1. Time for some upgrades in server hardware and software to enhance security and take AK to the next level. Please contribute what you can to sales@audiokarma.org at PayPal.com - Thanks from the AK Team
    Dismiss Notice

Shawshank Redemption

Discussion in 'Movies & Television' started by qdrone, Aug 5, 2013.

1. c.coyle

c.coyle All solid state except for the tubes Subscriber

I like this movie, but would not put it in my top 20. My favorite prison flick is Cool Hand Luke.

I find lots of movie critics terribly overlong, hollow, and predictable.

parman and beat_truck like this.

Please register to disable this ad.

2. brian222

brian222 AK Subscriber Subscriber

Brighthouse/Spectrum run it every damn week. Is there nothing else out there?

soundmotor likes this.
  3. 62caddy

62caddy Trust but verify Subscriber

Whatever its merits or flaws from a critical standpoint, few films have more memorable quotes & scenes as Shawshank with a similarly impressive number of references in popular culture.

darkblue94 and travellersol like this.
  4. soundmotor

soundmotor super modified Subscriber

"I'll pull you out of that one-bunk Hilton and cast you down with the Sodomites. You'll think you've been fucked by a train!." is the only one that comes to mind.

MarZutra likes this.
  5. 62caddy

o_O "Get busy living or get busy dying." rings no bells then?

6. soundmotor

I recognize it now that you posted but could not have won a bar bet.

7. 62caddy

The fact that you do recognize it is the point- regardless of whether you could identify the original source. :)

8. nailer

nailer audionerd Subscriber

Shawshank is a good movie and King's story is even better.

I've seen it but once and don't remember any memorable quotes, even the two mentioned above. When it comes to memorable quotes Blade Runner, Casablanca, Star Wars, Lawrence of Arabia, 2001: a space odyssey, Sunset Boulevard and The Wizard of Oz spring immediately to mind. :thumbsup:

Last edited: Dec 2, 2017
    I LIKE MUSIC likes this.
  9. soundmotor

That line of reasoning never worked on my teachers unfortunately as far as my post-exam grade challenges went.

10. misterjones

misterjones Active Member

I liked everything about the movie except when Red was able to recall the name of the Mexican town (Zihuatenejo) which I think Andy mentioned once in passing. No way anyone would remember that. San What a Who? Zee Zee Nay-a Hay-o? Zing San Way to Go Ho? Maybe it wasn't even Mexico . . . hmmmmm.

BigElCat likes this.
  11. soundmotor

/relevant

BigElCat likes this.

12. travellersol

travellersol Active Member

I like the show, it is one of my all time favorites. I can watch this film once in every few years and every time it is as exciting as the first time. It is no point to keep arguing about which movie is The World's Best Movie of all time, because everybody would have his/her Best Movie anyway isn't it?

Some of my other all time favorites: Das Boot, Donny Brasco, 12 Angry Men, To Kill A Mocking Bird, The Great Escape, Out of Africa, A Passage to India, The Mission, God Father I & II, My Fair Lady, Breakfast at Tiffany's, La Grande Bellezza (The Great Beauty), Lawrence of Arabia, The Day of the Jackal, and...... boy, the list is almost unstoppable!

darkblue94, I LIKE MUSIC and Pio1980 like this.
  13. Bosphrous

Bosphrous Active Member

It's fairly decent. I gave it a 7 at IMDB. On the other hand, I gave An Innocent Man a 10.
    Shawshank Redemption introduces us to the idea of innocent persons in prison, but An Innocent Man takes it at least one step further.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2017
    MarZutra likes this.
  14. Bosphrous

Bosphrous Active Member

I thought The Green Mile was unnecessarily dark and mean: A candy-coated excuse for torture, wrongful imprisonment and execution. Typical Stephen King produce.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2017
    parman likes this.
  15. judsonw

judsonw Well-Known Member

16. Pio1980

Pio1980 AK Member Subscriber

This, and The Green Mile are on my top list of several, some of which have been mentioned.

17. ducati_EL34

ducati_EL34 Super Member

That is how real prison is.

Dude111 and darkblue94 like this.
  18. Bosphrous

Bosphrous Active Member

Yes, but with a hands-on healer as the main character, the film masquerades as something lofty.

19. Pio1980

Pio1980 AK Member Subscriber

This mystical element device is an expected trope in any Stephen King story. King doesn't do documentaries, he does explorations of human interactions, with a mystical aspect. His depictions of human faults and frailties are usually accurate portrayals.

20. parman

parman Grinch Subscriber

I like Morgan Freeman narration when he says; The last thing to go through the warden brain, before that 38 slug.....