Sharp RT-3388a Speed Problem

Solodude

Hi! I know these are not desirable decks for most people, but I love the look, the large analog meters and the dual counters, memory, clock, and timer features of the deck. It also sounds better than the specs would indicate. Mechanically, I have it in great shape and the transport works perfectly. I did a mod to add more lighting using a wall wart and the timer AC output as I couldn't find the correct bulbs to replace some of the display lamps. It may not sound as precise as my 3-head decks, but that isn't really what I bought it for and it is hard to find one of these that still has a working microprocessor.
At any rate, this deck has an issue when it powers on where it starts playing slower after it warms up for a few minutes. I don't have the test equipment I used to have back in my component-level troubleshooting days, but I did note the voltage appears to drop about half a volt at the motor as it warms up. I looked at the schematic and see the motor circuit taps off the secondary on the main transformer separately from the main power supply. I actually had a new spare capstan motor I swapped in thinking perhaps the circuitry inside the motor itself was causing issues, but that didn't make a difference. Unfortunately, the docs I have don't indicate whether the voltages shown are with the load of the motor running or without it. I did think about replacing the five or so electrolytics in the circuit as they might be likely causes of issues considering their age. I also tried disconnecting the brake to see if that part of the circuit was the cause, but no joy there.

I'm wondering if anyone here has encountered a similar issue with the motor struggling after warmup on one of these or one of the many variations of this deck sold as both Sharp and Optonica. I bought some freeze spray and my next idea was to try spraying components when the problem shows up. I would have no problem sending it off to be repaired, but am concerned about the microprocessor or LCD getting damaged in shipping.

If anyone has encountered a similar issue with one of these decks, I'm curious what you did to resolve it.

Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom