Semi DIY speaker build

Tube Radio

In January I lost the house to a tree and also one KLH 22A speaker.

I did find the woofer and the frame where the screws mount is bent slightly in some spots, but is otherwise ok.

Today as the trailer was being demolished I found the crossover and tweeter in good condition.

I have the other KLH 24A speaker which barely got a scratch.

I have two of these Auvio speaker cabinets which I had initially planned on installing new drivers in a few years ago which never happened.

https://worldinfo2day.wordpress.com/2011/06/05/auvio™-3-way-140w-bookshelf-speakers-pair/

The KLH woofer does fit and the KLH tweeter in its enclosure fits in the midrange hole.

The tweeter hole I can either plug or this tweeter will fit in the hole.

https://www.parts-express.com/hivi-tn25-fabric-dome-tweeter--297-408

I have a subwoofer for bass under 70Hz.

Will those cabinets work for those drivers?

It won't look pretty, but if it sounds good then looks don't much matter.

I had tried to integrate a dome tweeter with the KLH speakers at one point, but never could get it sounding right.

Perhaps those HI-VI tweeters will integrate better.

Concerning the crossover the woofer is 6db/octave and the tweeter is 12 db/octave. Would it be best to use the crossover or if I use dome tweeters should I use one of those Dayton Audio three way crossovers?

I might try straightening the woofer's frame tomorrow and doing a test fit just to see how they sound.

Last edited:
I'd be using the original tweeters anyways, but would add the domes as super tweeters as those cone tweeters don't sound that good above around 12KHz.

You might want to measure the size of the original KLH cabinet and the Auvio's and compare the total volume. If they are about the same size, the woofers should match the cabinets OK. You do need to deal with the different sensitivities of the new speakers you are looking at. I am in the middle of a woofer change on my Philips 466's and found that the I need to pad the mid range and tweeter down 9 dB. I'm waiting on the power resistors from Mouser now.

Shelly_D

I made a mistake in the original post. they are 22A not 24A. I did correct it. also the crossover for the woofer is 12 db/octave and the tweeter is 6 db/octave.

KLH
H 18"
W 10 1/4"
D 7"
Thickness 1/4"

AUVIO
H 16 1/4"
W 10 1/2"
D 11 1/2"
THICKNESS 1/4"

Just finished the speakers and they sound good if not better than they were originally.

I noticed something very interesting though.

Doing a low frequency sweep I found that leaving the tweeter opening in the Auvio speakers opened extended the usable low frequency resonse some. also things like kick drum and bass guitar sound better.

On the song forever young by alphaville I can actually almost feel the kick drum and I don't think that's happened with any other speaker I've ever owned. of course when I close the holes the effect goes away.

The tweeter holes look nearly large enough for a toilet paper tube to fit so I might experiment with that, although given they are used above 70 Hz that may not be necessary as I doubt it will make much difference.

It's seriously got me questioning if I still need a powered sub with them.

Had to split the insulation between both cabinets though as I didn't have the insulation for the busted cabinet.

Will post pictures later.

Last edited:
Here's the speakers.

They do look ugly, but I have the grills.

I noticed last night that the speakers don't quite sound right with the "port" and using a toilet tissue roll did help some, but not much. Think I will try and find some more insulation or some polyfill and stuff the cabinets better then seal up the tweeter opening.

What I should have done is leave the one good speaker whole and compared both speakers to see which sounds better.

Back
Top Bottom