Set up Help

Markkueh

Please excuse my newbness here but just getting into the audio game based on a set of recently acquired dahlquist d-10 speakers and a Dq-1w subwoofer from a family member. Also have the passive crossover. 1754277-dahlquist-dqmx1-passive-crossover.jpg
I recently picked up a Yamaha P 2200 pro Poweramp and is wondering if this was a good combination, as I have read the speakers will require a lot of power. Also, I understand that you can connect an additional amp to power the subwoofer but was unsure of the right way to hook it up. Would I need a speaker wire/RCA adapter such as these to come out of the crossover "sub out" than to another amp input?
10-pcs-Speaker-Wire-Cable-to-Audio-Male-RCA-Connector-Adapter-Jack-Plug-2016-Hot-For.jpg_640x640.jpg
I also have the option of acquiring an emotiva usp-1 preamp with a dedicated sub out, could I use this then to bypass the crossover and go directly into an additional amp to power the sub? Is it okay to bypass or not use the passive crossover when using these speakers and subwoofer?
One final dumb question, on the Yamaha power amp it has two output controls for each Channel, is it best to just open these up all the way and use preamp for volume control, or do they need to be limited some what?

Sorry for the rambling and basic questions, just trying to learn.

Thanks

The passive crossover will work just fine connected to the Yamaha power amp.
I would not use those adaptors. They appear to be RCA connectors to bare speaker wire adaptors.
If you acquire the Emotiva preamp using the sub out connector to drive a separate amp for the sub will work just fine.

Great, thanks for the response. So if I go with the Emotiva pre, then I can just eliminate the crossover box completely from the system?

Yes. There is no need to have an active and a passive subwoofer crossover connected simultaneously. You will need a separate mono amplifier for the sub if you use the active crossover in the Emotiva.

FWIW: I have a couple of pieces of Emotiva gear and I'm very satisfied with them.

All you have right now is the amp and speakers with crossover and sub?

That combo will work fine with a line level output from some source, cdp, phone maybe, other things, not phono. Using the yamaha controls for volume.

The Dahlquist yahoo group has some documents for you but the OM for the speakers are on hifi-manuals.com and HiFiEngine has some stuff.

What serial number and we can let you know where you stand in the long run of the DQ-10.

My main system is very similar to what you propose. Emotive USP-1 with Emo XPA-1L monoblocks driving DQ-10’s. The DQ-1W is driven by a bridged Sony TA-N55ES amp from the USP-1 SW output set to 85 dB.
Earlier on I used the passive crossover with the sub and it was a bit wooly. With a dedicated amp the sub is tight and well controlled.
The USP-1 also has high pass filter for the mains. I tried setting that at 85dB to lighten the deep bass load on the mains. The amps have so much reserves it didn’t make a difference so I run the mains full range but YMMV.
Be careful with the sub and make sure the fuse is the right size and type. The driver is only rated for 60W. I learned this lesson the hard way by smoking the voice coil. It’s a unique 13” driver. I was lucky to have a local shop that could replace the voice coil.
I’d run the Yamaha amp wide open. Again make sure the fuses are right. My amps are 250W and don’t have attenuators. Then again I never get past 12:00 on the volume dial. I run the 330W sub amp at 50% on its attenuator to set the relative volume level.

Back
Top Bottom