Votes: 51 14.2%
  • Maybe

Votes: 44 12.2%
  • No

Votes: 265 73.6%

• Total voters
Self driving cars. Haw!
I want my self flying car.
They look to be just a few years farther out from the self driving car type.
:thumbsup:

flyingcar_poster.jpg

Above Airworthiness (including "driver" ) proven by FAA/EASA/CAA or whatever, instead of bankers, investors/marketing people or politicians. A long way to go ?

The tech is coming up fast for both self drive and flying.
I suspect ALL the vested interests will work mightily to slow it do a claw or stop it if possible.
Both would be real disruptors to the status quo.
The unseen consequences would be many and far reaching.

And the benefits to the masses of people?
Hey, who said that was of any importance?

The tech is coming up fast for both self drive and flying.
I suspect ALL the vested interests will work mightily to slow it do a claw or stop it if possible.
Both would be real disruptors to the status quo.
The unseen consequences would be many and far reaching.

And the benefits to the masses of people?
Hey, who said that was of any importance?
What's new with the tech?

They are being tested in my area by Waymo; I see several daily on my commute. I can't wait! I'd rather take my chances with a thoroughly engineered self-driving car than all the morons I see texting while driving, or with dogs in their laps.

I own and love a dog. You can get a leash at Petco that has a standard seat belt buckle. Fido is tethered in the back when we go anywhere in the car.

Almost all of us who are fortunate enough to reach retirement age will get cataracts; believe me, they impair your vision. The Baby Boomers will be reaching their dangerous ages soon.

Please pardon my angry tone, but this goes directly to my own safety.

"cataracts"
Here in Canada Cataracts are repaired for Free:)

deleted (too political, I presume)
I really didn't start the thread for politics. It's like starting a thread about airplanes in the year 1538. The politics are extremely premature, hypothetical, and irrelevant. Technical and legal aspects are OK.

One Uber self-driving vehicle was in an accident last year; the investigation did not find the Uber vehicle to be at fault.
The National Transportation Safety Board among others will be investigating the recent Tempe accident; let's get the facts before we draw conclusions.

One Uber self-driving vehicle was in an accident last year; the investigation did not find the Uber vehicle to be at fault.
The National Transportation Safety Board among others will be investigating the recent Tempe accident; let's get the facts before we draw conclusions.
So far the facts are that the pedestrian was outside the official "crosswalk" zone - jaywalking if you please and the vehicle had a human in position behind the wheel, assigned the role of "emergency override" for the lack of a better term. Nothing really to embellish at this point.

Sorry thing is...

Someone gets run over by a self driven Uber car and dies. Then everyone else has to just live with it.....like we have no choice !!

Sorry thing is...

Someone gets run over by a self driven Uber car and dies. Then everyone else has to just live with it.....like we have no choice !!

I'm sure if I were to search through enough microfiche I would find newspaper articles from the early 20th century saying the exact same thing about horseless carriages.

I would also be interested in knowing just how many other people in the same area were run over and killed by cars with human drivers in full control. In addition, what were the circumstances that brought the accident about? Did the person fling themselves in front of the Uber car? Was the person blatantly ignoring the rules? Did the Uber car run a red light or was it speeding? Details.

Recently here in Miami, a new high speed rail system called "Brightline" was opened up offering service between Ft. Lauderdale and West Palm Beach. After a few days, the fatalities started piling up. Six people were run over by the trains. The outcry immediately began. Brightline is unsafe, irresponsible and should be shut down. No mention of how these negligent accidents happened. Then details start to emerge. One woman committed suicide by jumping in front of the train. A bicyclist is seen completely ignoring the loud clanging bell, the barricades, the myriad flashing lights and deliberately goes around them and gets crushed. Similar blatant ignoring of the safety warnings caused all the other deaths.

There comes a point where some personal responsibility for one's own safety needs to get factored into the equation. I think so anyway.

And even then, no system is going to be perfect. No machine is going to be 100% safe, at least not with our current technology.

I'm sure if I were to search through enough microfiche I would find newspaper articles from the early 20th century saying the exact same thing about horseless carriages.

I would also be interested in knowing just how many other people in the same area were run over and killed by cars with human drivers in full control. In addition, what were the circumstances that brought the accident about? Did the person fling themselves in front of the Uber car? Was the person blatantly ignoring the rules? Did the Uber car run a red light or was it speeding? Details.

Recently here in Miami, a new high speed rail system called "Brightline" was opened up offering service between Ft. Lauderdale and West Palm Beach. After a few days, the fatalities started piling up. Six people were run over by the trains. The outcry immediately began. Brightline is unsafe, irresponsible and should be shut down. No mention of how these negligent accidents happened. Then details start to emerge. One woman committed suicide by jumping in front of the train. A bicyclist is seen completely ignoring the loud clanging bell, the barricades, the myriad flashing lights and deliberately goes around them and gets crushed. Similar blatant ignoring of the safety warnings caused all the other deaths.

There comes a point where some personal responsibility for one's own safety needs to get factored into the equation. I think so anyway.

And even then, no system is going to be perfect. No machine is going to be 100% safe, at least not with our current technology.

That’s true...

But with dumb-ass (hee-haw) syndrome going around, a train locomotive jumped the tracks at a train tressel that crossed I-5 on a stretch of track that hadn’t been used for longer than a decade and they cover it up by saying the engineers were driving too fast to avoid a negligence law suit. Then a suspended pedestrian bridge over traffic crumbles and kills six people. People fifty years ago did not even rationalize things the same way as today, the engineer that inspected the bridge sent an email. So it’s not about the technology, it’s about the people that can’t stay focused enough to maintain proper involvement. It’s about who programmed, who approved the automated system and testing the car on a figure eight racetrack with obstacles and stuntmen on bicycles first. A word that once was used known as precaution..... Like we use to say back in the seventies, there’s nothing wrong with the car...it’s the loose nut behind the wheel !!! There is a police officer going to court right now from the Bronx in a perjury case that would have sent someone to prison. With people walking around like they drank too much water from the Great Lakes, rivers from Detroit drain into the Great Lakes......who would you trust with your life to do it correctly ????

The one question I have is , who carries the car insurance ? If a car can drive itself , then I'm not paying for the insurance and I'm not responsible .

The suits are blaming the victim. The car failed. In the time it took the "engineer" to switch to "Plan B" the engineer also failed. Deer don't usually use crosswalks, neither do children chasing balls. The technology failed a test. What this means is open to interpretation - but it was not a success.

Back
Top Bottom