Would You Buy A Self-Driving Car?

• Yes

Votes: 51 14.2%
  • Maybe

Votes: 44 12.2%
  • No

Votes: 265 73.6%

• Total voters
From what I'm hearing it seems like it was an issue with that particular car. They reported there's approximately 200 self driving cars on that road every day
If your argument is that it was a random fluke I suppose that's possible. OTOH this behavior might be repeatable, which is how machines typically work. Here's another guy who was curious about the problem. You can see the graphic change from two parallel lines on either side of the vehicle (in the display) to a single line to the left of the vehicle. IOW it looks like the machine has made a decision identical to that made in the previous experiment (at night).

I see no problem.
latest

Self driving cars are years off. In the near term we will be offered automation that helps us drive. The Tesla 'Autopilot' is exactly a version of this ... it is not a self driving technology but an automation assist technology. This means that one has to use it as a driving aid (like cruise control) and not an opportunity to divert your attention to something else (while the car operates on its own). There is a deeper story here, on the recent autopilot crash in mountain view. The owner of this Tesla had previously complained to Tesla that autopilot was steering to the left under certain conditions. So the 'autopilot' was not working properly. Its a tragic loss of life.

The owner of this Tesla had previously complained to Tesla that autopilot was steering to the left under certain conditions. So the 'autopilot' was not working properly.
The question is "Was the autopilot working as designed?". Was the autopilot working as designed and functioning in a normal predictable deterministic manner? Perhaps yes. Is this "proper"? Perhaps no.

In the near term we will be offered automation that helps us drive.

I'd rather see technology forced into cars along the lines of devices that detect breath-alcohol level of the driver before allowing the car to move, a system that will not allow the car to operate if it detects a working cell-phone in the driver area. Insead of a "key" transponder, an RFID equipped drivers licence, that is valid, must be presented to the car, which would also prove in the event of an accident or theft who was driving, and make it impossible for an unlicensed driver to operate a car.

Well, as someone who loves cars as both engineering marvels and art (which is one in the same to me) AND has emotional attachments to certain models like the 1969 Road Runner or the Holden HSV ANYTHING... (the Aussies have kept the American love of the muscle car alive longer than we have....IMO of course) I welcome the advent of the self driving car.

Why would someone that loves cars be so "Tesla Happy?" Because DRIVING.

Going to work in the morning isn't driving. Going from A to B isn't DRIVING.

Driving is like what we would call critical listening. When you are hyper aware of every tiny little detail. When you want to shift the transmission yourself and feel each vibration as the gears engage. Comfort is secondary to connection with the road.

THAT is driving. Make your own connections with listening to music. And realize how rare the occasion is for most of us.

When I am not DRIVING I would rather be reading or playing a video game or getting some work done. Driving to work is the same as listening to background music. I don't want to put any effort or thought into it.

So I long for the day that I can get into an AI car and listen to music with my eyes closed.

There's nothing wrong about wishing and dreaming. There are, however, some very fundamental implementational details - like not driving into big bright red stationary fire trucks - that must first be addressed. Therein lies the rub. Hardware is easy. Software - not so.

There's nothing wrong about wishing and dreaming. There are, however, some very fundamental implementational details - like not driving into big bright red stationary fire trucks - that must first be addressed. Therein lies the rub. Hardware is easy. Software - not so.

For sure... we are still at the "man holding a lantern" stage of the self driving car era. But in 20 years, I hope to buy a nice new self driver for my 70th birthday. With a cassette player.

But, it would be great for when I get old and they take my drivers license away....

I mean like, mobility is everything in this country !! The elderly are so over looked in this country that the ones that have money are moving to Costa Rica....
Im old I like being the old dude driving that old hot rod you wish you had and I got no business driving...I probably didn't even see ya when I jumped out in front of ya at that 4 way stop. Seriously I do that..sorry and thanks for watching out for me:):beerchug:

Im old I like being the old dude driving that old hot rod you wish you had and I got no business driving...I probably didn't even see ya when I jumped out in front of ya at that 4 way stop. Seriously I do that..sorry and thanks for watching out for me:):beerchug:

I’m old too with 20/20 vision and I see that all the time.....

I wish that my sight was something other than it seems to be heading. I dont have any issue with those in rush so wrongly named hour traffic. I have only had to make the commue to work perhaps once every week or two as driving is or rather was my profession. I agree that if self driving cars will allow time for people to allow a skill that so many truly are not qualified, lack the focus necessary to operate a motor vehicle than by all means they need one. I thought the question was would you or I ever purchase one. I managed to keep any and all 4 wheelers, truck drivers horse drawn carriages motorcycles and pedestrians from being a statistic from any portion of my tractor trailer or any portion of any oversized load for multi million Miles. I am sure I was a factor in that as every day all day in my "office" I can assure you some one was blissfully ignorant of the fact that if I hadn't done what ever adjustment required they would have been squashed like a bug. I will drive my old Chevy and try to continue as I have over a lifetime as a professional driver.
I wish That all drivers truly did "see that every day" in reaction to my prior post. I was being brutally honest other than the blissfully unaware. I am aware but only after the fact. I long to have that 2020 vision back but its probably not going to happen. It's the control
Or the lack of. I am aware but must be even more so as the ability to read others thoughts before they do fades. I drive because I love to I can say that the amount of what I love to do becomes less and less. I hope more and more folks answer the above question differenly than I did...
"I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left " NemoBit

When I'm 70 and I see someone do that I'm going to slam the grill of my 1979 Lincoln Town Car right into the driver's door. If it gets there before you cross the intersection in your Corvette. Maybe I'll just clip the back bumper.

If your argument is that it was a random fluke I suppose that's possible. OTOH this behavior might be repeatable, which is how machines typically work. Here's another guy who was curious about the problem. You can see the graphic change from two parallel lines on either side of the vehicle (in the display) to a single line to the left of the vehicle. IOW it looks like the machine has made a decision identical to that made in the previous experiment (at night).

That car is so quiet. I want one more now.

Back
Top Bottom