Setting up a PC as a source

Coffeehound

I'm trying to figure out how to configure/buy/build a PC to use as digital download player. I have a usb DSD input and optical inputs for PCM on my Yamaha 2 channel SACD player. It's been a couple of eons ago but I have built pcs before.

The AISO driver requires 2ghz/1GB, Win 7 or 8. I'm finding it challenging to come up with a prebuilt system that meets the criteria which is fanless with a small form factor (for less than a grand). I'm looking at building a mini itx system with both usb and optical outs and installing an ssd to store the downloads.

Any better solutions for what I'm trying to do? Pitfalls I need to avoid if I build my own?

Any help would be appreciated, I've never even played a file through any outboard unit and it's a steep learning curve.

I used a Dell mini 910 for usb/pcm. It is diskless(ssd), fanless, wireless. Everything else that I looked at was much more expensive for a quiet diy pc.

Not what you are asking, but could you just do the download on a normal machine in a different room, then access with a network player of some description connected to your stereo?

I've looked for laptops and tablets that fit the specs but so far they either don't have the power, don't have optical outputs or they cost a small fortune. I think I can put together a mini itx for under $600.

I'm not all that up on music servers, network players etc.--I've done a little reading. I want to use the quality dac I just invested in and I'm not sure about using wifi to stream the files, think I'd rather stay wired. Wifi hasn't been the best and I'm not sure why, I used the same router in our old house and it was solid, now I reboot fairly often. But I'm open to options other than a dedicated computer.

Nice looking cases. I was planning on going fanless to keep the noise down, limits me on processing power though--i7 620m 2.66ghz. Do I need a bigger chip to stream these files?

You could look into nettops, and the acer aspire revo line might work for ya - I remember they had some i3-based mini ITX systems. As for the fan, I have one and it rarely comes on, and is quiet. Could be worth some thought/consideration.

Nice looking cases. I was planning on going fanless to keep the noise down, limits me on processing power though--i7 620m 2.66ghz. Do I need a bigger chip to stream these files?

the cases are great; I have an almost identical one in another system. The supplied fans are VERY quiet, but for those who want to go another route, there is liquid cooling.

I wanted a larger case since while I was at it, I will include a decent video card, office software...

This way, I can work on Excel/Word etc., listen to Pandora, watch Netflix, all with one package. The package will have rack handles and mount in a server rack with other hi fi components.

A 1.6GHz Pentium M with 1GB ram, will happily stream 24/192KHz PCM audio through ASIO btw.

Edit: a Core i7 620m is a laptop chip, finding a desktop mobo that supports this chip isn't going to be easy, and probably not cheap either.
It's more then fast enough though.

Edit2:
A Pentium G3420T CPU is cheap and only consumes 35w, is more then fast enough for audio streaming and is a desktop processor.

Edit3: The Fractal Design Node 304 case, is compact and has room for enormous coolers.

Last edited:
I should have clarified that I'm using the Dell mini much like a versatile appliance with logitech software. It only runs squeezelite for most material and Logitech media server is running elsewhere. At times I will play a file directly on it with foobar. The o.s. is a very stripped down windows 7.

The ultimate goal is running windows server 2012 in core mode with jriver. I may be close taxing the mini in this scenario as it maxes out at 2GB of memory.

Take a look into how pc hardware and excessive processes/interrupts relates to jitter. This may help you decide what the end goal is. If you end up with an all in one box this will still be helpful reading.

Thanks for all the input.

The 2ghz spec is from Yamaha which is making it more challenging (lots of sub 2gz minis). Can't find a Dell mini over 1.9ghz. Glad to know I don't need more than 2ghz for streaming.

It will be dedicated, we have tablets and work laptops. Good info though. Yamaha wrote setup instructions for foobar so that's likely what I'll use as well, have been reading about JRiver Media Center also.

I have an Dell i7 4790 next to my plasma. Fan is not audible even with no audio signal. Perfect for playing YT concerts.

I did some poking around in the intel site and there are 2ghz+ atom offerings.

intel atom

I dropped one of the proc. models into the auction house search a found things like this:
"MINI PC HTPC,Intel ATOM D2700,2.13GHz,DDR3 SO-DIMM 2GB,SSD 16GB Fanless 1080p OA"

This particular one didn't say if the power supply is external. Something that is likely favorable over internal for audio.

Edit: Add that this processor can also handle 4GB max of memory^^^

Last edited:
Just to confuse you, a 2GHz Atom CPU is slower then many lower clocked CPU's, it is not faster then a 1.6GHz Pentium M fx.

Always take GHz requirements with a grain of salt.

I wouldn't doubt it. The atom really is a bottom of the barrel fare. I think I have $80 into one.

The price with quiet appliance type attributes are there for consideration. More processor is not required for jriver. It all comes down to what else it may need to do.

The thing with moving disk drives, fans, and internal power supply is the added internal noise.

I wonder why Yamaha has that 2GHz requirement, audio streaming doesn't require much CPU power at all.
What it needs is low DPC latency without spikes, and a decent audio device.
I mean, my T43p, is a ~5% load when streaming music through ASIO, while running at 800MHz...

A better requirement would be USB 2.0 and an OS that supports USB audio.

Same here. I'm scratching my head over this 2GHz seemingly random spec.
Propriety software requirement that is optional from Yamaha possibly.

They offer the driver for mac and windows 7 or 8 32/64. And it is usb2 compatible.

http://download.yamaha.com/search/d...tegory_id=16454&product_id=1799317&1419197146

I looked for a Mini HTPC but haven't found a windows version--looks good though. I also found an ASUS Vivopc that looks good.

http://www.sabrepc.com/asus-compute...ktop-computer.html?utm_source=google_shopping

My only concern with the ASUS is they seem to have stopped making them. Maybe they weren't selling due to cost, but maybe they were having issues. Anyone have any experience with these?

Back
Top Bottom