ship to Italy ? would you ?

gentlejax

guy wants to buy my preamp. I figure USPS is the only way to go out of the USA. anything I need to know? is Italy safe to send too?

guy wants to buy my preamp. I figure USPS is the only way to go out of the USA. anything I need to know? is Italy safe to send too?
I will warning you, be careful because the problem is not USPS, the problem is the custom over there. Your preamp may be several months dead quiet in the custom area.
Good luck.

If you're doing it thru eBay, use the Global Shipping Program (GSP) option. That'll take care of your exposure if the item is lost/diverted/delayed/held for ransom by the postal or Customs authorities in Italy, which has been known to happen. Once you get the package to the Erlanger Kentucky forwarding facility, eBay assumes all of those risks.

John

have the buyer arrange shipping and reasonably pay you for bullet proof packaging . i have had custom boxes made and found the correct packaging for free . never had a problem that way .. if i arrange shipping thats a different story i dont want to mention .

Either eBay GSP as said or USPS global priority if it is confirmed delivery.

Italy customs sucks hard.
Warn the buyer about it.
I've seen 45 days to clear customs years ago.
Buyer got a little hot just before it arrived.

If it's not eBay GSP and it's USPS but they cannot confirm delivery, forget it unless they pay cash.

Get paid before you send it and also collect Italian and European Union import taxes, then DHL is a German parcel service and you can call their 1-800 number to obtain the exact method necessary to include import forms and how to pay taxes before you send your parcel. Because if you don't pay the EU taxes your parcel will end up in limbo. Then the purchaser can complain and will take measures to get their money back. There is an EU tax for anything entering any EU country and if you don't collect the EU tax you will have pay the tax yourself. A few countries make the purchaser pay the taxes like Germany and Portugal, but I'm not sure about Italy.....

Either eBay GSP as said or USPS global priority if it is confirmed delivery.

Italy customs sucks hard.
Warn the buyer about it.
I've seen 45 days to clear customs years ago.
Buyer got a little hot just before it arrived.

If it's not eBay GSP and it's USPS but they cannot confirm delivery, forget it unless they pay cash.

100% correct.

I had a customer from Italy BEG me to send a $7.50 packet of stainless steel washers to Italy. I finally broke down and did it - cost about $30 in postage Tracking worked great until the package hit Italy - then it ended. I kept checking for 60 days. I never heard from the customer, so I assume they showed up. Guess I'll never know.

I shipped to Italy once on an eBay deal, and it was one of my better transactions thru that site. In my experience, most eBay-holes are 'mericans.

Italy is a known problematic country for EBay sales. I would talk to the buyer, and find a reliable broker/shipper in your area. Hand deliver the gear to them, and then have them directly call the buyer for specific instructions. Once you drop the gear off at the shipper, you are done. Everything is on the buyer.

If you're doing it thru eBay, use the Global Shipping Program (GSP) option. That'll take care of your exposure if the item is lost/diverted/delayed/held for ransom by the postal or Customs authorities in Italy, which has been known to happen. Once you get the package to the Erlanger Kentucky forwarding facility, eBay assumes all of those risks.

John

I agree. I have used the Global Shipping Program. It works well and I didn't have any issues. In the last couple of years I have limited my listings to North America only. At least the eBay shipping program will give you a safety buffer as a seller. eBay has really been screwing over sellers in the last few years. However, based on a situation I was in recently with a non paying buyer, I was actually very surprised at how much protection they offered to me as the seller.

You are asking for sleepless nights. Customs takes forever and you get to answer the where's my package questions. GSP if you have to. Research foreign refund laws. Some countries allow refund with no recourse for seller to recover item.

I do not ship to Russia, Hungary, Italy, Spain and a few other countries because of the hassles with their crap postal systems

I wouldn't or spain for that matter, the postal service there is very slow. You might end up refunding when it doesn't show up in 2 months.

Back
Top Bottom