Sherwood S5000

PakProtector

AK member
hey-Hey!!!,
After reading so much good stuff about these liddle amps, I could not pass on the chance to acquire one. I should have it by Thanksgiving. This is an early one, with 7189's for finals. It will need some work to deal with the old 'lytics, but that is only time and a bit of $$.

Douglas

The 7189 version is supposedly a little gem with quite a following. Look forward to seeing how it turns out for you.

Definitely -- well, from my perspective, definitely ;) -- the coolest morph of that amplifier.

but, but...
what do you want with a store-bought amplifier? :)

Definitely -- well, from my perspective, definitely ;) -- the coolest morph of that amplifier.

but, but...
what do you want with a store-bought amplifier? :)

A point, to be sure...LOL It is a cool old amp, and I have heard enough good stuff about it to be sure I won't want to throw it outta bed. Who knows, it could be I will find somebody who needs it more than I. I am lightly charged with keeping it in a good home.
cheers,
Douglas

Sweet sounding amp. Just updated one as well and love the tube rectified sound.

Pictures are a must when you get it.

Sweet sounding amp. Just updated one as well and love the tube rectified sound.

Pictures are a must when you get it.

Tube rectifiers are The Way indeed. Would love to set it up to run a pair of 816's. And reduce the B+ so it could run Class A( a separate supply for just the finals ), and...

But none of that stuff will fit into the chassis...not even close. Probably not even enough room for a single, small PS choke....LOL

Douglas

My favorite amp in my collection. I think I have some pic of my restoration. I'll see if I can find them?

I just did a basic update on it and it sounds superb. Not a lot of room on these under the hood though.
0805171124.jpg

My main cap ran hot and was leaking too. Ran it only enough to know it worked before I replaced it.
0812172010a.jpg

I have the amp. It still has Sherwood-labeled 7199's and an f33 GZ34. The 12AX7's are all Tele's. The finals are something modern. Need to remove some dust...:)

I also have a solid instruction/maint manual with a legible schematic.
cheers,
Douglas

Last edited:
The small signal stuff...:) In evidence under the cover is the selenium rectifier stack...that is going to be another casualty of the re-fit.

Douglas

Attachments

• Tele.jpg
    Tele.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 33
Sweet. Does it work?
Dood, I don't know...and I can tell you that with more than 5x the design life under a few of the critical bits, I am not going to fire it until I have replaced them. Can't risk this pup to impatience....besides, how much of its capability will it show with 'lytics that old?

cheers,
Dougals

Back
Top Bottom