SET amp characteristics

As someone with big speakers in a small room, I'm not convinced this is a legitimate issue (in general). It is possible K-horns are not at their best in the near-field. They're sealed in the corners, correct?

It might be better. Old CD players use 1v output levels. If you can find the input sensitivity specs for the amp you'll get a better picture of what levels you can send to it.

Ummmm what? Standard CD player output is 2v, not many lower than that (which one?).

Line stage gain is 30 dB on the Grommes.
0.5v for full output.

Well I just hooked up some smaller speakers and the low end is there. So I put the amp back on my K-horns and it is definitely there.
It has to be different recordings or I had something amiss on my end somewhere. Different recordings don’t have as much bottom end as others. It seems more evident with tubes I guess. Don’t know but at this point I’m very happy with the sound. As was said above, my brain needs to adjust to tubes after listening to SS. My other system is SS, and I listen to that frequently as well. Maybe that needs to change!
Thanks to all that helped me explain the characteristics of thes amps. I can honestly say I could make the switch to tubes and be happy with them.
Thanks again.

Well I just hooked up some smaller speakers and the low end is there. So I put the amp back on my K-horns and it is definitely there.
It has to be different recordings or I had something amiss on my end somewhere. Different recordings don’t have as much bottom end as others. It seems more evident with tubes I guess. Don’t know but at this point I’m very happy with the sound. As was said above, my brain needs to adjust to tubes after listening to SS. My other system is SS, and I listen to that frequently as well. Maybe that needs to change!
Thanks to all that helped me explain the characteristics of thes amps. I can honestly say I could make the switch to tubes and be happy with them.
Thanks again.
I had a similar problem with my SET amp. None of my speakers seemed to be a good fit. Mostly because of low sensitivity. One pair I tried again in a different position and made a huge difference. Being 95db speakers they are kinda on the edge, but sound very nice now on their sides at ear level.
That little experiment saved me a lot of money not having to buy expensive horn kits. The SET is getting a lot of use now compared to my PP tube amp. The room is almost square, 18'x20'.

What amp are you using Lavane? Sorry if I missed that.

I really like the SET sound. I have mother system I would like to add another amp to. Wondering about the 300b or 2a3 route. Thoughts?

Don’t want to speak too soon, but I may be replacing all my SS gear. Keep it simple instead of having 5 amps around.

It's a 300B. My main system is tube, but I have several SS systems as well. It's always handy to have a backup or two.

I will build a new one and then check to hear how it compares to one i built awhile back. Then i will put into the system a vintage push pull amp. It helps to recognize the differences. The only thing i don''t hook up is a SS amp. I had a home theatre amp that i tried in the stereo system but that did not last more than once.

Back
Top Bottom