofons, Grados, Shures, Denons and probably others I can't remember. To my ear, the AT's and Ortofons have sounded consistently the best on Technics tonearms. I'm not sure why but there seems to be some synergy there.

I have not tried any Ortofons from the latest Red/Blue/Bronze/Black lineup but have quite a bit of experience with the OM series. As others have suggested, the OM-10 is a nice sounding cart and once you have an OM body, the OM-20 stylus gives you an easy route for a significant upgrade. At today's prices, the OM-10 (non super) has got to be one of the best "bang for the buck" deals out there. I have both the regular OM bodies and Concorde Pro S bodies and to me they sound the same. I love the sleek look of the Concorde bodies and they have got to be one of the easiest carts to cue up.

You ask about a "solid all 'rounder". If I had to live with just one cartridge (affordable) on my SL-1210, it would be the Audio Technica AT-7V. To me, it gets lots of things right and nothing wrong. I find the 7V's sound more full bodied than the OM's. The 7V has plenty of life on the top end w/o being bright. Good tracker too.

Lately, I've been switching back and forth between the 7V and a Grado Gold 1. I'm finding that I like the 7V for upbeat music (like rock) and the Grado more for jazz, acoustic and vocals. I have noticed though that on some albums the Grado sounds too laid back, and on a few just downright dull. When I switch to the 7V on those albums, the sound quality improves. Some people say that one needs a fluid damper for Grado carts to sound their best on Technics arms - perhaps that's what's going on.

There is another cartridge that gets quite a bit of online buzz that you might want to consider and that is the Nagaoka MP-110. I've heard and enjoyed one on my buddy's Thorens but never on a Technics.

Good luck to you on your return voyage into vinyl.

Last edited:
Thanks for the tip on the OM10. I thought those were gone / replaced by the 2M. I'll look into the 7V too.

Most everything has arrived except for the TT itself and the Goldring (clone). I'm waiting with bated breath.

I was playing around with samples I got off of Hi-Fi Cartridge Reviews last night. A-B (CDE) testing between different examples. I settled on his sample of "Landslide", trying to discern the various qualities, which cart brought out what kind of details, what I didn't care for, etc. And then for the heck of it, I brought up Spotify set to maximum quality and started "Landslide".. Holy crap! Ugh! The guitar and vocal nuance was gone, The soundstage was gone, her voice was WAY up front and it had a general skull pounding quality. The "worse" cart sample I listened to was far better than streaming. Dug out my old CD. Better, but still lacking. My speakers "disappear" with the phono cart samples. Not so with any digital copy I have access to. I think the illusion has been destroyed.

Thanks

Last edited:
I'll second not being too hasty with that Acutex cartridge. I have a nice one (LPM) that sounds very good, but is waiting in the wings until I have a chance get it under a microscope. What ever life it has left, I want to use it.

Aren't used / eBay cartridges a bit sketchy? What are the visual signs of a worn needle? Microscope view with a soft / rounded tip?

I'm exactly like you and bit the bullet buying this after much reading and thinking my original 36 year old Shell on my Sansui XR-Q7 turntable was probably due replacing.

Only $144 US including shipping

Nagaoka MP type Cartridge Shell with MP-110HH

http://www.ebay.com/itm/121550436468

Good reviews for this one, but is said to require, substantial break in,
May want to look at vintage Empire carts, get one with original stylus if possible, can be a bit pricey though as originals are hard to come by

Back
Top Bottom