Sharing my current streaming setup

Markoneswift

Quartz locked n ready to rock
It's been a while since I really looked at setting up a streaming system that works well so I thought I would post my recent efforts.

My criteria was to stream FLAC / MP3 from my uPNP server to my rig in another room and utilise my phone as the controller (which runs Android). I wanted the best sound quality possible and not have to tether my phone to anything. I also had to use existing kit which is an Apple Airport Express, wfi network, Cambridge Audio amp.

After some reseach I found a great app called Air Audio for Android which captures Android system audio to an Airplay stream. This requires a rooted device so I went ahead and rooted my phone. I then installed Kodi for Android which talks to my uPNP server no problem. Anything I play on my phone is now streamed to my Airport Express which then uses its excellent DAC to convert into analog for my amp.

It's a pretty simple setup and it works really well - I streamed a few tracks last night, playing through the JBL L110's and I was blown away by the clarity and imaging of the sound.

Air Audio is pretty nice. I primarily use Bubble upnp for streaming from the nas to one of the endpoints, but there are times when I want system audio instead, and in that case Air works well - for stuff like listening to a podcast on the main rig.

Back
Top Bottom