Shipping Large Speakers to Canada from USA

RDSChicago

Has anyone had experience? We have an account at FedEx. What are the procedures? Will FedEx know how to do it in terms of required forms, like commercial invoices, etc.?

Does the shipper in USA pay customs are they imposed only on the buyer's end in Canada? The buyer is paying all shipping/customs costs.

Thanks.

You will have to sign some of the customs documents, FedEx has them, and the counterperson can help you with that. Duties/tariffs/taxes are imposed by Canada Customs, and payable by the consignee, if they own the goods, when the shipment arrives at the border. which is the case if your waybill says FOB Origin. Typically, FedEx will broker the deal, and show up at the consignee's door with a COD bill of the imposed amount, PLUS the FedEx fee for performing the service. The last time a US shipper sent something to me, via FedEx, the tax payable was $6.50CAD on a $50CAD ($35USD, at the time) item, and the FedEx fee, for clearing the shipment, was $59.95CAD + tax, or $67.74CAD. That, plus the FedEx shipping costs, which I paid, tripled the cost of my item.

If your buyer has purchased gear from US sellers, they should be aware of this, and prepared for it. You might want to make sure, before you go through with the deal. If they refuse the charge at time of delivery, FedEx may return the goods to you, at your expense, or bill you for the extra charges.

Doesn't have to be. I've purchased audio items from the U.S. tons of times, and although 99% have been via my U.S. postal box, I have had several shipped to my house here in British Columbia. UPS and Fed Ex came to the door, I paid for the associated fees, and received my item(s), no problem whatsoever. I would make sure that your purchaser understands he/she is on the hook completely for all costs, and that you have some feedback on their past behaviour prior to doing business with them. Since the vast majority of Canada's population live within 100km of the border, I would also find out if your purchaser is prepared to pick up the item in the U.S. (from a post box, or coming straight to you), and bring it back with them, which (depending on where they live) may be cheaper than cross border shipment.

As mentioned, it's the customs fees that kill you. Seems to me that's only an issue with commercial shippers like FedEx and UPS though - Canada Post and USPS have reciprocal agreements that bypass the additional handling and expense as they bypass customs.

Catch 22 though ... I think that only works on Express service, which can be pretty pricey. Still worth checking if you do decide to go through with it. Express DOES have insurance built into the rate, which can be a good thing. I got a turntable from Canada a while back that was pretty much destroyed in shipment - I sent the seller info and pics so they could process the claim on their end and got a full refund.

Anyway ... another option to check. Never tried it with speakers though ... gotta think that's gonna make the wallet a whole lot lighter, eh.

The customs fees will be decided at the border and charged to the buyer at delivery. I believe USPS has a better chance of getting through customs without extra charge, but I pretty much always get charged when something comes UPS. Don't count on it though.

It's not thr Customs fees, but the brokerage fees that Fedex and UPS charge that are onerous. Plus, if the recipient doesn't pay them, Fedex and UPS chargeback the shipper for them. It happened to me on a small amp I sent there and I have never used either vendor for intetnational services since then.

I use the Post Office for all Canadian shipments, actually all international ones, and the only issue with them is carton size. Most countries are 79", but Canada is 108" so you can ship up to a 36x18x18 there.

Good luck!

If you are shipping to a city near the border you can have it sent to a ups store and they can drive it right over the boarder

Again, folks, it's not 'customs fees' that Canada charges, it is sales tax. There is supposed to be a $60CAD floor, for gifts, below which sales tax is not collected. If the item is not marked gift, or has a value of greater than $60CAD, then 13% sales tax will be charged. The fee for collecting and forwarding that money is where FedEx and, to a lesser degree, UPS ding you. CanadaPost, which delivers shipments that originated with USPS, charges $5.95 for this fee.

Andy, FedEx only charges back to the shipper if the consignee refuses to pay the bill, which FexEx mails out. UPS usually collects at the door, unless they were foolish enough to leave it without collecting. That happened to me, years ago. They may be better at this, now.

If you are shipping to a city near the border you can have it sent to a ups store and they can drive it right over the boarder

Not everyone can drive across the border, for various reasons. A DUI, for example, or other conviction, within the last 10 years, will keep you from crossing. No passport, no out-of-province medical coverage, no driver's license, any of these, or others, as well, will have the same effect.

No but some people can I'm just trying to give the op options that may help save shipping charges.. the fees they charge on goods are ridiculous

When our company back in the 80s and 90s used to ship to customers in Canada, more often than not, the customers had freight forwarding companies they used. For BC (Vancouver and vicinity), we used to ship to a forwarder in Blaine WA. Point is, if a Canadian buyer commonly buys items from the US, there is a chance they may have some sort of freight forwarding arrangement in place. It made our jobs easier since all of the details were handled by the forwarder, and we shipped the package just like any other within the US.

On the other hand, we have friends up in Goderich ON who come over to the US at least once per month to do their shopping in Sarnia, and I have received items for them at my place, and meet up to do the swap when they would come over to the US. Nice arrangement if you can swing it. ;)

Back
Top Bottom